Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cheap Hammock, what do you recommend?

My friend needs a hammock for his own backpacking adventures. He is the backpacker that is cheap to the max. That's just his style and he won't go for anything spendy unless he's in one of his crazy shopping moments.

I have recommended him to find some ripstop nylon at walmarts. Believe it or not, I only looked in a few local wally's but I actually haven't found anything. There are still a couple more in the area (sorta), so who knows. I have my doubts though. Walmarts are popular in this area I guess

Secondly, I know I saw a Skeeter Beeter at an REI a month ago. Right now it's $40 bucks and that's the cheapest store camping hammock in our area other than DIY. Although I also mentioned the skeeter didn't look so comfortable, but that's IMO.

I did mention the ENO singlenest hammock too, because I almost purchased that awhile ago. It is $50 at REI currently.

I'm thinking his maximum spending would be around $40 bucks, maybe. He has made his own hammock and used very cheap liquidation store hammock in the past. Both were by no means camping hammocks.

I'm not sure how, but I would post up some pictures of his homemade hammock he used on his last trip with me. It broke twice, but was very comfortable for him when it was intact.

It was made of old fishing net and cheap store rope was ducted along both sides to keep it... um, in a hammock shape. Pictures are great

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Google either TrekLight Double or ENO DoubleNest and you can find them on sale for $44.95. Better option than the singles IMO. I had an ENO SingleNest and while comfortable, I am much happier with my DoubleNest. I've got a TrekLight Double on the way and am really looking forward to it.

Your friend will probably want a bug net solution and those have to be bought or made separately.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Google either TrekLight Double or ENO DoubleNest and you can find them on sale for $44.95. Better option than the singles IMO. I had an ENO SingleNest and while comfortable, I am much happier with my DoubleNest. I've got a TrekLight Double on the way and am really looking forward to it.

Your friend will probably want a bug net solution and those have to be bought or made separately.
    Totally agree. For the money and comfort, a double hammock is hard to beat.
    Of course a tarp will add to the expense. Guide Gear 9x9 maybe?
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

The nearest ENO dealer is out probably out of his way. Not sure if he would spend that much $$. Sounds crazy for a decent hammock, but that's just who he is.

There isn't any mosquitoes in the mountains where we go and he doesn't have much interest in a bug net. He also likes to be able to clearly look at the stars. DIY bug net is simple if you can find the right material, if...

Can't find if any TrekLite hammocks are in my area from the internet.
    Last edited by aceatc; 09-30-2007 at 20:46.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Speaking of which, I just spent the weekend hanging in 25 mph winds with gusts of 35-40 (according to the weather dude) and some rain. I was using the 9x9 and the Warbonnet. That tarp really preformed well. I never had to make an adjustment after I got set-up. Did much better than I would have thought and it would work great for any of the hammocks we're talking about here.

Here is what it looked like this morning after 2 nights and one day of pretty serious wind. Pay no attention to the steel poles; this is my testing ground and I'll make it easy if I want to.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aceatc View Post
    The nearest ENO dealer is out probably out of his way. Not sure if he would spend that much $$. Sounds crazy for a decent hammock, but that's just who he is.

There isn't any mosquitoes in the mountains where we go and he doesn't have much interest in a bug net. He also likes to be able to clearly look at the stars. DIY bug net is simple if you can find the right material, if...

Can't find if any TrekLite hammocks are in my area from the internet.
    Order them online. The only bad part is waiting.

Order them online. The only bad part is waiting.
    He doesn't own a computer and I don't think he uses a credit card. I could be a good friend and help with that, but I doubt he would consider buying something online even if it was cheap.

Again... just who he is.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    There is an REI in Tukwila. Bet you could pick up one there.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Have you looked at the Travel Hammock thread? Those are on sale for $18 currently.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    Wow, if $18 isn't cheap enough, your friend should consider grabbing the blanket off his bed and pulling up a rock for a pillow. That's a really good deal!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast