Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cold hammock and 'lil cold, wet me

I am going up in the mountains tomorrow so I need some pretty quick advice, if possible. (I would usually plan better, but well.... long story)

The temp. will be in the low 40's or maybe 30's (depends where I camp on the mountain), probably rain, and I use an HH expedition. Last time I was in low 40's I wore my underarmor as an inner layer, fleece sweatshirt as outer. A beanie (probably cotton), cotton socks and no pad from my zero degree bag and hammock.

Basically, my feet were frozen and most of my legs were too. Upper body was fine.

Since I don't got that much time ( 1 day ) I was planning on buying some wool socks from some generic department store and maybe a wool beanie, one of those blue pads from walmart, and I have also seen some cheap rain gear there too. 20$ for rain pants and jacket. I wish I could remember what they were made of. I think there were nylon on the outside and fleece on the inside... not sure though.

Please share some knowledge on my possible decision. Hopefully I can aquire what I need before tomorrow. Thanks for any and all help

P.S. I also have one of those self-inflating air mats. that's supposed to inflate to 1.5 inches, but to me it looks like bearly 1 inch. I probably made the mistake of buying it cause it was the cheapest darn thing I could find for air mats.

Appreciated!
    -aceatc
    Last edited by aceatc; 09-27-2007 at 10:17.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Changing from cotton to wool is highly recommended for the socks as well as the beanie.

Using a ccf pad will help a lot, but you may have problems staying on it when you move around in the hammock. There are a few ways to help this, including using a SPE or a SuperShelter, but those are probably projects that require more advance planning. For a limited-planning trip, a ccf, or even two, can save you from some misery. Don't be afraid to cut them to size.

The raingear is a personal preference. I personally don't like using 'lined' rain gear because it doesn't breathe well. I prefer to have thin rain shells with ventable openings that I can wear over other layers. That provides more flexability to stay warm/cool under different circumstances, IMO.

Good luck with your trip. I'll bet you learn a lot from the experience.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    It is most important to put something non compressing between you and the hammock.... you may have to fiddle some to keep it in place... but you can survive by turning you pack inside out and placing extra gear, sit pad if you use one etc in the pack and put it under your legs and feet... buy extra large wool socks so they are not tight on the feet.... then when you get back get serieous or a warm, comfortable light set up.

Good luck.... please make a report on your return.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Okay, I'll find the wool socks and beanie.
    (not sure what an SPE is)

I mentioned the raingear, because it know I can obtain it in my time limit and it's cheap. For more flexible/breathable raingear, what would you reccommend?

If I could, I would of planned this out. Just one of those things out of my control...

This will be the first time I've been in this cold of weather, but I have been in a thunderstorm in the mountains before. That was in a tent though

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    [QUOTE=angrysparrow;29552I'll bet you learn a lot from the experience.[/QUOTE]

Could not agree more. Reading is fine, but until you're out in 'it' you'll never really know. Just be careful with the cold; it has a way of sneaking up on ya.

Hammock
    ENO Double & HH Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aceatc View Post
    Okay, I'll find the wool socks and beanie.

I mentioned the raingear, because it know I can obtain it in my time limit and it's cheap. For more flexible/breathable raingear, what would you reccommend?

If I could, I would of planned this out. Just one of those things out of my control...

This will be the first time I've been in this cold of weather, but I have been in a thunderstorm in the mountains before. That was in a tent though
    For raingear, I like the Thunderlight setup from Red Ledge. I use the pants with the full zips on the legs. I can never get my size 13s through the smaller zips without making a mess of everything. The jacket is well vented and breaths pretty well. Best of all, they're pretty light and very durable. You'll have to look around for them. I just checked the REI site and they don't carry Red Ledge. I had ordered mine from Campmor in NJ. It's getting out of season and most stores are stocking the heavier winter gear. Best of luck.
    Peace,
    Joe

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    SPE = 'Segmented Pad Extender'. It is a way of making a pad not only easier to stay on, but also extending coverage. They can be made, or purchased. There is a lot of info on this forum about the SPE if you search.

But, you may decide that you don't like pads in a hammock. The best bet is to use ccf pads to get through your upcoming trip, and then come back here and read, read, read. Lots of different methods/preferences for staying warm in a hammock. You just have to find the one that suits you.

The Red Ledge stuff mentioned above is nice. Some other choices are, Marmot Precip gear, DriDucks gear, or FroggToggs. (FroggToggs makes the DriDucks gear, but it is sold by other vendors). They prices vary a lot depending on brand and materials, but can several can be had for very reasonable costs.
    Last edited by angrysparrow; 09-27-2007 at 11:32.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    I'll second getting away from cotton... As far away as possible, except in the heat of summer when you WANT to be cool.

Go with wool, or with synthetics like polar fleece (malden Mills product) made from polyester. I really like Smartwool Socks. These don't absorb water from your body like cotton does, and then they don't go chilling you because you're wet once you're not as active.

Other synthetics include cool max, or microfibre products, all have exceptional moisture transport qualities and low retention for maximum comfort.

And yes you can learn a lot from reading but nothing beats doing it and seeing for yourself.

Hammock
    HH HLB & AR
    Tarp
    Hammockgear cuben
    Insulation
    MYOG down quilt
    Images
    What about some Frogg Toggs http://www.froggtoggs.com/for raingear - relatively inexpensive and functional.

Hammock
    ENO Double & HH Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xirebos View Post
    What about some Frogg Toggs http://www.froggtoggs.com/for raingear - relatively inexpensive and functional.
    Toggs are a good choice, but I've seen them tear pretty easily.
    Peace,
    Joe

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast