Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but without it my WS tends to jump off the toggle while I'm just starting to hang the hammock and there isn't much weight on it.
    Not just you. This happens to me too. Just like you said, when hanging the hammock, it tends to jump off toggle when no weight in hammock.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Jumping off the knot? Hmmmm....after I go through the sewn loop or triangle and then through the woopie I go over the soft shackle knot and immediately cinch it down by milking the bury...so far no jumping off the knot...and as mentioned earlier the stress when loaded in on the amsteel-the knot just provides a stopping point and has been easy to 'unmilk' to loosen.
    Sewn loop or triangle to far from tree? I just wrap the tree hugger around the tree one more time......

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    MM IX dbl
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Vintage hardware collection:
    Mac, you can send all of your vintage hardware to me. I'm mainly a car camper lately so a few extra ounces don't bother me at all. I'll find some good uses for all of them.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Jumping off the knot? Hmmmm....after I go through the sewn loop or triangle and then through the woopie I go over the soft shackle knot and immediately cinch it down by milking the bury...so far no jumping off the knot...and as mentioned earlier the stress when loaded in on the amsteel-the knot just provides a stopping point and has been easy to 'unmilk' to loosen.
    Sewn loop or triangle to far from tree? I just wrap the tree hugger around the tree one more time......
    I think they are talking about their slings jumping off the marlin spike hitch.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    Pizza, your suspension and tarp arrangement is similar to mine. I am trying out the soft shackles to replace the small S-biner that currently attaches my tarp D-rings to the ridgeline prusik loops. I'm also using them with my WB Traveler with WB bug net combo...connecting the bug net nylon loops (at the ends) to the hammock suspension.

FWIW, I've made a bunch of 'em from 2.2mm Lash-It (grey). I'll be happy to send you a pair if you want try them out. PM your mailing address to me if you're interested.
    Cool, thanks Beep, will do!

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I use one on the adjustable eye. Maybe it's just me, but without it my WS tends to jump off the toggle while I'm just starting to hang the hammock and there isn't much weight on it. It's not too tight, just enough to stay in place when it needs to stay in place, but loose enough so that when I'm changing the adjustable eye it doesn't bind.
    I don't think TeeDee had any problem with that and I know I didn't. I can see how it would happen though. Probably a function of the procedure used to set up. Change one aspect of the procedure and the problem may go away .... or it may get worse .... or it may stay the same and you develop other problems

We avoid the problem now by using rope huggers and connect the Whoopie Sling to the rope hugger with a scarab variant of the nacrabiner. Using that combo is what convinced us to use the scarab - you're trying to thread the nacrabiner behind the rope hugger, then through the whoopie adjustable loop and then open the spliced eye and place over the lanyard knot. And you're doing that while holding things in the same relative position. One hand to hold things, one hand to hold the nacrabiner and one hand to open the spliced eye and a fourth hand to keep it open while placing the loop over the knot . Using the scarab eliminated the need for the third and fourth hands.

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I've used the loop shackle instead of a toggle on a marlinespike hitch. Cinch the hitch down, and insert whoopie sling into shackle. I haven't had any problems with this setup, but the MSH is a little more difficult to undo when breaking down because the loop shackle is so thin that it allows the MSH to get really tight. I'm a little guy, 160 lbs., so I'm not putting as much strain on it as some others would. I'm wondering if others have done this and with what results? Has anyone found that the MSH becomes so tight that they have real difficulty getting it undone?
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Is this the scarab nacrabiner concept that TeeDee and TiredFeet like?
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Is this the scarab nacrabiner concept that TeeDee and TiredFeet like?
    Why, yes, that is it!

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro
    I've used the loop shackle instead of a toggle on a marlinespike hitch. ...MSH is a little more difficult to undo when breaking down
    I like using twigs... they don't slide out of the MSH, but you can break them right in the middle of the hitch.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234