Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie and future tree hanger.

Hello all
    I found this forum while doing some research into hammock camping, or more likely just getting away to the mountains and practice primitive skills and enjoy waking up to the forest without limping around from sleeping on the ground( back is getting kind of tricky). I'm lucky that I live close to a state forest where I can primitive camp with no permit. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm 6'4" 210 lbs. I'm looking at the Hennesee Explorer due to it's length. I'm doing this with a very limited budget.
    Great to be here and hopefully I'll be able to tell of my experience tree hanging in the near future.

Hammock
    Blackbird DL1.1 / ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    WntrYeti/Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Webbing
    Welcome! I don't have any experience with Hennessy, but people who have them swear by em. Happy hangin'!
    oldgringo's reply to my worrying about owning extra hammocks:

How many pairs of underwear do you own? Do you refer to them as "extras", simply because you're not wearing all of them as we speak?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Welcome to the forums. No experience the the Hennessey here either. But many of the members here use them. I'm sure a few of them will chime in shortly.
    Terry

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WBB Superfly
    Suspension
    Adjustable Web
    Images
    Sorry, I'm not going to be any help either as I have a WBBB and and ENO. Welcome to the forum
    Hammocker Prayer - "Don't every let my wife sell my hammock equipment for what I told her I paid for it."

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Etowah 10X12 Camo
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Welcome to the "fold"! Sorry, no help here either...I've got a Warbonnet Traveler. I'm on a tight budget too, so I know where you're coming from.

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner

i have that hammock!

i have the hammock that you are looking at. im 6ft and 190 ish pounds.

i find it more than ample length wise and have never had a problem taking my weight. we are both within the recommended height and weight limits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwzZTeAE3yc

heres a video of mine if you wanna check out the different aspects of it.

lemme know what you think.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Wow! First four responses to a Hennessy thread were by people that don't use them. Heck of a change from even a year ago.

The HH Explorer is my favorite sized Hennessy. I'm only 6', but don't fit real well in the Expeditions. I can sleep OK in them, just not nearly as comfortable as the Explorers. I would encourage you to get a model with a side zipper, or send your bottom entry model in for a zipper mod. Otherwise, they are very functional hammocks that are priced quite low for what you get. They aren't the first choice hammock that they used to be due to the increase in competition, but they are solid systems that give you what you need to start the addiction.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp.
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.5'x12'
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Welcome to the forums.

I have used the HH Expedition for about a year now and have no complaints. I am 5' 10" and 180 lbs. so the Expedition works good for me. The reason I settled in on the HH was cost to risk ratio. What I mean is that I was new to hammock camping and was not sure how I would like it. The HH was a fairly low cost system that came complete with hammock, suspension, and tarp. I figured if I did not like it then I would not be out a lot of money. That said, since buying this first hammock I have not slept in anything else on a campout or hike. The bottom entry does not bother me but I have thought about getting the zipper mods from 2Q/ZQ though.

There are many options out there for you but what you get from HH for the price is a good deal in my opinion. I am sure others will chime in and provide more info. This is just my experience so far.

Chris

Thanks for the kind welcome, I should be getting the Explorer next week as it seems it will work for me and was in my budget range. That was a great video Trekkingnut that will be a big help and I saved it to my favorites for referance next week. I'm planning to set it up in the back yard when I get it and try it out. I can hardly wait!

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    Quote Originally Posted by mechtec View Post
    Thanks for the kind welcome, I should be getting the Explorer next week as it seems it will work for me and was in my budget range. That was a great video Trekkingnut that will be a big help and I saved it to my favorites for referance next week. I'm planning to set it up in the back yard when I get it and try it out. I can hardly wait!
    glad it helped, im going to do another one shortly with a few more little bits and pieces, my hanging method cant be used on trees where the tree huggers dont go all the way round, not a problem for me in the jungle but sure it would be a problem in the states. anyways, im sure you'll love the thing to pieces! i easily manage 7/8 hours solid sleep in a hammock as opposed to 2hrs on half hour off in a tent..... well worth the money!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast