Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    Asking for those who want to use one:
    So, is this some how more condensation prone than normal CCF pads and/or space blankets?

Because, while most folks seem to have condensation issues with any sunshades, SBs or or pads, some do not.

I for example, have SO FAR never had any noticeable condensation problems with:
    1: a ccf torso pad in either a Claytor,WB or JRB double layer hammock
    2: 2 CCF pads stacked inside an SPE
    3: the SB used on top of the HHSS OCF pad.

Just wondering if this sunshade is some how worse than a normal CCF pads so that most EVERYONE can expect condensation most of the time?

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I used one to supplement my insulated hammock at Mt. Rogers last year; didn't notice any condensation. This might be a good material to cut into strips and weave into a mat, as discussed in this thread.
    The weave would give a double layer that conforms to the hammock shape, and moisture could vent through the strips.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter
    Tarp
    DIY-needs doors
    Insulation
    CC foam pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies

other ideas?

Has anyone tried using a "Waldo" grade intermediate grade bag as an under quilt? I would think that with minimal mods, this would work. Personally the whole waking up with some wet gear in the type of low temps we get in the blueridge...seems like a real potential for danger there....

I really like the look of a peapod....seems that it'd be pretty darn good for keeping warm with if you stick a low temp sleeping bag and a sleeping pad inside the hammock....It also looks like it might not be to hard to make a good custom version...

Just some thoughts...Any feed back is welcome, as I'm still pretty green at this...

Thanks,

SB

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    HG 4 season cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Burrow TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Sorry for the noob question but what's now recommended to use to keep the lower legs and feel warm with a 2/3 underquilt? Just curious, I've yet to get out in temps lower than about 38*, and was fine with a doubled over thinlight pad, my Burrow, and Yeti, but I can see myself in weather down to high 20's on occasion. I did just buy a pair of GooseFeet down socks , but haven't had an opportunity to use them yet.

Thanks again,
    Leigh
    Leigh
    aka LookinUp

He who would travel happily must travel light.
    Antoine de St. Exupery

Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images
    All I've ever used is a combination 2P HeetSheet and windshield reflector with nary a problem from condensation. You say the emergency blankets noisy, but where are you placing it. Both of these need to be on the outside of the hammock in order to be effective...less noisy this way too. I mainly use the HeetSheet by itself, but if it gets really cold, I use both. So warm sometimes that I have to unzip my bag and steam rolls out.

I haven't hammocked in -0 (I Don't think) so I can't say how well it work's in those temps.
    It’s what we believe that makes us, as individuals, who we are. Suppress that and we all become the same…"sterile and boring." "Sir William Orville Martin"

Images
    solo, if you have a jacket or any other gear you can place under your feet that will help keep them warm

Images
    leeping, I was warm with the reflector right under the sleeping bag, except for the condensation issue.

Pardon my ignorance, but would poking many small holes in the space blanket/windshield reflector not relieve the condensation issue without much diminishing the overall infrared reflectivity?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    One of the ones I had I cut it up and used as a pot cozie and coffee cup cozie. More expensive than reflectex, but I can't get reflectex in this area, unless I special order it from a super duper hardware store. Any hoo I used the border as an edge and worked out to be a great looking cozie ( if I do say so myself).
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123