Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images

4 nights 5 days on the LT: longtrip report and pictures

So Im happily and sadely to say that I am back from an amazing 5 days and four nights on the Long Trail in Vermont. I was planning on end to ending the the whole thing but due to injury on the morning of the third day I decided it was no longer safe to be on the trail. My knees swelled up like ballons and by the fifth day It took me 3 hrs to hike 3 miles out to the road crossing and that was on flat trail. Ive always had bad knees but never expected them to inflate like they did. The time I had out their was amazing though and here is my trip report (and gear review to follow in another thread) plus some pictures

On Monday 6/21 me and my buddy left for Clarksburg St Park in MA. We had a great time camping out their. We were their for two nights before my hike to get myself aquanted with my gear and just chill out. I spent the time playing with my bush buddy which I love (when I have dry wood and thanks to WV dave who I thought of on the second day about one of his post saying he dosent wait till camp to get wood and he picks up dry wood along the way on the trail) and my MBA with felt which I am not a fan, I do not like the storing of the MBA in a plastic bag when denatured alchole is soaked in the felt bc when you open up the bag its filled with fumes and just seems dangerous. You also never know how much fuel is left in it or how much primer you need to light it. Every other piece of gear was excellent. My summer burrow and crowsnest kept me nice and warm, BWWD plenty of coverage, ULA Catalyst ridding like a cadalic, I love Paul's gravity filter favorite piece of gear by far. Its just so easy to collect water that way IMHO. Went over packed food, miles for the first week etc... etc....

6/23/10 Day One, N. Adams to Cogdong. 13.3 mi Amazing first day, Started off in North Adams and hiked to the trail spur. It was weird walking through some ones back yard to a trail but also kinda cool. It was really xiting to hit the trail I had a 3.3 up hill battle with some rocks to the VT state line. It was a ruff going but It was really awesome hitting the beggining of the long trail. A years worth of planning and finally got their. I was delighted. It was a perfect day not rainy sun shineing. I learned to LOVE mud real fast. Every step was a twist and turn and a sink in the mud. It was awesome hikeing up my first peak and seeing the first view of vermont and I really enjoyed crossing the wetlands and beaver dam. Pulled into camp about 7ish meet a nice guy who was a SOBO'er finishing his hike the next day and two GMC workers who were building a new privy. All nice guys helped me out the first night in random ways, set up my hammock bear baged my food and off to lala land.

6/24/10 Day two, Congdon shelter to Goddard Shelter 14.5 mi. Woke up with a few so soar muscles but feeling good. I really enjoy wakeing up in the woods and just lying in my hammock enjoying the breeze. Had some breakfest and hit the trail ready to rock and roll. Put on my wet shoes and cloths packed up and hit the trail. It was really awesome entering the Green MT national forest, it really made me feel like I was on my way. The forest was green everywhere it was so beatiful and vibrant with colors. So prestine and un touched. Stoped by a stream for lunch and hiked on to Goddard shelter where I meet a few guys and gals two of whom were going LT NOBO whom I ended up hikeing with for the rest of my trips and various times of the days.

6/25/10 Day Three. 10 mi Goddard Shelter to Story Spring Shelter. Woke up with knees that looked like they had been inflated with water ballons. Every part of my body felt great except my knees. Left Story Spring limping with a smile on my face. It was another beatiful day with no rain. The sun was shineing and I was smileing. The hike that day was really nice. I really enjoyed the brooks on this one lots of really nice streams and some old growth forest. I climed an unamed summit with some great views of VT. Seeing more beaver dams was also really cool. I got to camp a couple of minutes after my buddies who I had been hikeing with. We all started to set up camp and cook dinner and conversation started and we talked about how much we missed beer. No more then a few min later a great guy named Tank came along and offered us up some home brew. It was my first sweet taste of trail magic and boy did it taste good. The four of us hung out for a while and bc of my aching knees I called it an early night. They were sleeping in a shelter that night and were very intrigued by my hammock the next morning and wanted to buy one in town. I talked to them about the difference between an ENO and WBBB and think I explained it ok. One had a four man tent and a 70 pd pack the other a 2 man tent and a 60 pd pack.

6/27/10 Day Four Story Spring to Stranton Pond 10 mi. When I woke this mornign my knees felt no better. They were still swollen but I was determined to tackle at least on MT, Stranton MT the first "real" Mt on the LT. I was very leary of going up it and was going to take the RT around but when I got to the base I was feeling pretty good so I decided I would attempt it. The scenery was amazing. It was a long hard hike up. I wont give the aganizing details of how many times I fell as my knees were buckling going up and down the MT. Any ways the hike up had lots of steep rock steps up and same thing on the way down. It started to drizzle right before I got to summit. I meet the GMC care taker who had been watching over Mt Stranton for over ten years really nice guy. Got to the top of the fire tower and the views werent that clear due to cloudyness. I hiked down to Stranton pond and found a some what of a stealth campsite and set up by the pond for the night. I could hear the bugs buzzing all around me which really made me appriciate my sewn in bug net on my WBBB.

6/27/10 Stranton Pond to Old Rootville Road 3mi. Woke up again to swollen knees. Had a 3 mi hike out to a dirt road where I was hopeing to catch a ride into town. I left stranton pond. The sun was shineing down through the trees onto the lake. It was wonderful wakeing up in my hammock that morning and smelling the fresh air. The view was great. I got to hike through more wilderness today which was by far was my favorite 3 mi of the LT I had hiked so far. To see such prestine wilderness IMHO is truly humbeling and makes me appreciate all things beatiful. I got to the dirt road and luckly enough their was a GMC member and his wife checking out the area, I told them my story and showed um my knees and they gladly drove me back into town. With in being in town an two hrs, I was picked up by my cab driver, taken to his friends house to watch the world cup, droven to albany NY to catch a train home to baltimore officially ending my E2E in a blink of an eye. When asked why I got off the trail my answer simply is "I dident want to be one of those hikers people read about in the news paper then started a thread about". I just dident feel confident in my knees to take my up any more ups or down any more downs. As dissapointing as it was it was a real accomplishment and I cant wait to get back on the trail. It was an experience of a life time and am amazing trip all toogether.

Thank's all for reading be safe and have fun on the trail

~LRR
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Hey thanks for the trip report ... sounds like (other than the knees) a great trip! Bet'cha can't wait to get back out again once those knees heal up huh?

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Thanks for the trip report Bro.....sorry to hear about the knees....
    maybe this fall you should head up my way we can do a weekend hike on the AT .....best time of year too...all the colors
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Yeah Greenles it was a great trip but a bummer bout the knees. Im def down for a fall foliage hike. Lets talk some time soon and plan an weekend. And Thanks hawk eye, plus I like the new cool avatar your have. But now at least this gives me a great excuse to give my fiance why I need to buy new ultra lighter gear

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB DL1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Leigh's 3S & Yeti
    Thanks for the trip report. I had the same problem you ran into with your knees on my E2E this spring. By the time I got to Rutland my knees were killing me. I thankfully was able to get knee braces in town and after a few days wearing those my knees improved. But until then it sure was painful going down hills.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sorry to hear that your journey was cut short due to them ol' knees! I have been on that trail for day hikes and it is lovely.
    I often start some trips with a neoprene brace on a knee and switch it back and forth from knee to knee. Had swelling once and this seems to help control it. Although I admit I always push myself to hard and far. As I temper with age that is changing.
    Hope you get back.
    Terrific report!!!!!!!!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Great trip report thanks for sharing. Hurting knees can sure put a damper on a trip. Been there done that!
    Terry

Great report and thanks for the pic's there bud!!!! Sorry to hear about the knee problem's and it cutting the trip short, but glad to hear that you enjoyed the time you had! Hopefully you can figure something out, maybe do like Shug does and wear a brace on both knees?? I will be going out to finish the section hike that I started in October of this year planning to leave around the 23rd or so, will be about 5 day's or so, it will be Front Royal Va to Harpers Ferry!?!? You are more than welcome to come along, I'd be honored to hike with ya man!!!!!!!! There might be 4 others from the Fire Dept. that I work at going with me, but that might change as some might not be able to go!?!?!

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    thanks for the report and pics....6 weeks ago I spent the last night of my section hike in New England hanging less than a hundred yards (stealthing of course) from the southern LT terminus sign...brought back good but recent memories. sorry about the knee issues. If you knees are like mine then it might be best to keep trying and trying and trying.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I need to figure out how to quote more then one person in a thread lol, Thanks shug for the advice of the knee braces, Im gonna have to get a pair when I hike the ruffer terrain. And CrankyBear thanks for the offer. I dont know If id be able to take that entire week off of work but harpers ferry isent that far from where I live so I might be able to meet you guys for a long weekend, well def be in touch it would be an honor to hike with you as well. And Medicine Man, As soon as the swelling goes down Im hopeing to sneak in a few nights on the AT possibly in VA some where where its a bit flatter before school reopens again in mid August. And the day I stop trying is the day I stop living , this whole experience taught me so much and I cant wait to use what I learned on the trail next time in hopes of espically preventing any injuries if their even was any thing I could of done.

• + New Posts