Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

I'm in love again

I went for a hike with my wife over the 4th. There was very little chance of rain so I decided to my HH with teh stock tarp. The HH is heavily modded with 2Q zippers and webbing suspension. The suspension also cinch buckles with Dutch clips. I felt a little old school without my BB and whoopies but I still listen to RunDMC so I am old school. Anyhow what a snap to set it up. No hugger that has to fit a certain size tree. No toggle that the whoopie can turn and slip off. Just reach around the tree, hook the Dutch clip and tighten the buckle. Tear down was even easier and no chance of leaving anything behind because it is all one piece. Really I can't tell the difference in weight although I'm sure there is some. But it is just too simple I'm thinking about putting my webbing/cinch buckles back on my BB. The only thing I don't care for the HH is the bugnet is in my face compared to the BB. I slept the entire night through. Love to wake up by the birds chirping. I too often get caught up in contantly trying to perfect my system with the latest and greatest thing.

Something that amazes me is there are so many hangers out there that don't know about HF or all the inovations we do. Most of the hammocks I see out there are stock HH with stock tarp. Also people who carry large sleeping bags on the outside of their pack, What is up with that?
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Such wisdom in one so fair ....

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I still listen to RunDMC
    You talk too much... Is that old school? Nice post, btw. glad to hear you got out on the 4th and had a good trip.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Great post...
    I can't believe you convinced your wife to go hang with you!! Kudos!!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    Great post...
    I can't believe you convinced your wife to go hang with you!! Kudos!!
    She can still kick out 20 mile days. She only gets out once a year these days, but she is still my favorite hiking partner.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    That's why I made an all-in-one whoopie sling suspension. The first time I tried whoopies, I hated the fiddling of having the tree straps separate, and I vastly preferred my webbing suspension.

Once I made an all-in-one with the whoopies permanently attached to the webbing, and Dutch clips on the end, it was just as easy to set up as the full webbing, but without the fiddle factor. The only thing I would change if I did it again would be to make the whoopies longer - I will probably do that eventually, but I have to order more amsteel first.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    That's why I made an all-in-one whoopie sling suspension. The first time I tried whoopies, I hated the fiddling of having the tree straps separate, and I vastly preferred my webbing suspension.

Once I made an all-in-one with the whoopies permanently attached to the webbing, and Dutch clips on the end, it was just as easy to set up as the full webbing, but without the fiddle factor. The only thing I would change if I did it again would be to make the whoopies longer - I will probably do that eventually, but I have to order more amsteel first.
    So your whoopies go through your hugger loop? I have been thinking of doing just that. Does it ever limit you to a certain size tree or decrease that minimum distance the trees are apart though?
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Here's a description of how I did it:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=18440

If I were in a situation where the extra 20 inches of length from the whoopie buries were going to put the trees too close together, my 12x10 tarp wouldn't fit, so it wouldn't be much of an issue. However, I could simply rotate the strapping around the tree to wrap the whoopie bury on top of the strap, if it came down to it, and take up the slack.

Same thing with tree size - it wouldn't be ideal, but I could tie the whoopie sling off to the Dutch clips with a clove hitch if I had to wrap a tree that was larger than my huggers. That's actually one of the reasons I would like to add larger whoopie slings - since the Amsteel is so light and has so little bulk, adding another couple of feet to each end has very little weight penalty.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    One reason I like my Dutch clips is that they clip onto 7/64" Amsteel for storage and travel. The Amsteel is just thick enough that it takes a little pressure to get it into the Dutch clip. So my tree huggers are separate, but they attach to the whoopies and don't get lost.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I got a renewed appreciation for my HH Explorer---moded by the Zipper Queen, this winter when I used a peapod around it (and the super-shelter foam insulation. That was nice. The Explorer is my only hammock I can get the peapod around.

My appreciation does not extend to "falling in love again", nor do I find reverting to straps so freeing that I'll carry the extra ounces, but you know Dutch. All gooey and sentimental, always gushing about stuff on HF.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast