WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Thanks for the trip dowm memory lane. My wife, daughter and I kayaked the Middle Fork several years ago. What a fabulous trip! We were a group of about ten kayakers and three rafts. Right after completing the Middle Fork, my daughter (aka The Lucky Dog) got to raft the entire Grand Canyon. Both are trips of a lifetime.

My only regret is that we were not hammockers at the time.

Miguel

Hammock
    WBBB DL1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Leigh's 3S & Yeti
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottybdiving View Post
    That water is coming out of the ground about 20 feet above the pool. It is piped to the pool and where it comes out of the pipe, it is probably 130 - 140 degrees, way too warm to hold your hand under it. It cools to around "hot tub temperature" in the pool, and gets cooler toward the far end. We cycled back and forth fron the 100+ water of the pool, to the 45 degree water on Loon Creek. Hot and Cold therapy is always great.
    Now I'm even more jealous.

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    Thanks for the trip dowm memory lane. My wife, daughter and I kayaked the Middle Fork several years ago. What a fabulous trip! We were a group of about ten kayakers and three rafts. Right after completing the Middle Fork, my daughter (aka The Lucky Dog) got to raft the entire Grand Canyon. Both are trips of a lifetime.

My only regret is that we were not hammockers at the time.

Miguel
    Miguel, we had some very nice flows. Nearly 5.0' at start and 4.3" in the lower sections. It was hammer down all the time. Hammock sites were plentiful until the last camp. We had our choice of sites w/o interfering with the tenters. Plenty of sites between trees with uneven terrain, where a tent could not possibly go.

Now the grand Canyon would be a different story. I was not a hammocker then, but I already had an interest in them, while on the Lower Canyon trip last year. It would have been very challenging to use a hammock there. I tried to use a tarp but even found that difficult without the assistance of hiking poles for a ridgeline. Did I mention that I hate tents?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottybdiving View Post
    Miguel, we had some very nice flows. Nearly 5.0' at start and 4.3" in the lower sections. It was hammer down all the time. Hammock sites were plentiful until the last camp. We had our choice of sites w/o interfering with the tenters. Plenty of sites between trees with uneven terrain, where a tent could not possibly go.

Now the grand Canyon would be a different story. I was not a hammocker then, but I already had an interest in them, while on the Lower Canyon trip last year. It would have been very challenging to use a hammock there. I tried to use a tarp but even found that difficult without the assistance of hiking poles for a ridgeline. Did I mention that I hate tents?
    That's indeed a good flow and coincidentally almost identical to ours. We went the year they had the big fires. We saw smoke but never any flames. We had to restock much of our beer at that ranch where everything is flown in....talk about some pricey brew! (we cheerfully paid btw)

Miguel

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    That's indeed a good flow and coincidentally almost identical to ours. We went the year they had the big fires. We saw smoke but never any flames. We had to restock much of our beer at that ranch where everything is flown in....talk about some pricey brew! (we cheerfully paid btw)

Miguel
    Good call on the beer run. We were about a 12 pack short on the last night.

The fires have done their job quiet well in there. It's a hard concept to comprehend that regular fires are healthy. There is almost no underbrush along the length of that river with young pines sprouting everywhere and a healthy layer of grasses and wildflowers. I learned something about the ponderosa pines and their means of dealing with fires. Their barks is designed to flake off when the outer layer catches fire. It is made up of layer upon layer of flakes. There were many areas where the lower trunk would be scorched and there would still be a pile of ash around the circumference of the tree, yet the tree was alive and well. They also have a natural herbicide in their needles that creates an non-vegetated zone under their canopy.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12