Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Has anybody considered making a permanent hammock/bivy convertable setup? I could see having a dual layer hammock that you could either prop open one end and use it as a single man bivy, or hang it with a quilt inside as a hammock with bottom insulation... it's probably been done, but it seems like it would allow for the best of both worlds...

Hammock
    DIY gathered end / WL Snipe
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 sil/ M.O.
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ 20*Pheonix
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopie slings
    Welcome to the Forums, I haven't been a hanger very long but for me its the only way to go.. Try it out, only you can decide.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WBB Superfly
    Suspension
    Adjustable Web
    Images
    You won't know for sure until you try it. I would be willing to bet that once your try it, you'll be sold on the idea.

Welcome
    Hammocker Prayer - "Don't every let my wife sell my hammock equipment for what I told her I paid for it."

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I agree with everyone that you have to try it out but more than that you have to give it a good try. Some people try something once and then say its not for them but the thing is there are many things to consider when trying anything new. Once does not a reasonable try make IMO. After you try hanging, post on the forums with any issues you encounter.

Hammock
    Speer Hammock IIIC
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer SnugFit
    Suspension
    AHE whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by goalby View Post
    ARE THEY REALLY?
    Addictingly so. I'm hanging tonight and tomorrow night and am so looking forward to it.

Sounds like you don't have to be ultralight. That is, you'll be transported by vehicle to your your disaster relief destination. Thus, you'll have no problem being comfortable under all conditions if you get the proper gear.

Watch Shug's 10-part youtube series on hammocking for noobs, and Prof. Hammock's 3.5-part youtube series on hammock suspensions. Peruse the offerings of the equipment suppliers who have a forum herein. Ask questions of the members here, then make your choices and put your money down.

Good choosing.

FarStar

Hammock
    TX250, NX200, WBBB
    Tarp
    WBSF, Edge, Vertex
    Insulation
    Incu-Burrow!
    Suspension
    Camo w/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I stumbled onto hammock camping by accident while surfing the net over the winter. I read through the posts on this site and watched videos on YouTube. The concept of sleeping across the center line so that you are flat made a lot of sense and I was tired of lugging all that tent stuff around. When HH ran a winter sale, I just bought one.
    Then before ever using it, I swapped out the stock suspension for Woopie Slings and made an underquilt. I love it! I even sleep out in my back yard on weekends when I don't go camping.

Give it a try. If you don't like it, you can always sell it on Ebay. What's the risk?
    My YouTube channel: Tool Dude Tony
    "No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    Yep,
    as far as comparison to any other form of bed it is absolutely the best way to go.. But I also agree with MikeM, when deciding what gear to take along when responding to a disaster...check to verify the location and conditions first and then make your decision based on the facts that you have gathered. I also agree with "Not standing out in a crowd" statement.

Making a decision about what your sleeping system will be when you choose when and where is a whole different ball game from responding to a disaster situation.

HYOH/YMMV
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Let me add one other thought from a fellow Missourian. I hike the Ozark Trail, and rare is the campsite with a level spot. When I camp in my tent I'm either pointing one end downhill or I wake up crunched up against the side of the tent, which is no fun if it's raining. With a hammock you can always get level. And speaking of rain, when I car camp I can bring along a tarp to put under the tent. Not enough room for this in the pack.

Thanks!

These are all very helpful comments---thank you everyone! I will buy a first hammock soon---I have no doubt! I've still got a lot of studying to do... more soon! Thanks!

Fibrovictory

Just joined, also want to try hammock

Thanks for the REI tip. We live near REI, and they have a sale today. $41 for a single hammock of parachute nylon; they say it stretches. I guess it's jersey. But if I can return it, or even for forty bucks, it's worth trying out.

Thanks too for the report on aches and sore spots, and arthritis relief. I had no idea. I suffer from same. In fact, woke up this morning sore and aching at pressure contact points with the ottomans I had pushed near screen door. I wanted to sleep near the open air but could not move my bed by myself.

The best time of my life was living under the open sky all summer, about 24 years ago, but do not want to sleep on ground again!

I am on my way to REI. My husband complains that my little trial hammock is too small for him as he is 350#, but Let him shell out his own $3-500 for one he likes. I am only 112# and can string up my experimental hammock several places on the property. Maybe that is selfish. He seems to be jealous. I will make him one.

Husband has talked about hammocks for years. I thought they would be uncomfortable because a person would be all scrunched up, but evidently not. In fact, have been longing to sleep outside again, so maybe will be outside tonight.

He is worried about mosquitoes. I just rub on some cedar oil and they don't bite me. He is talking about huge permanent stands that will hold his weight, mosquito nets, all kinds of stuff. I just want to sleep in the fresh air again.

Thanks. I told him about the forum but he prefers to drool over hammocks for sale online.

Thanks thanks thanks.
    Am looking forward to this, and I thought I was looking for him! I told him I will figure out how to make one for him, but he has to figure out his stand and whatever else he needs to complicate the whole contraption.
    I hope he moves off the couch!

What a long first post.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast