Noob ridgeline question.

I have an ENO double nest with the bug net...Kelty Noah 12X12 tarp....BlueWater 1'' Climb-Spec Tubular Webbing as suspension...11 feet for each end if needed. That is it. I will use it for 3 or 4 night stays at campsites for fishing trips. I am car camping so weight is not an issue with me..just want to be comfortable and dry. Other than hanging the bug net what is the ridgeline used for? I have read that some use one and some don't..that it is personal preference. That it can be used for hanging gear from and also have read where it is an integral line for hanging fly. While I am not new to camping I am a lot older and the gear is far better. Since this is the right place to ask about the suspension does anyone have an opinion about the straps I am using? They do stretch but have a 1500 pound rating.

Regards

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Check out this article for ridgeline info .....http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock4.html
    I don't know about the suspension your using ... give it a go. You'll know if it is not good.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    A structural ridgeline provides a consistent sag of the hammock. The sag of a hammock can change depending on how far apart the trees are or how high up the tree you set the straps. More or less sag is allows you to lay more or less asymmetrically i.e. flatter with less pressure from the sides of the hammock. With the ridgeline set your preferred amount of sag will be more consistent regardless of the distance of the trees or how high or low you straps end up on ther tree.
    Last edited by Bubba; 06-27-2010 at 23:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Check out this article for ridgeline info .....http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock4.html
    I don't know about the suspension your using ... give it a go. You'll know if it is not good.
    Shug
    Thanks.. I had found that write up and read it. The more I read about hammocks I am finding that there are a lot of different ways to accomplish the same result. Your videos....which I am still vewing....have given me some good tips already...ie: pullouts....Figure 9's. Nice job.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by odds View Post
    A structural ridgeline provides a consistent sag of the hammock. The sag of a hammock can change depending on how far apart the trees are or how high up the tree you set the straps. More or less sag is allows you to lay more or less asymmetrically i.e. flatter with less pressure from the sides of the hammock. With the ridgeline set your preferred amount of sag will be more consistent regardless of the distance of the trees or how high or low you straps end up on ther tree.
    Ok...this is a big problem I am having and had no idea what was causing it. When in the hammock I feel as if I am being crushed from the sides in the shoulder area. It is very uncomfortable. I am assuming I want less sag to lay flatter.

Regards

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
    Thanks.. I had found that write up and read it. The more I read about hammocks I am finding that there are a lot of different ways to accomplish the same result. Your videos....which I am still vewing....have given me some good tips already...ie: pullouts....Figure 9's. Nice job.

Regards
    Thankee .... hope they help.

Ok...this is a big problem I am having and had no idea what was causing it. When in the hammock I feel as if I am being crushed from the sides in the shoulder area. It is very uncomfortable. I am assuming I want less sag to lay flatter.

Regards
    I use more sag ..... a great deal to get flatter and have mo' shoulder room.
    ridgeline is very easy to do and un-do until you start to find your sweetspot.
    I'll admit ... it is a very personal thing. Everyone seems to like a wee bit of a different sagginess.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    There two different kinds of ridgeline..One for your tarp, and one for your hammock. Two seperate critters.

Try a length of paracord or go hi tech and whoopie sling some zing it for your hammock. Attach the cord to the head and foot ends of your hammock where the suspension hooks in. Tighten it up a little at a time (1-2 inches) and give it a test lay.

More sag will relax the hammock, the ridgeline will carry the load from head to foot.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images

Regards
    As Shug said, you maybe need more sag and then lay a little diagonal to the ridgeline. IIRC a good starting point is the ridgeline should be around 80% of the length of your hammock and then adjust to your preference.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    OES Ultra
    Insulation
    Under Ground Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Next Progression of Eno Mods

I've completed a couple of mods to by ENO DBN. I've added a structural Ridge Line that is about 91". When I'm at about 10 Deg offset, I'm super comfortable. I think I've found the sweet spot!. I'm still working on the suspension, waiting on an order for a couple of Whoopie Slings.

Next thing on my list is getting some protection from flying critters. I"m not crazy about the ENO bug netting, anyone have any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate your comments. Here are some things to consider.

1. Have added aluminum "O" rings to each end.
    2. Have added a Structural Ridge Line that is about 91" from ring to ring.
    3. As you might guess, this Ridge Line is more than a couple of feet from the bottom of the hammock, good amount of sag.
    4. As I've stated this is the ENO Double Nest.
    5. I'm about 5'8" and 175 give or take a few Lb's.

• + New Posts