Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Walmart Extendde Pad no-sew

I don't have a sewing a machine and although I can sew by hand if need be, I don't like doing it and I don't have the time. So I look for ways to make things without sewing. In anticipation of delivery of my Clark hammock, I'm experimenting with making an SPE equivalent but with an attached hood to keep it from sliping.

I started with a walmart $6 cfc blue pad - 20" wide and 1/2" thick. My first thought was to cut four 10" wings from the bottom of the pad and then connect them to the remaining pad by putting grommets along the sides of the main pad and the wings, and then tying them together. Unfortunately, I could not find any grommets for thicker material (nor "eyelets" large enough), although I'm sure some can be had by mail-order. So I just put duct tape over the edge and about 2" in on both sides of the pad where I ponched holes with a hole cutter. I then tied the wings with string.

I tied the first set of wings even with the top of the pad because my idea is to attache some sort of hood or hat with ear flaps to the top of the pad. I'm thinking that the hat will keep the top of the pad and wings at sholder length and prevent it from slipping down the hammock. I'll put a grommet in one end of the elastic to attach it to the pad and probablt use no-sew snaps in the other end of the elastic to snap to the hat or hood to avoid any sewing. The elastic attachments will give some leeeway to move my head without moving the pad. I can proably get a cheap coat with a snap-off hood from the Goodwill store.

If I ever get this contraption perfected I'll post detailed instructions and pics.

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    looking forward to seeing the details.
    Alex Williams
    Acts 10:13 "Arise Peter, Kill and Eat."
    Job 14:15 "Call upon Me and I shall answer you."
    Williams Custom Calls

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    me too. we want pics please?

Images

No-sew SPE prototype

Here is my prototype:

The second pic is just a close-up of the duct taped holes I used to attach the wings to the main body.

Without the duct tape, the pad rips very easily. With the duct tape reinforcing the holes, it is very difficult, but not impossible, to rip the holes by pulling on the connecting rope.

When I put it in my parachute hammock, it worked great; the wings overlapped each other at my hips, eliminating any gaps between them. However, the part of the main pad from my knees to my feet tended to roll up in a hump and needed to be straightened.

This was made out of the Wal-Mart $6 20" blue pads. It worked well in my parachute hammock, but my Clark has not yet been delivered (it is suppose to be here by 7 pm tonight).

I might make the final version from the Wal-Mart egg create type CFC camping pads (I think they are about $11 each), and lower the wings to leave some room for my head.

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY 8x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    50* p pod
    Images
    i have had this idea for a while. My concern was always that the foam would be too weak and the grommet holes would just rip out to the edges. Does the duct tape prevent that?

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    it would be nice to find 8" wide duct tape, then the tape could be the seam.

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    I have seen rolls of duct tape in about 12" widths somewhere, maybe Home Depot. But I can't remember where for sure.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    http://good-times.webshots.com/album/560834203BtHMbJ

This is my version. The black strips are ripstop nylon and are glued on with contact cement. The nylon strips act as a simple hinge. I've used it several times now and I can say it's bomber.

Miguel

Hammock
    HH Jungle
    Tarp
    speer
    Insulation
    IX underquilt, etc
    These are really neat ideas!

Not to change the topic, but I have been thinking about a SPE and I am curious about how cold has anyone slept with just pads? I have only camped in the summer with my new HH and am looking forward to going out again soon.

MerryMary first post so let me know if there is a better place to ask this ??

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MerryMary View Post
    These are really neat ideas!

Not to change the topic, but I have been thinking about a SPE and I am curious about how cold has anyone slept with just pads? I have only camped in the summer with my new HH and am looking forward to going out again soon.

MerryMary first post so let me know if there is a better place to ask this ??
    I've been down to 32 degrees and have been quite comfortable. Last week it was down to the high 30s to low forties in the Adirondacks and I slept like a baby. The wings protecting your shoulders and knees are crucial. If you go with a Wally World pad, I highly recommend buying the 1/2" "waffle pad" ($10) over the smaller bright blue pad($5). The waffle pad is softer, thicker and wider. I'm very happy with mine. (see pics in post above)

Miguel

PS I did consider using velcro to attach the wings but the nylon hinge worked so well that I haven't tried it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast