Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Any hikes/ hanging in Pa july 16-18 ?.

I finally got some time freed up to hike!!! Sunday July 11th to Wednesday the 14th or I can hike the 16th-18th (Friday-Sunday). I can do one or the other, but not both.
    I imagine for most people, the weekend hike would be better.
    If anyone has any overnight hikes planed in Pennsylvania during any of those two periods let me know!!! I can travel. Otherwise, I will just pick something out somewhere along the Quehanna trail and backpack for a couple of days. I just need to get out of the house for a few days!! I need to try out my new Clark Hammock!!!
    So far this summer I have been bombarded with family events, graduations, our anniversary (a good thing), picnics, etc , etc.-- every weekend!!
    I Finally I have backpacking time!!
    MML--The Man, The Myth, and the Legend

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i'm free the 28-31 of july....i was going to head out for an overnight one of those nights....

come the fall i'm sure we will have more get togethers ..the summer is hard to get togethers everyoe has family suff or vacation

i know i have alot going on this month as well..
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Ya that doesn't work with my schedule either unfortunately

Hammock
    Hennesey Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hennesey Camo Asym
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Hennesey Stock
    As of now, I am planning an overnighter (possibly Morrison Run) July 31 - Aug 1.
    We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect. - Aldo Leopold

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlespaul View Post
    i'm free the 28-31 of july....i was going to head out for an overnight one of those nights....

come the fall i'm sure we will have more get togethers ..the summer is hard to get togethers everyoe has family suff or vacation

i know i have alot going on this month as well..
    Thanks for the input!! I don't have any time off at the end of July.
    August perhaps. I won't know my days off in August till the last week of July.
    I work at a Basketball / Rock/ country show etc. arena, ( The Penn State Bryce Jordan Center) and my schedule varies around our events, sports camps, banquets, etc.. I get 40-50 hours a week at the grindstone, but my days off vary every week depending on that weeks schedule of events.
    I will get back to you guys via this forum as soon as I know my July schedule.
    In the mean time, I am still open for July 11-14 and July 16-18th !!!

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I might set up a PA Hang this fall or winter ....depends on how my summer goes .....

but i was thinking of doing one on the AT ...maybe at a shelter off the road a bit..like the 183 shelter ...it has a big parking area as well..or maybe another one...i would have to look and see and talk it over with a few ppl
    i don't like to use shelters near the road...too much noise and too many locals using them for party spots....and the hike in ,in the fall will be really nice ...with the trees turning colors

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I could get away for a hang... but I can't hike much at all. Anything more than 1 mile would be beyond me right now. If that will float your boat let me know and we'll put something together.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I could get away for a hang... but I can't hike much at all. Anything more than 1 mile would be beyond me right now. If that will float your boat let me know and we'll put something together.
    Ramblinrev:

I'll keep ya in mind, I'll let ya know !!!
    PS;
    I Enjoy your Vids!!

John Denver--1943-1997

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    The only bad thing about the AT shelters are they don't like car camping .....
    and from what i'm told for a non thru-hiker to camp or use a shelter near a road in PA they need to hike at least so many miles in one direction(i think they said 15-25 can't remember) ..this is what i'm told from the club that takes care of the trail in my area...
    they also told me if you hiked in a few miles they won't get all bent out of shape about it but they don't care for car camping (and i was told they can fine you)

for 20+ ppl to show up and take over a shelter near a road would look really bad ....and i think it would make HF look bad as well

with my nerve/back problems i would love to have something close to a road...

this is one reason it would need to be a shelter thats off the road
    out of respect for the AT club and other hikers that use the shelters

only other thing i can think of is a park......

but i really would like to do one on the AT...walking the trail in the fall is so nice...and all the colors make it worth the hike

like i said nothing is set in stone ...and it might not even happen..it's just something i was thinking about ...

but alot of things need to fall into place befor it happens ....

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    "Officially" the shelters are for thru hikers. But in actuality there is no real way they can enforce that. The clubs have no police powers in PA so the clubs can't fine you. The rangers might be able to but only if the directives have legal force. It is really more a case of trail etiquette than anything else.

If memory serves the PA section has 4 maintaining clubs. One of those has delusions of grandeur or so I understand. The rest are pretty cool if I understand correctly. Most of the hangers that I have met hang away from the shelters anyway so as far as a group hang I don't think that would be an issue.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast