Tarp
    OES10x12catcutSpin
    Insulation
    Yeti,HG
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images

JMT and Yosemite trip info

I am going out for a backpacking trip 7/27 thru 8/5. Hiking from Mammoth Lakes to Tuolumne Meadows with a group then hiking to Yosemite Valley solo to take in the sights.
    Anyone out there ( maybe Calif. hangers ) got any helpful info on hanging in this area. I've done a couple sections of the JMT in 08 and 09 this would be the first time hammocking. With one or two exceptions we always had trees at campsites. I'm wonderng about bringing a pad for backup mainly. Thanks

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eagleJ View Post
    I am going out for a backpacking trip 7/27 thru 8/5. Hiking from Mammoth Lakes to Tuolumne Meadows with a group then hiking to Yosemite Valley solo to take in the sights.
    Anyone out there ( maybe Calif. hangers ) got any helpful info on hanging in this area. I've done a couple sections of the JMT in 08 and 09 this would be the first time hammocking. With one or two exceptions we always had trees at campsites. I'm wondering about bringing a pad for backup mainly. Thanks
    Sorry, I have been to that area but have not backpacked it, and have no info for you. I'm sure others will. However, on the subject of pad as backup in high mountains, I present this pic of my first ever hammock trip, which happened to be in the Wind Rivers of WY:

This was on the 3rd night of this week long trip, and I hung on all other nights. I did not need the pad for hammock insulation(used HH Super Shelter), but on this night I sure was glad I brought my pads for backup. Actually, I also had to use the pad midway through the 1st night, when due to lack of hammock skills, I had to abandon the hammock about 0200 due to freezing my butt off. A But I had it figured out by the 2nd night, more or less. I wouldn't have had to sleep on the ground in the above pic except I had such altitude sickness I was unable to get over Texas pass as planned that day. So I had to sleep 800 feet below the pass, and could not get to Lonesome Lake where trees were plentiful.

So I guess my point is, if there is even a 5% chance you might need a pad for the ground or even extra insulation, you might be glad you took it. Also, is it likely you will need a pad to sit or lounge on around a campfire or during lunch breaks at high passes?

New Member anthonysaudiojournal's Avatar
    Hammock
    Hennessy Exped Assym/ ENO Dbl
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/DIY SPE
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

I think you will be okay

I've hiked from Agnew Meadows up to Thousand Island Lake and back around on the High Trail before and did a spur trail to Ediza Lake a couple of times. There were trees near every campsite but maybe not inside the campsite. I wasn't into hammock camping then but looking back I would have had to hike back uphill away from everybody else to get into the trees to set up. Most of the sites I remember were clear tent pads around boulders. The only trees were twisted Limber Pines.

I bet you could find a place anywhere but you might not get to set up with all the other folks in your group.

I did a two-part podcast about our trip

Here's the link to the photos

Here's the link to the audio podcast
    Part One
    Part Two

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I used a pad instead of underquilt in that area and was glad that I did - one of the group had difficulties and we had to camp somewhere that hanging was not really feasible. You need to stay with the group permit.

Email me if you have questions, I go there all the time - our hiking group is based in Fresno and more than half of our hikes/backpacks are there, we might even run into you.

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Backpacker
    Insulation
    Nest & Sniveller
    Suspension
    Whoopies & E trunk

Yosemite

I am also wondering what the conditions for hanging in Yosemite are as well. I will be in Yosemite the middle of July. I plan to hang but if need be I could take my pad. Anyone else with Yosemite experience?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    OES10x12catcutSpin
    Insulation
    Yeti,HG
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Here's a couple pictures taken in the area day before yesterday http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...1&d=1278364708
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...1&d=1278364708
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    I used a pad instead of underquilt in that area and was glad that I did - one of the group had difficulties and we had to camp somewhere that hanging was not really feasible. You need to stay with the group permit.

Email me if you have questions, I go there all the time - our hiking group is based in Fresno and more than half of our hikes/backpacks are there, we might even run into you.
    Hey Lori, do you ever get out to McGee Creek?

We were out there last summer.... very impressive.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Yosemite is a great place to hang, have done so all over the place - but take long straps. The pines get big. The difficulty will be if you are heading over 9,000-10,000 feet and intending to camp up there... we had to make camp at 10,000 feet on the backside of Donahue pass and while there were trees, they were springloaded (spindly and soft, 4-5 inch diameter) and would not allow for a taut pitch. When the wind started to gust 40 mph I was very quickly grounded and glad not to be bouncing on the ground.

If you are car camping take ground gear too. They won't let you swap sites and you don't always get good trees, most of the valley sites are open and flat or have trees of a size that you can't hang from them. I had better luck in the backpacker campground (though the ranger really eyed the hammock up and down, thought she was going to tell me to remove it).

Hobie, McGee is east side - I've been over there but not been to a lot of places. I can tell you where the hot springs and primo hangs are in Sierra NF tho.

eagleJ, expect snow on high passes and don't resist backtracking to bail off trail if it's too dangerous. This is one of those atypical non-drought years so there will be patchy lingering snow even in early August, up high. Most of the stuff below 9000 feet is melted and/or melting fast, but this is depending on exposure; some slopes get less sun.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    OES10x12catcutSpin
    Insulation
    Yeti,HG
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Flying in from NC gear is got to be kept to minimum, plan is I will be getting solo permit but accompanying a group of 4 friends, so I hope to be able to find good camps

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    OES10x12catcutSpin
    Insulation
    Yeti,HG
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Last 4 days I'll be solo from Tuolumne to the Valley other than Half Dome if anyone knows of any must see's let me know.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast