Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The biggest factor that I found was the amount of strap coming off the tree. That is to say, if you are hooking into the loop right at the tree, say 4", there isn't much of the strap to stretch.

However, if you are coming off the end of the last loop and have 4' coming off the tree, then you will have a lot of stretch.

I switched over to whoopies and now I only have the stretch from the hammock material. If you want a strap that won't stretch, get a poly strap. Arrowhead could make you straps with the loops sewn in, like the Slapstraps. Or, in theory (as they are not out yet), the Kammock Python straps would have a multiple attachment length points on a poly line. (Poly line is like seatbelt material - almost no stretch).

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest or GT Ultralight
    Tarp
    ENO DryFly
    Insulation
    GoLight 3STQ & CCF
    I haven't had the major problems with the slapstraps, like rod said, if you don't leave 4' of strap hanging off the tree there isn't a lot to stretch. I might look into these python straps to see the difference though, I really like the "daisy chain" design.

I havent had that much problems with the slap straps either. I hang my hammock any way I can, sometimes I have a couple of feet from the tree. I always set my straps as high as I can. I don't ever wind up on the ground. I don't really care if they do streach it doesn't bother me as long as I don't wind up on the ground. I don't understand what the big deal is.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest or GT Ultralight
    Tarp
    ENO DryFly
    Insulation
    GoLight 3STQ & CCF
    Quote Originally Posted by muddog15 View Post
    I havent had that much problems with the slap straps either. I hang my hammock any way I can, sometimes I have a couple of feet from the tree. I always set my straps as high as I can. I don't ever wind up on the ground. I don't really care if they do streach it doesn't bother me as long as I don't wind up on the ground. I don't understand what the big deal is.
    Haha I agree, with a little planning the tiny amount of stretch I get never affects me. But it appears we are the minority

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Eno SS: Great design concept, wrong material.

I am one of the hangers who initially tried Slap Straps. And I suffered the frustration of having them stretch.

Just recently a buddy was parked in his Eno w/SS at Raystown Lake in PA reading a book. He had not been in the hammock all that long, but the system was sagging. When he got up, I noticed that the hammock washanging low to the ground, but within 15 minutes the nylon had contracted and it was hanging a good three feet off the ground. Unfortunate that Eno went down that road. Could have been a winner.

Jim

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies, ASR
    I have a set and never use them. They are bulky with fixed adjustment points. Since I made my whoppies I have never looked back.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I have used my slap straps twice without any slipping and 1 night was with rain
    I will eventually go to whoopies for ease of adjustment and lighter weight, but they seem to be working OK

I am 6ft and 250lbs.
    "HANGING OUT" has taken on a whole NEW MEANING

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge KAQ
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie/Straps
    It's not about slipping, tree slaps rarely slip once weight is applied. It's about stretching.

Hammock
    All of them.
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season,Cuben
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Slap strap replacement

I have the ENO slapstraps too, but they frustrate the heck out of me. They're a pain to adjust, and they stretch way too much. I weigh 170 and my butt is usually dragging on the ground after an hour or so. Maybe part of the problem is that I'm short and I don't like to set the hammock up high, but still....

I replaced the slap straps with two pieces of poly webbing and replaced the stock rope suspension on the ENO with whoopies. It's really easy. Takes all of about 5 minutes to do both. Untie the stock rope (two knots). Feed the fixed eye of the whoopie through twice. Pull the adjustable end through the fixed eye. Cinch it up, and you're ready to hang. There's a video on how to do it on whoopieslings.

Until I get some new hardware from Dutch, I connect the whoopie to my straps with a Camp wire gate biner.

There is no stretch and it's very fast to set up. It also saves weight and space compared to the stock setup with the slapstraps.

Bonus points: I get to say I got a whoopie on my biner!
    (can I get a whooo buddy?)

Happy hanging!

David

Hammock
    Home Made from Acer
    Tarp
    Kelty
    Insulation
    Body Fat
    Suspension
    Mule's Special
    Images
    I bought 2 sets, the slap straps, and slap strap Pro....
    Both sets stretch like crazy, done a winter hang last year, my butt was a good foot and a 1/2 off the ground.....a few hours later...i was on the ground....not good....I gave mine away as a gag gift.....
    Mule here on the board makes a great set of straps, i have bought 2 sets from him....cant beat them...

Jerry the Hiker
    The only Easy day was yesterday.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast