Tarp
    DIY Hex tarp
    Insulation
    Modded CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images

Some plans I made.

I've been trying to find some well thought out and put together instructions I could print out and follow, and have been having some issue. So I've taken several ideas others have used for hammocks and integrated them into a potential set of hammock plans that I and others can use to make hammocks. So I want you guys to critique them for me and let me know what you think. I may or may not be ok with changing something, but all suggestions will be appreciated.

I've got 6 people wanting me to make them camping hammocks, and a good easy to follow and decently illustrated set of plans will help immensely.

So let me know what you think. I haven't found any reason why this idea shouldn't work.

http://img69.imageshack.us/slideshow...d=slide14j.jpg

I know there are better things to use than climbing rope, but I can get that stuff dirt cheap and I figure it'll work just fine although being a little heavy.

I have some special materials I have found that are set aside for my backpacking hammock.
    Fulfillment is living a life that makes the lives of others worth living.
    DIY is addicting and fulfilling!
    "If guns kill people, then pencils mispell words, cars cause people to drink and drive, and spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat."

Hammock
    my DIY hammock
    Tarp
    my DIY tarp
    Only thing I noticed is that you don't need to whip the end if you are planning a gathered end hammock. Just larkshead your climbing rope just below the "bulb" you form after gathering the ends.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I may be missing something but I don't understand the reason for the side tie outs. If nothing else they get in the way of a hanging bugnet of typical design. Why complicate things with them?
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY DigiCamo Hennessy Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Hex tarp
    Insulation
    Modded CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Well the intitial 3 I am building are primarily for short hike camping, and car camping. Just some added ameneties. The side tie outs make a great place to put a pocket on each side, and make it easier for people with a good buzz to get in the thing.

I'm thinking of putting the netting on while I'm sewing everything else, and then just put a zipper on one side. I'm still working on this idea. But the 3 people that wanted me to build them one really wanted side tie outs.

The first 3 built aren't even for me. I have a gathered end hammock. But I'm going to build a double layered hammock for myself in the near future.

And Opie, thanks for pointing that out. A Larkshead is so much easier than a whipping.
    "If guns kill people, then pencils mispell words, cars cause people to drink and drive, and spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat."

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wirerat123 View Post
    The side tie outs make a great place to put a pocket on each side, and make it easier for people with a good buzz to get in the thing.
    I can see the pockets. But I am still having trouble with the tie outs. Do the folks who want these have any experience with hammocks? Assuming this is a top loader the tie out is directly in the place _I_ would want to get into the hammock. Tied out at an angle, presumably for stability, I think I would find them extremely annoying and in the way. Just my own sense of use. If the design has been tested and the tie outs work well, then "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain." As I repeatedly say, I'm not a designer.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    DIY DigiCamo Hennessy Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Hex tarp
    Insulation
    Modded CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Not sure, I've never used one with that design. But I do see quite a few with centered tie outs so I guess they can't be too in the way. But to me, I can see your point, tied out in an angle and they could be quite a bit in the way for getting into it. After I make the first one I'll decide if I like them enough to put them on mine. But since they want them, they are getting them, plus they can't be any more in the way than most tarp tie outs are.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wirerat123 View Post
    Not sure, I've never used one with that design. But I do see quite a few with centered tie outs so I guess they can't be too in the way. But to me, I can see your point, tied out in an angle and they could be quite a bit in the way for getting into it. After I make the first one I'll decide if I like them enough to put them on mine. But since they want them, they are getting them, plus they can't be any more in the way than most tarp tie outs are.
    It's not the cord tie outs. It's the flaps.If the cords are elastic ok it might work but then you lose the stability the flaps are supposed to provide. I enter my home sleeper top loader with my feet right under the edge of the hammock if not somewhat inside the edge. I don't see being able to do that with stabilizing flaps like that. I've never seen that kind of design. Sorry about the confusion.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    DIY gathered end / WL Snipe
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 sil/ M.O.
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ 20*Pheonix
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopie slings
    My DIY hammocks have side tieouts no flaps and are off set from center, but I no longer use them, i like to swing. lol

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL & GT Single & nano-7
    Tarp
    Poly Camo 8x10
    Insulation
    KAQLostRiver & Pad
    Suspension
    OEM&WhoopieSlings
    consider moving your side tie outs...move one to a point 4' from the "bottom end" of the hammock, and the other 4' from the "top end". Most of us prefer a diagonal lay, moving your tie out will help a great deal....and will get them out of the way of exit/entry. You might also consider cutting the size of your tie out flaps by 2/3 ( 8" at the 'top', 4" at the bottom, and only about 6-8" long). Or even smaller...a 4" equilateral triangle, with a single grommet.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware1967 View Post
    consider moving your side tie outs...move one to a point 4' from the "bottom end" of the hammock, and the other 4' from the "top end". Most of us prefer a diagonal lay, moving your tie out will help a great deal....and will get them out of the way of exit/entry. You might also consider cutting the size of your tie out flaps by 2/3 ( 8" at the 'top', 4" at the bottom, and only about 6-8" long). Or even smaller...a 4" equilateral triangle, with a single grommet.
    +1 on this.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast