WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images

Mt. Rogers Loop, Part I, June 25-28, 2010

Friday, June 25, 2010

With summer heat so intense that I chose not to complete my BMT section hike, I headed to the high country of the Mt Rogers area in southwest Virginia. I began my hike in evening cool, stepping off around 7 PM at the Old Orchard Trailhead where the AT crosses VA 603.

I headed uphill toward Old Orchard shelter, 1.7 miles away. It was refreshing to walk wide, well-groomed trail on a gentle uphill grade.

After about 45 minutes, I arrived at the shelter area which had become a bit of a tent city. On the left was half a dozen tents from a girls group. On the right was a group of tents from what I discovered was a group of policemen, up for a nationwide program in which policemen from all 50 states would summit their state’s high point at noon on Saturday. There was only one section hiker tucked into the shelter with her dog.

I headed a bit past the shelter and hung my hammock in the trees, achieving a bit of privacy despite the crowded condition on the other side of Old Orchard. Here, I settled in for the night.

Saturday, June 26, 2010

I got up around 7:30 as the girls’ group was hiking out. I relaxed a bit, packed up, then ate breakfast at the picnic table at the shelter. I stepped off around 8:30 and headed uphill on the AT. The tread got progressively rougher, packed with rocks and roots, but it was still smoother than most of the smaller trails I have been hiking in full summer foliage. It wasn’t long before I reached the intersection with the Pine Mountain Trail.

Dewey Bear and I took the Pine Mountain Trail, which also soon opened up into the sweeping views so well known in the Grayson Highlands area.

Soon after, I reached the intersection with the Crest Trail. I stepped up to check out the grove of trees where I hung my hammock for a night last year. Just like last year, a herd of wild ponies were grazing there.

From this point, I pushed on up the Pine Mountain Trail to Thomas Knob Shelter. The place was swarming with dayhikers, heading up to summit Mt. Rogers. Most were hiking in from Grayson Highlands State Park. I also ran into Nean, sometime I’ve known online for some time, but only just met in real life. I had lunch and hung my hammock for a nap. But the noise of so many dayhikers kept me awake.

I decided to grab Dewey and my stuffsack/daypack and summit Mt. Rogers myself. At the top, we both paused for a photo with the summit benchmark.

We returned to Thomas Knob, where I managed a few minutes worth of a nap before I packed up to continue my journey south. As I rounded the southern edge of Mt Rogers ridge, I faced the choice of continuing on the AT or to veer off onto the sweeping pass that the Virginia Highlands Horse Trail followed. Good views and a blue-blazing spirit led me onto the horse trail.

The trail became very rocky as it led down to Deep Gap, so I rejoined the AT there. I pushed on another half mile or so before I eased over to a comfortable dry campsite on Elk Garden Ridge.

I cooked dinner and settled in for the night.

Sunday, June 27, 2010

I awoke to foggy conditions. There was a hint of dampness up on the ridge, but the fog was much thicker down low. I descended into the mist toward Elk Garden.

I then climbed uphill along the southern edge of Whitetop Mountain. As I crossed the summit road, I passed Nean and Bambo’s campsite. They were taking their time packing up, letting their tents dry out from heavy morning dew. The sun had mostly come out and was turning into a beautifully cool day in the highlands. The views at Buzzard Rock were breathtaking.

I continued on down the trail, saying hello to a curious deer as I wandered past.

Nean passed me by while I took a break near Beech Mountain Road. He mentioned he was meeting a friend at Grassy Creek Road, a mile past Lost Mountain Shelter and invited me to join in for the food that would likely be waiting. I continued on, only stopping at Lost Mountain Shelter long enough to grab water and sign the register.

At Grassy Creek Road, I sat and socialized over chicken and a beer, courtesy of Jack, Nean’s friend from down the trail in Shady Valley, TN.

I continued on, joining the Virginia Creeper Trail and its many long railroad trestle bridges.

I pushed on to the point where the AT left the Creeper. Just past it, I found a beautiful stealth site right next to a trestle bridge. A thin line of trees hid my camp for the hundreds of cyclists that zoomed by.

I headed back up to the AT intersection and said goodbyes as Nean, Jack, and Bambo headed up the AT. I then returned to my camp and washed up in the creek beneath the trestle. The camp was nearly perfect, with the only detractor the smell of creosote from the huge cross-timbers currently being replaced as part of a massive restoration project. Despite this, I settled in for the night, quite happy from a great day.

Monday, June 28, 2010

I awoke around 2 AM to a heavy rain pouring down. I pulled my tarp into place and went back to sleep. I awoke a bit after 7:30 and got rolling around 8:30. The Creeper Trail offered a very fast smooth path into Damascus amid the morning fog.

An hour later I rolled into Taylor’s Valley. On Sunday afternoon, three different restaurants or snack stands offered up sodas, ice cream, and treats to the throngs of cyclists. But on a Monday morning, they were all closed.

I headed on, making excellent time as I followed Whitetop Laurel Creek. The trestle bridges continued and made great time to Straight Branch trailhead where I stopped at the bench and privy for a short break. I knew I was getting close to Damascus as I reached the large original steel trestle bridge near town.

The trail opened up into warm open sun in the last mile as I neared town. I bypassed the junction where the AT rejoined the Creeper and soon entered town.

I checked into the air-conditioned bunkhouse at the Hikers’ Inn, grabbed a burger and fries from the Whistlepig, and got busy with town chores. As I finished those, Nean and his group arrived in town and I joined them at Quincy’s. The rest of the day was a chance to relax. I ran into a couple of other friends, Lone Wolf and Bilge Rat, when I headed back to Quincy’s for dinner. It was a great day.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    A great hike and trip report. Looks like a great trip to do again.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Really well done hike report ... always fun to read.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Thanks Bearpaw, for a great way to enjoy my morning coffee a greet the new day. I strive to be able to write trip reports like yours.
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    Black DIY dual zipper
    Tarp
    Black DIY 10'X12'
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Really well done hike report ... always fun to read.
    Yes. Your trip reports and pics are an absolute joy to read and look at.

Dewey is a very fortunate bear to be able to come along and enjoy the hike with you!
    "Is this the best you've got?!!" (Shortoff Mtn., Linville Gorge 2010)

"Life is tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid!".....(John Wayne)

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    I love reports like this. Thanks, Bearpaw!!
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Terrific!!! +1
    Looking at your pictures gives me a good feeling here today........
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Great Report!
    Terry

Thanks for the report, BearPaw! I'm taking the family to Grayson Highlands in August for the Perseid meteor shower. It will be our first visit to that area.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Thumbs up

I agree, great report, Bearpaw! Thanks so much for sharing! I was on Buzzard Rock, November before last, in bitter cold wind and sleet. Couldn't see but a few hundred feet at most. Nice to see your pic of what I missed on the view from up there.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

• + New Posts