Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    I loved my Mac Cat DLX, but I found it difficult to get adequate end coverage with the BMBH. The JRB 11x10 rectangle tarp worked much better, though it is about 6 oz heavier if memory serves.

I can even close one end against the wind if I use Grip Clips to hiking poles(or trees/branches) at the spreader locations. I don't think I could do that with the Mac Cat DLX.

But another trick for the tarp ends is a smaller spreader bar on the foot end.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    hiya Pan, hope you're staying cool and comfortable down there in Tidewater <grin>.

Being mathematical and all quanty, I'd rephrase your point here. A pole mod in the center pushes the tarp out in the middle. Where you want more spread on for a bridge hammock is at the tarp ends. I would say a pole mod doesn't "work against you" so much as it "doesn't give you more width near the spreader bars". To "work against you" the center pole would close the tarp ends in more, and I'm not seeing that.

Your point on weight is on the mark though. But a smaller tarp with ends spread by lightweight poles will be less bulky than a full 10x11 tarp. In my calculus of pack loading, volume used is as much a factor as weight.

but then I'm young and spry still

cheers
    Grizz,

It has been hot lately... well over 100 on several occasions...But we are well.

No issue with your rephrasing... My point is the pole mod which the poster semed to think should help coverage ( misunderstood???) does nothing to improve the spreader issue for bridges...Which you agree on.

Since I am older......Weight is of paramount importance at any given comfort level...And as you also note, larger tarps probably save weight over smaller tarps with center pole bows...Volume I won't debate, it is hard to figure... Though I doubt there is much difference and one does not have to pack poles as well... Though they routinely go in outer pockets and don't effect interior volume...For that matter, So do tarps go in outer pockets at least for me...So I'm back to weight as more issue than volume, at least for me.

Given that my GG collapsible UL poles with straps and Leki tip covers make great spreaders for my modified BMBH and thus eliminate poles from my pack not adding other poles is desirable.

Hope to see you at the Fall MAHHA... You will probably like my UL solution to BMBH mods... Some who came by at TD noted the set up.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    How about using grip clips staked out to ground at the four tarp locations that are hitting the spreader bars?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    How about using grip clips staked out to ground at the four tarp locations that are hitting the spreader bars?
    Yep, that's what I do, except I usually just use 2 on the windward end that I want to close up a bit or completely. Then I like to have the cord from the GC going to a hiking pole or tree branch, to pull things straight out or upwards a bit. This works great. But I don't usually need anything extra on the non windward end with the JRB tarp. Or, if wind is not a problem and needing blocking on one end, I don't need the Grip Clips at all.

I don't know whether the GC idea would suffice on the MacCat DLX, and if it did you might need it on both ends.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlespaul View Post
    do you know off hand how much each ring weighs?
    i'm working on the best way to do your mod to the bmbh...just trying to get an idea of weights
    IIRC, its 14 or 16 grams. I could be wrong though. They felt heavier than an SMC descending ring, but the scale didint really bear that out as much as I thought.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH w/ 2Q 3-zipper mod
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3, HR on top
    Suspension
    WhoOpiesling!
    Images
    Looking forward to figuring out a better tarp solution for the BMBH this weekend at the Fall MAHHA hang.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Grizz,

It has been hot lately... well over 100 on several occasions...But we are well.

No issue with your rephrasing... My point is the pole mod which the poster semed to think should help coverage ( misunderstood???) does nothing to improve the spreader issue for bridges...Which you agree on.

Since I am older......Weight is of paramount importance at any given comfort level...And as you also note, larger tarps probably save weight over smaller tarps with center pole bows...Volume I won't debate, it is hard to figure... Though I doubt there is much difference and one does not have to pack poles as well... Though they routinely go in outer pockets and don't effect interior volume...For that matter, So do tarps go in outer pockets at least for me...So I'm back to weight as more issue than volume, at least for me.

Given that my GG collapsible UL poles with straps and Leki tip covers make great spreaders for my modified BMBH and thus eliminate poles from my pack not adding other poles is desirable.

Hope to see you at the Fall MAHHA... You will probably like my UL solution to BMBH mods... Some who came by at TD noted the set up.

Pan

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12