Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weather Kilt

Images
    A closer match in garments would be the sarong. Although usually they're light and airy and used in HOT climates rather than cold wet ones...

I'll happily wear one of mine on those days when its "close". But not when its even slightly chilly out!

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    Exactly the song I was thinking of Cannibal, thanks for the early laugh!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    The first Kilt I made was out of DWR and it had 2 pleats in it that were about 3 inches each. The Sil Nylon kilt is 51 by 21 inches with no pleats but very stretched elastic. It could be made into a nice camp water bag with a draw cord around the perimeter. Just don't tell anyone else what you use it for.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    HHBPUL, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Tar
    Insulation
    Exped 9 DLX
    Suspension
    Big Butt Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    There's a little less than 2 yards of material (a so-called "great kilt" has material that goes up and over the shoulder, of course has lots more). The fabric covers the front twice, one layer over the other, attached at each side with short straps, and the back side has just about as much material, only pleated.

so...doing exactly this with a neat sheet...not seeing the pleats nor would they do much good. Doing a wrap-around skirt, one issue would be the dimensions of the fabric. Figure navel to knee (2' maybe) in one dimension, 3' to 4' in the other dimension. I can see it doubled up and used perhaps as an end-cap on a bridge hammock (as suggested by our skirted Dutch). But a 2'x4' piece of neat sheet would be handy in other ways also.

To use so much material so as to be a weather shield for the whole hammock? Now we're talking 4' wide by 8' long maybe, which is double in each dimension. That's a lot to be wearing. Seems more the dimensions of a cape or poncho. Not really so eye-catching as a kilt.

MacGrizz
    The idea of Dutch's rain skirt as a supplement to a shelter may not work, although the 2' measurement used could be doubled by simply folding a 4' width in half and belting it on , giving it a double thickness while it is being worn. The idea of requiring the rain skirt (filleadh beag, small kilt) as a garment for use in lousy weather means the circumstances exist for use of Breacan Feile ( Great Kilt, Belted Plaid etc.) .

The great kilts run anywhere from 3 to 6 yards in length (depending on who you ask). The fabric was made on a 30 " loom and was waulked down to a 27" width. The two pieces were sewn together to give a finished width of 52" and a length between 9 and 18'. Plenty big for use as a shelter or as a garment for protection from the elements , especially if the pleats are merely folded and not sewn. Gram-weenies take note: that is a lot of weight, especially for wet wool !!!!! Non-weenies take note: that is still alot of weight, especially for wet wool !!!! Having said that, I believe the U.S. poncho is 54' x 60'. So if the great kilt were made out of the same material, it would be almost (working with the 9" version) twice the weight but also twice the shelter, with more versatility. You can use the extra material to cover just your pack, your body, your head etc.

As seen in the vid links below the plaidies were a versatile garment and there is no consensus as to the 'right' way to wear it. It does seem the fellow in the second link is closer to the actual day to day wearing of the garment. Can you imagine taking all that time and space to fold the pleats on the dirty floors and wet ground of the Highlands every time you got dressed the way the fellow in the first link does?

This fellow is closer to the 9 yard version
    http://www.videocelt.com/alan-torran...5de8a05a2.html

This fellow uses 4 yards
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlFfJTzc7XM

I am thinking a Great Kilt in digital camo !!!!! It would be a real head turner, if anybody could find me!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    While that might just work, the US GI poncho is 84" by 60". Which is close enough for government work to be used as a kilt, according to your measurements...

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    That gives me a whole new appreciation for kilts. Thanks for sharing bodhran4me.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    HHBPUL, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Tar
    Insulation
    Exped 9 DLX
    Suspension
    Big Butt Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    While that might just work, the US GI poncho is 84" by 60". Which is close enough for government work to be used as a kilt, according to your measurements...

You would either want to be awfully careful where the opening for the hood ended up or very judicious in the placement of your sporran. It could bring new meaning to the battle cry 'FREEDOM'.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    It's about a Scottsman, though, instead of an Irishman.
    I'm an older Demento fan, but ah tinks ets "Scotsman."

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    http://www.ula-equipment.com/rainwrap.asp

ULA makes a "rain wrap". It seems like a pretty easy thing to replicate. I believe they just put some elastic in the waist which could easily be substituted for a draw cord. In addition there are a few tabs of velcro at the opening to allow you to seal it shut. However, if you are hurdling or rocks or something it'll split open at the velcro to prevent at rips. Not a bad idea.

From reviews I heard it works pretty well. Much more breathable than a pair of rain pants and still keeps you adequately dry. Plus, as others have said, it can be used to provide additional rain cover with your shelter.

I have some extra sil around and I think I'd have just enough for something like this. I am not sure if I can undertake such an endeavor or my GF is sure to consider me a weirdo.

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Karo Top Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    What about a kilt made out of waterproof material.If there was a rope running through it with knots or something so u could wear it instead of pants and then use it as a gear hammock or maybe even a tarp if u could figure out the "rigging" of it on you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast