WB Traveler
    Tarp
    HG 4 season cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Burrow TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

No more sleeping on the ground

Well it's official, I can no longer sleep on the ground.
    I have slept in my new WB Traveler about 7 or 8 nights, all of them blissfully comfortable. I still can't believe how well I sleep, and on my back, not my side, which is what I prefer in a bed.
    While on a paddling/camping trip to AR/MO this past week, Sun. night after the river dorks left, I decided to hang nearer the edge of the water to take advantage of the breeze. I tried and tried but couldn't get the ridgeline right; too tight. The only suitable trees were pretty far apart and I suspected I just couldn't get the tree huggers high enough for a correct angle, although I really felt the angle was about 30* I did a search here today to try to figure out what I was doing wrong and found a great post that gakayaker started. The trees I'd been hanging from the nights before were closer together and worked fine, but were farther from the water and lacked the nice breeze. In frustration I finally gave up and pitched my tent on a small point over the river. I could NOT get comfortable no matter what I did. Then a storm blew in and I had to throw on the rain fly and was trapped in a sauna...not a good night.
    The next day I was heading to MO to meet some other friends to paddle and when I got to the campground they'd picked was horrified to see one tree per campsite...what to do, what to do...no way I could go back to the tent. Then one of the friends said she used to suspend her hammock between two cars using their boat racks at the beach. Well I was a little hesitant to do it ( I really couldn't afford rack failure that far from home) but it worked, one end to the tree, one to the rack. Slept like a baby the rest of the trip, it even got cool enough one night to use my underquilt!
    Leigh

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Now you're spoiled and can't enjoy the ground anymore. Welcome to the club!

For widespread trees it's handy to keep a couple suspension extenders around. I carry two 6' (finished lengths) of Amsteel with eye spliced in each end. Placed between the tree huggers and your hammock suspension you can hang a pretty wide span, provided you can get the tree huggers high enough up the tree using trekking poles or a stick. Weight penalty for the two extenders is negligible IMHO.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

• + New Posts