History of hammocks.

"In the Beginning....... Where did the Hammock Originate? Most Central American countries including Mexico, Guatemala, Nicaragua, El Salvador and Costa Rica ~ and South American countries like Brazil and Equador ~ have a rich and ancient heritage associated with hammocks that predate North Americans by 800 - 900 years. It is generally accepted that the origins of the hammock began approximately 1000 years ago in Central America by the Mayan Indians. This advanced culture which produced the most accurate calendar, the Mayan calendar, built the architecturally exquisite pyramids and stone palaces, created their own writing system, and were extraordinary astronomers and mathematicians, also designed a web-like hammock which is still in use today and considered to be the most ingenious and comfortable of all hammocks.

The earliest hammocks were woven from the bark of the Hamak tree. The Sisal plant {similar in looks to an Aloe Vera plant} later replaced the bark as the material of choice for the hammock because it was more abundant, and its fibers could be softened by rubbing them against the thigh. The use of cotton in these original hammocks is a relatively new material adopted only in the last 50 - 60 years!

Because of the extensive trade routes which were established between the Indian nations of Central and South America, the hammock naturally found its way into the heart and home of millions of natives. Hammocks were soon being made from indigenous fabrics and materials which resulted in a multitude of styles, which have evolved to the classic cloth/fabric hammock, typical of Brazil, and cord and rope hammocks similar to today's styles.

Shortly after Columbus dropped anchor in the "New World" hoping to find shiploads of gems, spices and fine silks he found, instead, a load of natives of the Bahamas lounging in hammocks for their afternoon siesta and demonstrating their genetically superior disdain for time! Columbus decided to take a load of hammocks back to Europe with him, along with the few gold trinkets he was given {which would ultimately create the first gold rush in the new world and be the beginning of the end of many great nations}, probably to substitute for the lack of other "Eastern treasures". Soon, many European sailors, particularly the British and the French, found the hammocks very useful and practical for sleeping at sea.

The Europeans generally utilized canvas cloth for their hammocks, which the Navy used for three centuries. These naval hammocks, unlike their predecessors, were small, sweaty and cramped - each sailor was allowed about 4 inches in width! During battle engagements, the hammocks were rolled up in tight bundles and jammed into racks on the ship's gunwales as protection against small arms fire. A few bullet holes were probably welcome ventilation to the sailors!

CONTINUED ON NEXT PAGE --> Written by: David Fairley

In 19th century Britain the prison system incorporated the hammock as their standard sleeping apparatus because of its space saving qualities. The large brass hammock loop ends were hung over two large hooks securely fastened to opposing walls and could be taken down and folded up or hung off one hook for storage to create instant space {a technique commonly used today indoors}. However, when the inmates realized what sweet little weapons the brass rings made, the wardens got rid of them.

In the 18th century hammocks in North America were still considered a novelty. Most hammocks were narrow with wood staves and demanded agility and balance. It wasn't until the 1880's, thanks in part to a wider version, that the hammock became popular in North America. Today, approximately 500,000 - 2,000,000 hammocks are sold yearly in North America to siesta seeking consumers. World wide over 100 million people use hammocks as beds or furniture everyday, including Africa, China, Philippines, South Pacific, and of course, Central and South America.

The hammock has definitely earned its "space" in the annals of history and definitely a place somewhere in our life today ~ indoors or out ~ and will continue to play a significant role in relaxation and leisure into the distant future."

Written by: David Fairley

Found this and thought it was interesting
    earplug

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Nice find. I loves me some hammock history!

I've heard it argued that hammocks have been in existence for closer to 2000 years than 1000, maybe more. The Mayans reigned Central America during the Classic Period (A.D. 300 - 900). There were supposedly some writings and drawings found that put the first known Mayan hammock at roughly 400 A.D. However, there is also some evidence that puts hammocks in use during the time of the Roman Empire's conquest of Egypt, which is just before the Anno Domini (A.D.). The 'evidence' is along the lines of the Roman soldiers being amazed at the manner in which some of the Egyptians slept. They compared them to spiders sleeping in a web of sorts.

Moses may not have been so quick to leave Egypt if there were hammocks, so I question the legitimacy of that theory.
    Trust nobody!

All I know is that I saw Fred Flintstone (note my avatar) using one. And that places them in Paleolithic era. Man - they sure did make them small back then.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by earplug94 View Post
    All I know is that I saw Fred Flintstone (note my avatar) using one. And that places them in Paleolithic era. Man - they sure did make them small back then.

I'd be willing to bet there was a caveman hanging in a hammock somewhere.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by earplug94 View Post
    ...created their own writing system...
    Well who else's writing system would they create? Sorry it just struck me as funny! I liked the article.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

• + New Posts