Finally got around to making an underquilt out of the IX I bought from Mac ages ago, this is what came of it:
It's two layers of IX sandwiched in a wally world nylon shell. We'll see how warm it keeps me. I hung in my hammock with it under me for a few minutes today and could definitely notice the warmth, but that's not saying much being as it was in the 60's today.
I originally just had some shock cord running to the ends of my hammock to act as the support, but I was getting more sag at the head and foot then I wanted, so I just ran another piece through the corner loops and hung it over the ridgeline and this is what the final product came to be:
The project cost was loosely the following:
14 feet of IX: ~ $24
14 feet nylon: ~ $7
19 feet Grosgrain: ~ $4
6ish feet shock cord: ~ $2
Total is right around $37 bucks plus around 5 or 6 hours of time.
This synthetic was definitely the way to go for my first quilt, I can only imagine how much easier IX is to work with than down (it's really easy).
There were a few flaws in the design/execution, but I'm only planning on divulging that information if i find that it effects the function of the quilt.
Only thing i've noticed from my initial test is that the layers past the inner shell don't hang with as much slack as I had hoped -- but it should still be warm. At least that's what I'm hoping for.