Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Another tarp setup question.

Ok Im sure this is a total noob question so forgive me.

Ive decided to go with a BishopBag and tarp in snake skins setup but Im having a little trouble and Im sure there is some trick to the process.

As it stands Im still using the stock HH tarp and every time I set the tarp and hammock up I end up having to reset the hammock because I didn't get the hammock properly positioned. I get it at the right hight but either the foot or the head is not covered by the tarp.

Is the solution just get a different & bigger tarp? Is it something to do with how you hang the tarp or the hammock? Or is it just doing it enough that you learn to properly judge it?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    What are you using for suspension? Rings or buckles would make this a non-issue, you'd just take-up the slack at either end and center the hammock. Maybe I'm missing something.

Im using the standard huggers and rope that came attached to the HH and 1/8 inch cord for the tarp.

I guess I need to look into a different suspension system...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Inimicus View Post
    Im using the standard huggers and rope that came attached to the HH and 1/8 inch cord for the tarp.

I guess I need to look into a different suspension system...
    I get plenty of sag no matter which suspension I use, unless the trees are the minimum distance apart, 13 feet or so. Though you can tighten up a good bit more with either a ring/cinch buckle and webbing, or with a nylon cleat, and espeially with a hitchcraft, than with the stock huggers. And that may reduce sag a bit.

If you were attaching the tarp in the normal HH fashion, that is- to the hammock suspension rope, then it should be a simple matter to center the tarp on the hammock by way of the movable prussick connectors. For mine, that is with the end of the tarp attached to prussick clip about 1 1/2 hands from the big knot, on each end. Then, just note whatever this distance is. And if you are hanging the tarp from trees, just adjust it so the end of the tarp is the same distance from the knot as it is when used in the normal HH fashion. In fact, you can always attach the tarp to the HH and center it first. Then, if you want to be attached to the trees, you can just run a line from the tarp to the trees, after it is centered correctly on the HH. Just don't tighten one end up enough to pull it off center, though that would actually be hard to do, since you are connected on both ends of the hammock.

Here is a thought: a well known disadvantage to the normal HH rain fly set up is that after adjusting everything perfectly, you get in, the hammock sags, and the tarp loosens up. Bungees are needed to overcome this, if it can be done. OTOH, at least the tarp gets closer to the ground right along with the hammock as you get in. If the tarp is tied to the trees, it stays put while the hammock heads south. With such a minimal tarp as the stock HH, this could leave quite a bit uncovered on one of the Asym sides of the tarp, even if perfectly centered. So if you are going to tie that HH tarp to the trees ( and you probably should), you probably need to be extra attentive to making sure the tarp is as snugged down on the hammock ridgeline as possible. Usually done by attaching the perfectly centered tarp to the trees 3-6" below where the hammock attaches.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 09-28-2007 at 12:44.

Images
    I have experienced exactly the same problem. I have a new tarp on my Christmas list as the stock is too small. It is interesting that many of us are attracted to the ULB because of its light weight and then find we are not satisfied with the tarp.

That said, I agree with BillyBob58 about using the prussick adjustments to get it the best you can. Since I use the ring suspension system, I had to modify how I hang the stock tarp until I replace it. I use a separate ridge line with a small caribeaner ( key chain quality) on one side and a figure 9 on the other. I then removed the hardware attached to the prussicks from the hammock ridge line and attached them to the new ridge line. I had to make sure the diameter of the rope that has the prussicks is less than the diameter of the ridge line to get them to work. With this setup, I can easily hang the ridge line and then fine tune the position of the tarp.

Another thing that I found to help with the positioning of everything is to attach the hammock pullouts to large rocks rather than stakes. This let's me fine tune the relative position between the hammock pull outs and the tarp tie outs.

I am looking forward to a larger tarp. I'm planning on a McCat Deluxe.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Tarps 101....

Tie to the trees not the hammock suspension lines to eliminate sag....

Tis far better to eliminate sag than than use various extra measures to rig arround it.....

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'm all about an easy set-up and tear-down. The alternate suspensions out there do make it much easier.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I'm all about an easy set-up and tear-down. The alternate suspensions out there do make it much easier.
    They sure do.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I know exactly what you mean by the foot or head isn't covered. With a more adjustable suspension you can make it distance from the tree to the hammock the same on both ends and that will lead to even stretch. I've notice when I set everything perfectly you can see a difference at the tie outs once I hang for a while. In any case if you don't have figure 9s on your tarp, I would look into changing that first. It is much easier to adjust the tarp than it is to adjust the hammock no matter what the suspension IMHO.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I know exactly what you mean by the foot or head isn't covered. With a more adjustable suspension you can make it distance from the tree to the hammock the same on both ends and that will lead to even stretch. I've notice when I set everything perfectly you can see a difference at the tie outs once I hang for a while. In any case if you don't have figure 9s on your tarp, I would look into changing that first. It is much easier to adjust the tarp than it is to adjust the hammock no matter what the suspension IMHO.
    Yep figure 9's are a great product.www.rei.com/product/756442
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast