Is it possible to have a sleepingbag/hammock/bivy

While laying awake at four in the morning in my homemade parachute silk hammock freezing cold I wished I had a bottom quilt, but then I thought well I don't want to Carry the bottom of the sleeping bag simple conclusion I'll use a quilt like Ray jardine. So why not just have the Bottom quilt cover the entire hammock and have a zipper on the edges. Anyways I was just thinking could I make a mummy shaped parachute silk bag to support my weight then baffle all the way around. Basically like a mummy bag with cords on either end holding me up. Maybe mesh over the face. So this way when I do the pct in two years if there are no trees in socal I can just use it on the ground as a sleeping bag with out any extra weight. Just a 4am thought.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Anything is possible ..... I reckon you could! Only way to know is to experiment.....
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Panda Hammock is close to what you're talking about, except it has condensation issues.

I've found that gear either does one thing extremely well or, at best, a few things acceptably. As long as you can accept the trade-offs, I don't think it would be too difficult to build what you're talking about.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DIY Nylon
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    AHE webbing
    I've often wondered the same thing.
    Why doesn't someone make a "winter hammock" with the bottom quilt semi-permanently or permanently attached? It would make set-up quick & easy and eliminate adjusting the quilt during the night. It could have added insulation where it's needed and be a bit thin toward the edges.
    Might be a good many people who enjoy cold weather camping would go for it!

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy hex
    Insulation
    diy kaq & down top
    Images
    I think Just Jeff's site has a "down hammock" in a couple of versions, which is basically a permanently attached / built in underquilt.
    A good caver never loses her pack.

This comes up quite often here, I always post the same response. If you want a bag that can be used equally well on the ground or in a hammock, get a Feathered Friends Rock Wren, or the Winter Wren. You can special order it with a longer zipper than the 36in standard center zipper, enabling you to use it as a quilt in warmer weather. There is a four or five ounce weight penalty over a JRB No Sniveler, and I find they are about equally as warm (but you must use a JRB Down Hood to get there with the No Sniveler).

As for zippers on an UQ, I think it's a bad idea, zippers are heavy and they won't snug the UQ against your body. If you look at ALL successful UQ designs, they incorporate shock cord to snug the hammock against your body. I don't know, maybe you have sweet sewing machine and killer skill with it, unlimited time and money for materials, maybe you'll design a better mousetrap, but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by wabi View Post
    I've often wondered the same thing.
    Why doesn't someone make a "winter hammock" with the bottom quilt semi-permanently or permanently attached? It would make set-up quick & easy and eliminate adjusting the quilt during the night. It could have added insulation where it's needed and be a bit thin toward the edges.
    Might be a good many people who enjoy cold weather camping would go for it!
    If you look at what just the top skin of something like a Warbonnet UQ weighs and compare it to zippers, you'll have your answer. Because it's heavier, and won't work as well.

Hammock
    Exped combo, exped basic
    Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    This comes up quite often here, I always post the same response. If you want a bag that can be used equally well on the ground or in a hammock, get a Feathered Friends Rock Wren, or the Winter Wren. You can special order it with a longer zipper than the 36in standard center zipper, enabling you to use it as a quilt in warmer weather. There is a four or five ounce weight penalty over a JRB No Sniveler, and I find they are about equally as warm (but you must use a JRB Down Hood to get there with the No Sniveler).

As for zippers on an UQ, I think it's a bad idea, zippers are heavy and they won't snug the UQ against your body. If you look at ALL successful UQ designs, they incorporate shock cord to snug the hammock against your body. I don't know, maybe you have sweet sewing machine and killer skill with it, unlimited time and money for materials, maybe you'll design a better mousetrap, but I doubt it.
    I'm with you I have used the Winter wren for years like "A pig in blanket".
    Also the Exped Wallcreeper Long works great. When I use the two I'm able to go plus -0 with comfort.

fourdog

Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock - Tropical
    Tarp
    S to S Tarp Poncho
    Insulation
    Mont Sleeping Bags
    Images
    I got stuck at a spit (where the water from a passage meets the ocean) and had to stay the night to wait for a passing fisherman to take me over. There was nothing there but sand and a few shrubs. So I accepted it and hung my hammock between two shrubs. I had to sleep on the cold sand but atleast I had a mozzie net and tarp to keep me dry. Now it would have been better that I had a pad/thermarest/mattress rather than an underquilt it that situation. It would have been better comfort and better insulation. I, had neither, and froze, and with it being pitch black I couldn't even see a mass of sea wood gathered that would have made a nice fire to warm the sand...anyway, that's a tangent...that's my advice.
    Cocksy from Down Under

http://www.seqhistory.com

Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock - Tropical
    Tarp
    S to S Tarp Poncho
    Insulation
    Mont Sleeping Bags
    Images

Cool Cold Survivor

I got stuck at a spit (where the water from a passage meets the ocean) and had to stay the night to wait for a passing fisherman to take me over. There was nothing there but sand and a few shrubs. So I accepted it and hung my hammock between two shrubs. I had to sleep on the cold sand but atleast I had a mozzie net and tarp to keep me dry. Now it would have been better that I had a pad/thermarest/mattress rather than an underquilt it that situation. It would have been better comfort and better insulation. I, had neither, and froze, and with it being pitch black I couldn't even see a mass of sea wood gathered that would have made a nice fire to warm the sand...anyway, tangent...that's my advice.
    Cocksy from Down Under

http://www.seqhistory.com

• + New Posts