Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images

Long term feedback

OK... Im looking for some long term feedback on my early orders. What Im really interested in is how things are holding up.

1. Functionality
    2. Aesthetics
    3. Wear
    4. Improvements

Ive gotten some very good feedback on current items, so if you havent already given me some, please do so now.

Hammock
    Hennessy ULBA with 2QZQ mod #4
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammockgear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slings/DCs
    Opie,

This is great to see you doing this type of thing. It shows how much you care about your product and how it performs for your customers. I have been following the posts and videos from you for a while now and I have pretty much figured that I will change out my stock suspension on my HH ULB A-Sym to one of your WhoOpie Sling systems. I just need to get an order to you without my wife finding more "Toys" have been ordered for my new hobby. Camping, hiking, hammocking and scuba diving....too many hobbies she says.
    Take care,
    Bluefin

Bluefin's Videos

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Thanks Bluefin.... I look forward to being able to help you out when you decide to make some changes.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Hey Opie,

Changed out the suspension on my WBBB in early March with a pair of 8-foot slings and then did about 200 miles on the AT with them, plus a few more nights with my Scout troop. Setup is breeze. No problems with the slings and having you move the distance of the buried eye to 12-inches out to the loop made a big difference in using the UQ, i.e., a lot easier..
    Also changed out the suspension on my HULBA and have the same great results for setup.
    Love those whoOpies!
    Thanks for a great service.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Bump:

I know that there are a lot of folks who have Opie's slings. A little feedback please.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Thanks for the feedback Rock.

Hammock
    Clark n150
    Tarp
    el cheepo
    Insulation
    figuring it out
    Suspension
    ropes/drip rings
    Images
    I have one of your ridglines. It lools like it is 2.4 mm yellow cord with a plastic toggle and a small bead. Not really sure when it was made or if this is an old version so maybe these are not problems anymore and maybe they are my problems more than the equipment but as long as you ask.....

My issues:

1. the prussiks slip probably because they are made out of the same size yellow cord, although I could be setting it up wrong. Maybe I need to snug them somehow?

2. I don't see the benefit of the toggle when you can just make a bigger fixed eye and pass he cord through the fixed eye to cinch it to the tree.

3. I often have trouble setting it up because if the trees are say just 16 or 17 feet apart the ridgline is very long and this means if you connect it to the niteize with the prussik it has to go so far into the middle of the ridgeline that the other prussiks are too close to each other...soooooo....you have to wrap it around the tree again. If the tree is big you may not have enough (this happened to me and I had to add some mason line as a spacer for the day.) If the tree is small you have to wrap it so many times around the tree that it becomes hard to get the ridgline tight as you have to snug not just one loop around the tree but as many as you have. You must be able to come up with some way to make this part adjustable as well to avoid this with all your sling know how?

It appears to be well made and to be holding up well but as long as you have asked for feedback I can tell you what goes through my mind when I use it. All this is for constructive puposes only opie because you asked.

thanks

cooldays

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cooldays View Post
    I have one of your ridglines. It lools like it is 2.4 mm yellow cord with a plastic toggle and a small bead. Not really sure when it was made or if this is an old version so maybe these are not problems anymore and maybe they are my problems more than the equipment but as long as you ask.....
    The main line is 2.2mm and the prusiks are 1.75mm.

My issues:

1. the prussiks slip probably because they are made out of the same size yellow cord, although I could be setting it up wrong. Maybe I need to snug them somehow?
    There is some slip designed into the RL to protect the tarp. However, there should be enough line on the prusik loops to give them another wrap if the current 3 arent holding for you. I have started giving the figure 9 prusik 4 wraps while keeping the tarp prusiks a 3 wrap. I havent noticed any significant amount of slippage. Ive had several styles and sizes of tarps set up with both the single and double RL, over several days, and they were all pitched just as tight after several days as they were when I set them up.

2. I don't see the benefit of the toggle when you can just make a bigger fixed eye and pass he cord through the fixed eye to cinch it to the tree.
    The idea of the toggle was to not have to girth hitch one end to the tree. For those that leave their tarp attached, it is easier to hitch one end using a clip or toggle... Or now I use the Nite Ize Knot Bone, then it would be to have to run the entire RL through one of the loops, especially if your tarp is attached to the line.

3. I often have trouble setting it up because if the trees are say just 16 or 17 feet apart the ridgline is very long and this means if you connect it to the niteize with the prussik it has to go so far into the middle of the ridgeline that the other prussiks are too close to each other...soooooo....you have to wrap it around the tree again. If the tree is big you may not have enough (this happened to me and I had to add some mason line as a spacer for the day.) If the tree is small you have to wrap it so many times around the tree that it becomes hard to get the ridgline tight as you have to snug not just one loop around the tree but as many as you have. You must be able to come up with some way to make this part adjustable as well to avoid this with all your sling know how?
    The prusik with the figure 9 on it will slide. Theortically you can get the figure 9 right up against the second tree so its not in the way at all. It sounds like you may be wrapping the figure 9 around the tree along with the rest of the line, is that the case? I would appreciate pictures of your set-up. I have gone from anywhere between a 13' span up to over 20' with no issues. Yes, sometimes you wont have enough line due to distance and girth of the trees. Generally if thats the case, depending on the length of your hammock suspension, it may be best to find a different set of trees.

It appears to be well made and to be holding up well but as long as you have asked for feedback I can tell you what goes through my mind when I use it. All this is for constructive puposes only opie because you asked.

thanks

cooldays
    cool, this is EXACTLY the type of feedback Im after. If we can nail down whats not working for you the way it should be, Ill correct it.

Hammock
    Clark n150
    Tarp
    el cheepo
    Insulation
    figuring it out
    Suspension
    ropes/drip rings
    Images
    The idea of the toggle was to not have to girth hitch one end to the tree. For those that leave their tarp attached, it is easier to hitch one end using a clip or toggle... Or now I use the Nite Ize Knot Bone, then it would be to have to run the entire RL through one of the loops, especially if your tarp is attached to the line.

this makes sense....my ridgeline goes up first then I clip my tarp on so it makes sense to me for those who don't detach...

The prusik with the figure 9 on it will slide. Theortically you can get the figure 9 right up against the second tree so its not in the way at all. It sounds like you may be wrapping the figure 9 around the tree along with the rest of the line, is that the case? I would appreciate pictures of your set-up. I have gone from anywhere between a 13' span up to over 20' with no issues. Yes, sometimes you wont have enough line due to distance and girth of the trees. Generally if thats the case, depending on the length of your hammock suspension, it may be best to find a different set of trees.

My point is if the trees you pick are close together and the tree you have the nite ize prussik close to is large then you don't have wiggle room. Either you have to go around the tree and you might not make it...or you have to slide the prussik with the nite ize too far down the line to let your tarp get taught. Something adustable here would solve it.

cool, this is EXACTLY the type of feedback Im after. If we can nail down whats not working for you the way it should be, Ill correct it.[/QUOTE]

thanks!

Hammock
    Clark n150
    Tarp
    el cheepo
    Insulation
    figuring it out
    Suspension
    ropes/drip rings
    Images
    oops...didn't quote right...

• + New Posts