Hammock
    DIY DL Channel end Sewn Poly
    Tarp
    Walwrld sq,B/R.non
    Insulation
    Cman S/B alteredUQ
    Suspension
    strpwks/rope/rings
    Scotty, I have nothing to add except that looks like a great place to sleep. Water sounds and scenery. VERY nice spot.
    I have DIY snakeskins on my hammock, not on the tarp since I use a huge HD tarp. Used "too big" snakeskins for the tarp, and folded in half, the thing will stand against the wall vertically. Its funny, but not usable as is.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoeski View Post
    Here they are skinned up:

This looks just like my camp one week in the Olympics! Mac Cat DLX tarp in top skins and HHSS ( everything but pad) in lower skins. I was with tenters and one other hammock hanger. I think every one was in awe of my speed of breaking and setting up camp that trip! Here you can see everything deployed out of the separate skins for tarp and HH with Super Shelter.

Oh, the pad you see under my Mac Cat belongs to tent bound friends who were hanging out under my tarp during extended rain. Sometimes there were 4 of us under that tarp. They got tired of being closed up in the tent, I guess. There was a lot of rain, but here we are on a day hike on one of the pretty days!

Love my Skins, the only thing I am still using, unchanged, from my first season hanging. But mostly these days on the tarp only.

And yes, I just strap them onto the outside of the pack.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-03-2010 at 22:30.

Images

Next morning,mid 20s Wyoming, after a starry night with tarp still in skins ready to deploy if needed.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-03-2010 at 22:26.

Hammock
    HH UExpl; WBBB; JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    CCS; HH Hex; WB Su
    Insulation
    MW-3, Sierra Sniv
    Suspension
    Woopie, Dutch Clip
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Next morning,mid 20s Wyoming, after a starry night with tarp still in skins ready to deploy if needed.
    WoW you got to do the Olympics and Wind River in one trip? Is that the same one as your BC trip mentioned elsewhere?

My pic was from the steamy mountains of south-central Wisconsin (on the First Southern WI Hang)
    Not all who wander are lost.

Images
    WoW you got to do the Olympics and Wind River in one trip? Is that the same one as your BC trip mentioned elsewhere?

My pic was from the steamy mountains of south-central Wisconsin (on the First Southern WI Hang)
    Oh no, sorry I gave the wrong impression! The WA Olympics/Cascades and Wind Rivers were one year apart. Actually, the Sept Wind Rivers trip is a kind of traditional one that has been done many times over the last 25 years, and the WR trip several years ago was my first ever hanging trip. Followed by the next September in the Olympics ( this was my first use of Snake Skins), followed by the next September back in the Winds, first trip with a PeaPod.

BTW, here is a pic from my first ever trip anywhere using a hammock, which was in the Winds(this pic at Lonesome Lake) in the Cirque of the Towers.

This was before I started using skins. I struggled with every thing related to hammocks and Super Shelter on that trip. Including how to pitch that tarp correctly. I was always the slowest to set up and break camp, but next year I was the speed champ after having added skins AND learned what I was doing in general hammock wise. This pic was before I even joined HF. On the plus side, I did stay warm and dry and slept like a baby.

In retrospect I'm kind of wondering if I could have been the 1st person to hammock camp at Lonesome Lake, or anywhere else in the Winds? You never know. I certainly have never seen any other hammocks there, and I did get some strange looks from the few people who hiked by camp. ( For that matter, I got plenty of strange looks and giggles from my tenting buddies on that trip! )

Hammock
    HH UExpl; WBBB; JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    CCS; HH Hex; WB Su
    Insulation
    MW-3, Sierra Sniv
    Suspension
    Woopie, Dutch Clip
    Ah... nice none the less.

After 9 or 10 months i still get "weirdo" looks from all. Many are afraid, it seems, to approach. Perhaps they fear proselytizing. (not me ).

This next week at summer camp (where I saw my first HH used by a camp commissioner last year) will give me an opportunity to bring several hammocks and try out new gear. Maybe some of the brave will try them out.
    Not all who wander are lost.

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Ah... nice none the less.

[After 9 or 10 months i still get "weirdo" looks from all. Many are afraid, it seems, to approach. Perhaps they fear proselytizing. (not me.
    I just went through the same thing. I decided before the trip that I would never initiate "the conversation" but would merely answer any questions asked. All but a couple, including the river guides, gradually wondered over to check it out. I was later informed by my BIL that the guides were very intrigued by our hammocks.

Banks of the Amite River, Port Vincent, Louisiana
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Suspension
    Prussik Grabber
    I guess I'm just too rough for silnylon. I tore the end of both of my snake skins the first time I set up my hammock. The problem was I was trying to get the ends pulled too far over the tie point of the hammock. HH puts an electrical tie wrap right their for some ungodly reason. The sharp edge of the tie wrap with the silnylon under tension cut it like butter. It is now repaired with electrical tape on my brand new hammock. I'm so freaking glad that I didn't get the silnylon tarp. There is no way it would have held up to my abuse.

Anyway now that I'm working a little more gently with them the snake skins are great for set up and take down. I may get another set for the tarp and ridgeline to keep it tidy and ready to deploy.

Hammock
    HH Exped. Asym
    Tarp
    OES
    Suspension
    Dutch Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bateauxdriver View Post
    I may get another set for the tarp and ridgeline to keep it tidy and ready to deploy.
    I just did this 2 days ago! Loved my snake skins so much I bought a set for the tarp!

Hammock
    DIY + whoopie SLR
    Tarp
    Golite poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ / Down bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel whoopies
    Images
    So are there different manufactures of snake skins? HH seem to do the dead tight tapered one, but I think I prefer my DD one which isn't tapered and looser which makes it easy to slide it over the hammock as well as stuffing. Quite like the idea of getting another for my tarp tho

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast