WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings

Middle Fork Salmon

After a 1-1/2 hour ride over NF roads, we boarded the rafts at Boundary Creek Ramp. We were introduced to a nice Cl III rapid within the 1st 0.1 mile. Then it was a continuation of Cl III - IV erapids for the 12 miles covered before stopping at "Joe Bump" to camp. I paddled at the front of the 18' Avon.

Camp 1 - Joe Bump

On day 2, I resumed my front paddle position for a lengthy 23.5 mi of Cl III+. Two paddlers got tossed on day 2, icluding yours truly. Unfortunately mine was rather benign, merely tumbling backward upon impacting a rock. Dave, one of the Grand Canyon 6, from our '09 trip, had a much scarier ride. He got swallowed by a huge hole. We took the hit head on and the raft almost folded like a taco. He was swept under the raft and surfaced on the downstream side. Jeff, my BIL, grabbed his paddle and Frank, another GC6 grabbed him by the shoulder straps and fell back into the raft, while pulling him up, textbook. We were met by a slow but steady rain for the last hour on the river. I knew this would present some challenges for the evening. I set up my tarp "porch style" and it quickly became a popular place for happy hour.

Day 2 Camp - Stateland Left

Day 3, I had convinced our trip leader that I had rowed a lot on my previous Grand Canyon trips. He agreed to let me have a go at the oar boat for the short 10 mi planned. I quickly learned that rowing on the MFS is a whole lot different than the wide and deep Colorado. The shallow rocks can turn a downstream oar into a torpedo. I can see why they do not have oar locks on these rafts. Although I was working my a.. off, I was allowed to stay at the helm and row through the certifiable Cl III "Jackass Rapid". I was totally exhausted at the end of the 10 mi. After setting up camp and lounging a couple hours, we headed downstream along the river for a 8 mi r/t hike to Loon Creek Hot Springs for a much deserved soaking of the body.

Day 3 Camp - Rock Island

Day 4, back on the paddle boat. This was a HUGE day of rapids covering 27.5 mi of Cl III's and a couple Cl IV's like Tappan Falls and Tappan III and Earthquake Rock.

Day 4 Camp - Wollard

Day 5, after paddling or rowing for the entire 74.5 mi covered, I decided to take an easy day and ride as a passenger on an oar boat, where i could concentrate on taking photos and video. I managed to get a few videos of some challenging rapids. We also visited a beautiful spot called Vail Falls. It is a small waterfall that drops over the edge of a monsterous cave or grotto. The flow turns into a mist and dances in the wind and sunlight as it plunges 150' to a fine rain on the floor.

Unfortunately, our luck ran out for hanging. I tried about everything I could. I managed to hang my hammock from a boulder in a tallus slope, of 1' - 2' sharp edged granite boulders, and a large tree about 25 feet away. It would have been treacherous for entry and exit, so i elected to use the sandy beach instead. Although i was prepared, equipment wise, i was not mentally prepared. My tarp attached to it's ridgeline became a cumbersome task for setup. To add insult to injury, after settling in to a clear and cloudless evening, a blowing rain began in the middle of the night. I had to completely rivise the tarp setup to give shelter from the rain. After 4 nights of blissful sleep, my Neoair on a smooth sandy beach was not cutting it, and I managed very little sleep.

Day 5 Camp - Cliffside

After a mostly sleepless night, we only had 12 mi to complete the trip. I don't think any of us realized that part of it would be the most intense rapids of the trip. This proved to be the case at "Rubber Rapid". We had another swimmer, Frank, yet another of the Grand Canyon 6. His oar raft took a hard hit from the left latteral and slung him off like a bull rider. he was retrieved quickly and was OK.

All good things come to and end. we drove to Salmon for a shower and a bed. Had a nice dinner at the "Junk Yard Bistro" and retired early. Got on a twin engine Piper with Salmon Air and returned to Boise. I did get to ride in the co-pilot's seat.

Last edited by Scottybdiving; 07-02-2010 at 10:49.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Wow! Fabulous report...

Thanks for sharing.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Thanks. I forgot to add the link to the whole album

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Great report and pics , thanks for sharing.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Awsome report and pictures! Thanks for shaing!
    Terry

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Nice pics, thanks for sharing!
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Absolutely fabulous pics.........made the day at work a little better!!!!!!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Ogee
    Insulation
    Jerry Chair
    Suspension
    whoopie
    that looked like an amazing trip! thanks for the report.

Hammock
    WBBB DL1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Leigh's 3S & Yeti
    That's a cool report. I haven't been in whitewater since going with my Outing Club in High School years ago. It was a lot of fun I remember, nothing like natures own roller coaster.

I thought the man made 'pool' was pretty cool awesome.

Hammock
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Niloc View Post
    That's a cool report. I haven't been in whitewater since going with my Outing Club in High School years ago. It was a lot of fun I remember, nothing like natures own roller coaster.

I thought the man made 'pool' was pretty cool awesome.
    That water is coming out of the ground about 20 feet above the pool. It is piped to the pool and where it comes out of the pipe, it is probably 130 - 140 degrees, way too warm to hold your hand under it. It cools to around "hot tub temperature" in the pool, and gets cooler toward the far end. We cycled back and forth fron the 100+ water of the pool, to the 45 degree water on Loon Creek. Hot and Cold therapy is always great.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast