Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Black Goat, You've put together a great set of instructions. In fact I will be using them to build a couple of hammocks for friends. While they are excellent you may want to keep in mind that your scouts or their parents. May not have any knowledge of hammocks or DIY techniques in general. Years ago when I was a scoutmaster I put together some DIY instructions for making packs, ground bivy's etc. In order to try and alleviate the inevitable questions. I always assumed that the person who would be using the instructions knew nothing about the subject of the instructions. I tried to break down construction details to a level that even the most novice of crafters could understand. And tried not to use any kind of technical terms and instead used only everyday terms. You might want to add a complete materials list, a short glossary of special terms (if they must be used) or explanation of specialized construction techniques. Lastly always be prepared to answer questions.
    Terry

Updated Instructions

I finally got around to updating these instructions to include the feedback I had recieved from other members who had used them. Please take a look and let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

http://blackgoatgear.blogspot.com/20...k-pattern.html

Thanks,

BG

Hammock
    DL
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thank you for these great instructions BlackGoat, you rock! I"m noob and no experience in hammocking and I can't wait for my first hang. I've read great reviews about wbbb and became my hammock of choice. Unfortunately for someone who lives on the other side of the globe with limited dinero, DIY is the closest I can get my hands(at least) to the real thing.

Great work. I'd make the addition of what type of hammock you're providing instructions for. Not everybody knows what a WBBB is, so a simple sketch of the finished design would be good.

Hammock
    Hennessey Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Lots of it!!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    This is one of the better threads I've seen for working up a scout hammock program. I started with the suspension and showing the kids how to do whoopee slings with disastrous results.
    Silver on the Sage, Starlit Sky's above, Swingin' from the trees in a Hammock that I love.....

Hammock
    The Kayak
    Tarp
    Exped scoutextreme
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Keltydownsb
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE & Tre Strp

In the shoes of the non handy parent

The design looks great. I may even do my next DIY hammock like this one, however. I think you may still have a project that would be too overwhelming for a beginning DIY'er or someone with no sewing experience to want to attempt to do. I think you may get more parental support if you do something simpler like Knotty's whipped end and an enclosed or soft seal bug net. This is just my opinion for all I know you live in a community where you make all of your own clothes and don't have a burger stand for miles around.

Great looking hammock though and seriously I am thinking of doing yours. Already have it bookmarked.

Hammock
    DL
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Shelf and footbox piece.

A week of brain feeding for my first DIYBB project i think I'm getting closer to trying this one but I still need a few more input just to make sure I dont screw this up. I'd like to ask a few questions to BlackGoat and all the others who had used this instructions. Anyway in connecting the shelf and footbox piece, where do you start seaming first the footbox or the shelf? From pictures and videos I saw of wbb i noticed that theres a 3-5? inch distance to the whipping from where the triangle(footbox) would end? If I start seaming footbox first with that certain distance from the whipping will the whole piece fit? If so how many inches is best to use? ...and lastly for now, did you measure the 6in for the connecting piece from the end corners of the shelf and the triangle like in the drawing below? Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12