Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

Why is this not the rage?

Set up with Opies soft shackle last night---INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!
    so maybe I'm missing all the enthusiasm about this method on the forum and am just overlooking everyone screaming about how utterly cool it is.
    My tree huggers either have a sewn loop on each end or a sewn loop and a triangle (via Warbonnet)...go around tree and through the loop, other loop gets the soft shackle AND the end of the woopie sling. Done. No Marlin Spike Hitch to tie, no toggle to find or carry.
    Is everyone aware of the simplicity of this and I'm just not reading every word of every thread?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    so maybe I'm missing all the enthusiasm about this method on the forum and am just overlooking everyone screaming about how utterly cool it is.
    My tree huggers either have a sewn loop on each end or a sewn loop and a triangle (via Warbonnet)...go around tree and through the loop, other loop gets the soft shackle AND the end of the woopie sling. Done. No Marlin Spike Hitch to tie, no toggle to find or carry.
    Is everyone aware of the simplicity of this and I'm just not reading every word of every thread?
    i made my sling going through the triangle. (the adjustable loop) dutch clips on the other end

for my next, i want these sown in to the end of a sling (just half of it per sling)

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...s/show/1323980

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    Cool - looks like the ant in the picture is checking it out as well!
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

Images
    No, I am not aware. I have seen some thread but had not read them yet. Just now I found 3 threads by Opie showing how to make them, but at least one said utility not for body weight?

I guess I don't know how these work, yet.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    OES Ultra
    Insulation
    Under Ground Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Why is this not the rage?

I'm totally buying into the rage. This is way cool! My plan is the use this in my configuration. Opie "You Da Man!".

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    It'll hold your body weight if you use the Diamond knot as the stopper knot (if they're made the same way as a "nacrabiner"). Is it the same thing?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    No, I am not aware. I have seen some thread but had not read them yet. Just now I found 3 threads by Opie showing how to make them, but at least one said utility not for body weight?

Opie has hung on them...did some destructive testing with a John Deere, too.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    so I like these things, like making them, they have their place. But I have found them devilish hard to open when they are under load. I tried one for a while as a means of having a quick on/off with a ridgeline, but when the ridgeline has a little tension on it, it definitely was not a convenience.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    It'll hold your body weight if you use the Diamond knot as the stopper knot (if they're made the same way as a "nacrabiner"). Is it the same thing?
    Its the soft shackle prusik thats not designed to hold body weight... This is merely an alternative for attaching your tarp or other light weight clipping purposes. These are made from zing it or lash it.

The soft shackle IS designed to support body weight.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    so I like these things, like making them, they have their place. But I have found them devilish hard to open when they are under load. I tried one for a while as a means of having a quick on/off with a ridgeline, but when the ridgeline has a little tension on it, it definitely was not a convenience.
    It would probably be difficult to disengage a biner under tension too.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast