Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images

Am I crazy?

Hello all, Sidewinder here. New guy. Been lurking for awhile on an off. I've been sleeping on the ground while camping most of my life. I've never really been comfortable. I've tried all kinds of mats, pad, and cots. You name it.

So the other day I try a HH ULB which I got it from REI. My 11 year old son tries it one night and loves it. A natural hanger. I on the other hand had a hell of a time in it. Tried it without a pad until I get cold on my back then put a pad under me. I never really got comfortable in it the hammock. I was able to sleep maybe an hour at a time all though the night. I kept waking up to shift positions. By the morning, I was all the way at the very bottom of the thing with my legs pointed up and feet touching the far end of the hammock. I felt like a big “V” I never did get the feel of lying off center and definitely was never lying flat. I was tired when I got up but have to admit my body felt pretty good, better then any night on the ground. I was surprised that I didn’t ache more given that I was shifting so much and that I felt strain on my low back during the night and slight compression in my shoulders.

So here’s my crazy thinking: I am committed to making this hammock thing work. Sleeping on the ground sucks and the human body can get use to just about anything, so why not a hammock? I see so many advantages with hammocking that I an unwilling to give up. I know my son wants one, so here is what I did. I ordered two new hammocks and returned the HH to REI. Based on what I’ve read here, I got a 1.1 Warbonnet and a JRB Bridge Hammock. My thinking is to try both to see which I like better and end up letting my son user the other. Ultimately, I may give him one once he gets older and needs to venture out on his own.

I still don’t know if the hammock thing is for me, but this is how I am thinking now. I know that some of you will say that I can always sell one or both here on the forums, but I never end up sell anything. I just end up collecting stuff. So I am I crazy? Was there a better way for me to do this? Maybe. Either I will become one of the brethren or just add to my collection of stuff. Wish me luck and/or send some tips my way.

BTW, seems like a really tight knit goups of nice people here.

Regards,

S.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Ogee
    Insulation
    Jerry Chair
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Tried it without a pad until I get cold on my back then put a pad under me. I never really got comfortable in it the hammock.
    I don't like pads in hammocks either, it just seems awkward. Underquilts work much better and there is a lot of information on this site about them.

By the morning, I was all the way at the very bottom of the thing with my legs pointed up and feet touching the far end of the hammock.
    If you hang the foot end a little higher than the head end of the hammock you should be able to avoid this happening in the future.

I felt like a big “V” I never did get the feel of lying off center and definitely was never lying flat.
    If you add more sag to the hang of the hammock it becomes easier to lay diagonally which will feel more flat.

Before anyone can give you any meaningful advice, we need to know your height and weight.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    How many recliners do you have to try out, before you find the one that says, "Come to Daddy?" Hammocks are no different.

Welcome to HF...where we're all a little bit crazy.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    no your not crazy.....

i'v bee hanging for over 4 years and i'm still looking for the right hammock for me
    i'm pretty much the same way ....but i sleep for 3 hours...get up...and can't go back to sleep...
    i think i only slept a hole night maybe 3 times out of 100...not good odds
    or i'm up every hour like you trying to find a good position ...
    what keeps me coming back is i don't need to find a flat clean place to set up camp...
    and anyone thats ever hiked the AT in PA will tell you..we have alot of rocks

i could always go back to the ground and not think anything of it...i slept good on th ground...but rather stick with the hammocks till i tried everyone out there
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey ...... sometimes it takes a few times for it "to take" ...... how you hang it .... sag .... no sag ..... type of hammock ........ ahhhhh.
    It will come ...... just be patient and set some time aside to play with set-ups and such. Ultimately it just leads you to the piney woods!!!!
    I have a video series that may help ya' ....... Shug's Hammock How Tos for Noobs.
    Keep on.......
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    As mentioned, how big are you? I tried to save a few bucks when I started out hanging, and got the HH Exped. While it was more comfortable than a tent, I still felt a little cramped. I then shelled out for the Explorer Deluxe, and it is a night and day difference. I am much more comfortable.

I too wrestled with the pad at first. And that was because I was using a full size pad. I now use Thermalite's Prolite Plus 2/3rds pad, and the discomfort I had with a pad disappeared. As we speak, I am awaiting the delivery of my MollyMac Gear IX UQ. That should be the cat's meow.

For sag, and piosition, Poker88 mentioned raising the foot end a bit higher, and adding a bit more sag. I do both, and find the space inside the hammock extremely comfortable, and allowing my upper body to lay nice and flat, and fully supported. My legs are slightly raised and akimbo, but it is amazingly comfy that way.

Images
    So I am I crazy?
    A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
    Albert Einstein

where else would i get to use that quote

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
    Albert Einstein

where else would i get to use that quote
    my mom and dads house........
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlespaul View Post
    my mom and dads house........
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast