Thread: winter uq?

winter uq?

I have been hanging all summer so far in my back yard. But I am really looking forward to the fall and winter seasons. does anyone know what kind of uq would be the best for temps that would range between say 0-35 degrees F? and would fit a Mosquito Hammock.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by manta View Post
    I have been hanging all summer so far in my back yard. But I am really looking forward to the fall and winter seasons. does anyone know what kind of uq would be the best for temps that would range between say 0-35 degrees F? and would fit a Mosquito Hammock.
    i can only tell you my mt washington by JRB has gotten me below 0. i think it is the Mt Wash 4. they didnt have a 3 when i bought it. im sure there are others, but 3 years ago not many choices.

Hammock
    warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, & TQ
    Suspension
    amsteel, treehuger
    Images
    the burrow from Hammock Gear would be good. I think he makes a version that is good to 0 deg. Brandon at Warbonnet makes real nice stuff. the Kick *** Quilts are nice synthetic UQ's. I hate to name only a few . so many guys here make really nice stuff. take some time and poke around the different gear makers here. It is ALL excellent , quality, gear, american made , by people who really do care about their work.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I love my Winter Burrow made by Stormcrow over at http://hammockgear.com/. It got me down to 7 degrees last year at the NJ winter hang. Great construction and he has even made some new improvements on the UQ's he producing now. Every UQ that vendors sell have their pluses and minuses its all a balancing act of what features you like and which ones you choose to do with out. Good luck deciding and make sure you post pics . The first choice you should make is do you want a 1/2, 2/3 or Full length UQ.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Welcome to the forum from a fellow Newnan-ite! My mother and brother still live in Newnan.

Get ready - the hot weather we have here is coming your way. Don't test any winter quilts anytime soon!

As someone above said, their are several cottage guys that can help you out. The ones that come to mind are:
    + Jacks R Better (JRB) - probably the oldest, uhhh, make that "longest in business", hammock quilt makers around. A lot of the early research work was done by these guys. They probably have the most complete line of quilts around.
    + Arrowhead Equipment (AHE) - has synthetic quilts, namely the KAQ (Kickass Quilts) line.
    + Warbonnet Outdoors - home of the "Yeti"
    + Hammock Gear (formerly "The Perfect Trees" (before July 3, 2010)) - has down quilts in various lengths and lofts.
    + Tree to Tree Trail Gear - carries the Speer products, including the Snugfit and Peapod.
    + Others - there are a couple of folks that make a few quilts for sale but not so much as a full time business. Te-Wa comes to mind (HF member). There are a couple of others. Molly Mac Gear (part of Tree to Tree) makes insultex (IX) UQs but I don't remember if they have a winter version - it seems like you get a winter UQ by adding layers of IX.

All are great guys and are known for customer service. I believe all are HF members. Go to the "Forum" page and look through the "Hammock Gear - Manufacturers and Services" section to find out more.

Happy hanging!
    Last edited by JayS; 07-07-2010 at 19:41.

• + New Posts