No-frills noob with a few questions.

Hello all. Just bought myself an Exped Scout Hammock and would like to know the safest/most reliable/zero-frills way to hang. I bought two 12' lengths of tubular webbing and, as per Ray Mears brief instructional, I've been tying locked and slipped (quick-release) Siberian hitches all around and it seems to be doing the trick. Sometimes, if I require more tension, I'll use a trucker's hitch at one end. What I would like to know is if there are any superior/easier/safer knots I should be using. I would also like recommendations on the best, lightest cord/rope to use in place of webbing, without worries of knot strength. I'm assuming these topics have been touched upon here, but I'm really just looking for the lightest, simplest no-fail solution using a few easy to tie knots, and would appreciate any info/links you might provide. Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Welcome!

The easiest no frills suspension IMO would be webbing with a cinch buckle. To keep things simple there is a loop on one end and the other end goes around the tree and then through the loop. The webbing is then passed through a cinch buckle of some variety that is atached to the hammock. Adjustment is simply a matter of pulling the webbing through to tighten or loosen. Take a look at the suspension on the warbonnet blackbird in this video (the one on the left at about 2:00 minutes). He uses a carabiner on the webbing loop but you could just feed the webbing through or use a dutch clip.

Whoopie slings combined with webbing to protect the trees is a very popular option around here. This method offers the same ease of adjustability as the above mentioned system but is less weight and bulk.

I like the looks of the adjustable buckle. Is there a way folks sew their own loops, or have someone sew them to hold the weight, or are they generally bought that way?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Some sew their own. Others buy prestitched webbing from places like Arrowhead Equipment or Whoopieslings.com. If you buy some make sure you buy Polyester or polypropylene. Nylon tends to stretch and will therefore require readjustment after laying in the hammock and if they get wet. Paul at Arrowhead Equipment also sells the cinch buckles. I'm not familiar with your hammock. Is it a end channel hammock? If you wanted to convert your hammock would need to get these cinch buckles with chain link and tree huggers. It will cost you over $50.00 bucks though.

If you go to Canadian Tire or Home Depot and find some ratcheted straps that are polyester then you could cut the S hooks off and you will have a sewn loop. Alternately you can cut the straps and tie a knot to create your own loop. It's not as pretty as stiching but just as effective. Problem is some of those straps don't indicate what they are made of and are often nylon.
    Last edited by Bubba; 07-06-2010 at 02:02.

• + New Posts