Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

Help! IX underquilt problem.

Received the newer Mac IX UQ. Am having issues with getting what I think is the foot and head end to "seal" tight. Hammock is the WBBB 1.1 single, uq is the one designed for the WB hammocks. Attached to the hammock via the uq shock cord suspension to a mini-biner/prusik line that is attached to the WS. Hanging it real tight seems to be the best. Tight enough to lift the unoccupied hammock (like the Yeti does). When a breeze kicks in or when I move I can feel the cooling effect of my warm insulated air being displaced by the cooler ambient air.

Anyone with suggestions before I make a mod that may deal with the draft?
    Modification would be sew a channels at each end, run some shock chord and maybe a cord lock (bit like JRB design) except I would also sew a inner layer baffle tube.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by koaloha05 View Post
    Anyone with suggestions before I make a mod that may deal with the draft?
    You could contact MacEntyre.

First of all, your shoulders should be at the edge of the UQ, not your head. Your shoulders do a better job of filling up the UQ and sealing the edge of the head end.

Second, try to make the suspension tight enough to close the edge gaps when you are inside, but leaving the bottom only barely touching the hammock. This is less critical with the newer IX UQ, because of the differential cut.

Third, try laying on the diagonal in the UQ. The UQ edges close up well when you are on the diagonal in the UQ.

If the cold air spills in, the edges are not tight enough. Tighten the suspension. I like to hang the suspension on the hammock whipping, with one an extra wrap if necessary. You can use a close hitch, which also works best when you bias the suspension to lay on the diagonal.

If you get CBS, then the bottom is too tight. Loosen the suspension. This does not sound like your problem.

Feel free to PM or email me if you have more questions!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES MAC
    Insulation
    IX or Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I have a WBBB and had similar problems with Mac's advice i was able to get it to hang just right.It was a little to touchy for me so I had Mac put a channel on the head and toe ends with shock cord running threw them and man it makes the set up a no brainer super easy to get everything seal but have the IX hanging just right. I can set it up yself with out any fuss or muss either way you go IX with the Mac shape to it rules.

Mac is one of the best in customer service if you need anything he is always more then happy to help.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Well, now you let the cat out of the bag, Smitty!

Smitty's is the only one that has end channels. I still think they are unnecessary, but after doing everything I suggested, Smitty insisted.
    [He's also a repeat customer. ]

SnowWhite is tall, but not big. During her current AT thru-hike, she switched to an IX UQ for her WBBB for a few weeks during the warm weather in PA. I was worried that she would not fill up the largest IX UQ. With minimal written instructions from me, she had no trouble keeping the edges tight, without compressing the IX against her backside, and hers is not the version with the differential cut.

So, Koaloha05, I encourage you to tweak your Universal IX UQ and find the best way to hang it for you. Let me know if you have any questions. If, in the end, you find that it eludes you, we can talk about adding channels. It's easier with the new construction, but it does involve poking holes in the IX.

Let me know how it goes!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    I think there are a few of us now with significant time on a MacIX...being 10 or more nights...well SnowWhite I'm sure has many many more.
    I'd just like to remind those interested that with any underquilt a minimum of dialing in has to take place. None of us are made the same. But once the tweeking is done you basically set it and forget it.
    On last weeks paddle trip I loved the fact that I could toss the MacIX into a hatch without regard for a drybag...in fact the only thing in a dry bag was my down TQ and my down camp jacket. For paddle camping drybags are a must but they really limit the space available in the hatch...since the MacIX doesn't have to be so protected from water it becomes great filler in the hatch for the little nooks and crannies. This is important when you are going to live out of the kayak for a week and every inch is precious.
    For me dialing in the MacIX was simply adding a loop in the shockcord shortening the shockcord and simply going over the whipped end of the BlackBird. It might take 2-3 tries at home to get it cynched but the process shouldn't take over 10 minutes---less if you got someone to 'pat' and observe from the outside.
    Just another 0.02

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

Great customer service!

I think Mac and I have figured out my problem. It's me. I'm too short (5'4"). With the head end of the uq at the right location relative to the body for proper seal the foot end is too far toward that end of the hammock. Tweaking options were try to add a chord over the top of the ridgeline or too shorten the quilt. The other option is Mac has allowed me to trade the quilt for the 2/3 length. Much appreciated!
    Noel V.

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by koaloha05 View Post
    Received the newer Mac IX UQ. Am having issues with getting what I think is the foot and head end to "seal" tight.
    ====> I am a proponent of "Grip Clips". They allow me to put a guy-out point anyplace on fabric. At my recent NH hang, I used an opened fleece sleeping bag as an UQ, and attached it using the GC's. The head and foot ends were opened, and I wanted to close the head end up to the hammock, so I simply placed two GCs close to each other on either side of the midline, and guyed it up to the ridgeline using 10" bungee cords. Worked GREAT!

Just two days ago, I found an Indoor-outdoor blanket at LL Bean, one side is water and wind-proof poly, the other non-absorbent fleece! Could also be used as a tarp, or TQ methinks. I will using that one at the upcoming Vermont hang with the GCs. Still too warm here for a real down UQ, but still need something for warmth underneath.

I bet the GCs could be used to bring about any UQ material up to the hammock end.
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyPainter View Post
    ====> I am a proponent of "Grip Clips". They allow me to put a guy-out point anyplace on fabric. At my recent NH hang, I used an opened fleece sleeping bag as an UQ, and attached it using the GC's. The head and foot ends were opened, and I wanted to close the head end up to the hammock, so I simply placed two GCs close to each other on either side of the midline, and guyed it up to the ridgeline using 10" bungee cords. Worked GREAT!

Just two days ago, I found an Indoor-outdoor blanket at LL Bean, one side is water and wind-proof poly, the other non-absorbent fleece! Could also be used as a tarp, or TQ methinks. I will using that one at the upcoming Vermont hang with the GCs. Still too warm here for a real down UQ, but still need something for warmth underneath.

I bet the GCs could be used to bring about any UQ material up to the hammock end.

Would it be too much to ask for a picture of this setup?

Miguel

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyPainter View Post
    Respectfully, I don't believe the problem will be solved with grip clips. The edges need to go toward the hammock, not away from it.

The OP was not filling up the UQ, so the edges fell away from the hammock. Grip Clips and guys would only pull it further away. Additional darts, a shortened end, or a new 3/4 IX UQ all would solve the problem.

- MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    Would it be too much to ask for a picture of this setup?

Miguel
    ===> I have a pic on my work computer, and will upload it when I get back on Tuesday.
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast