HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x10
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Garda Hitch and the HH Exped...Safe?

I purchased rings for my suspension today in my quest for easier adjustability.
    Set everything up in the backyard and it works great! Then I read a few old threads about the Garda hitch weakening the rope. The HH Expedition uses heavy polyester rope, will it be ok over time using the Garda hitch?

"Hangnouts" picture in post #11 in this thread looks ideal. Using just the biner to achieve the same thing as the hitch looks too good to be true. Does anyone still use this system?
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=8078

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaron View Post
    I purchased rings for my suspension today in my quest for easier adjustability.
    Set everything up in the backyard and it works great! Then I read a few old threads about the Garda hitch weakening the rope. The HH Expedition uses heavy polyester rope, will it be ok over time using the Garda hitch?
    I met up with a local forum member (jefftrex) for an overnight test hang that got aborted (long story). Anyway, he used a garda hitch setup with 2 descending rings attached to an Amsteel continuous loop (or AHE chain link) on each end of the hammock. He didn't want to remove the stock ropes from his Hennessy Hammock. His impression of it was that it worked great in the initial adjustment department, but he found it to be a real pain to undo after it had been weighted overnight. He eventually swapped that out for a set of whoopie slings.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    I use a single ring on my HH, which I think Grizz calls a "sliding ring." It allows very easy set up at only 22 grams of extra weight, but as Brian pointed out the knot can be stubborn at times. As I learned to make the hitch better it bound-up far less frequently.

Here is a video of the sliding ring at 1:47:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/v...ls&videoid=101

My only variation is that I don't use the Marling Spike, but simply run the cord through the loop in the webbing and back to the ring.

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner

heres a video i made about this topic recently.

the know isnt hard to undo if you do it right.

once you have the garda hitch done, loop the rope through the rings one more time and then do a really simple quick release know. this means the rope cant slide back through the rings and also it can never lock up when you try and undo it in the morning.

if for some reason you find that you just cant split the rings in the morning to losen off the knot, remember that the hammock will have stretched the rope out a bit as always happens anyway, so grap the rope and pull it towards the rings and split them with the other hand.

its definitely the best way to set up the HH in my experience. i havent tried whoopie slings yet though... i live in the uk and these things are hard to come by....

in case the video doesnt work the link is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iJTjful66M

also check out my other video for hennessy hammock 101's:
    Last edited by trekkingnut; 07-08-2010 at 14:12.

• + New Posts