Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Mustardman,

Is that a Trangia with a Clikstand I see between you and your wife?
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Suspension
    Strap & line
    I used my Super Fly last weekend using the one common tree with two hammocks strung up head to foot. I tied one end of the tarp to the common tree and then one end to a tree in between the two trees that we had the other end of our hammocks tied to. it was a little tight for space, but it still gave us coverage with a little room to spare on the edges. You just need to be sure that the "two tree end" is quite close together (3ish feet between tree centers worked out well) or the end of your hammocks will not have tarp coverage.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    Mustardman,

Is that a Trangia with a Clikstand I see between you and your wife?
    Good eye - it is indeed. I recently placed orders for a few more stoves, so there will be some variety in the center of those hammocks soon

Quote Originally Posted by fixt View Post
    I tied one end of the tarp to the common tree and then one end to a tree in between the two trees that we had the other end of our hammocks tied to.

Another good trick is to run lines to each of the two trees, and tie them off to the ring on one side of your tarp. I use a slipped buntline hitch. Then, the far end of the tarp can be tightened to the single tree with a figure 9, trucker's hitch, etc.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    3-season Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    stock BB webbing
    very cool stuff yall! I really like that setup mustardman, that location is absolutely gorgeous! I think I might splurge for the 12x12, just to allow ourselves a little more flexibility on site selection. We are going to be hiking the Renn Steig in Thuringia, Germany, for a week and a half. I can't wait and i know the girlfriend is pumped. Originally we considered the clark Vertex, but i really like the versatility of having two blackbirds for when we arnt camping together etc. Also the BB is soo comfortable

have any of you guys tried these two person set ups in really serious storms? since well be on the trail for two weeks and i don't know what weather were gonna get, im hoping that this set up will keep us dry, otherwise we'd need to go single tarp route for safety

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    The one linked in my description of the 12x10 tarp was used in a serious downpour, where it rained for basically two days straight. We had a 3 inch deep river of runoff running directly below our hammocks, and stayed completely dry.

That was one of those instances where I used the guylines to pull the hammocks closer together when it really started pouring.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Several times I have put 2 hammocks under cover together, & on one occasion 3 hammocks. But we were using two tarps overlapped at the top ridge.

One thing I have noticed right off is that it leaves the ends open in a big way. If I were going to plan on that (using one tarp or two) I would take something to cover the ends if needed. If you have rain & any breeze at all, your hammocks may get rained on, depending on the overlap. But attaching something to serve as a door/end cover is not hard.
    I haven't made anything yet but I've thought about making 4 large triangles of fabric (or just plastic). If you rigged a way to quickly attach them to the ridge line (top), the lower tarp corners, & the ground or tree, you could cover the ends fairly easy if you needed to.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    3-season Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    stock BB webbing
    could you do this with grip clips? Say hang your tarp as pictured above, then have say two smaller tarps that you be grip clipped to the main tarp and provide more coverage at the ends... sort of like modified larger gris beaks or doors.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    We hang side by side every time my we go out together. We use a 12x10 OES winter tarp. In my experience, a longer tarp is required if the edges at cat cut, because when your hanging two hammocks under a tarp, neither of you is directly under the ridgeline of the tarp and so the tarp way be shorter in the place your hammock comes out from under it. The superfly is a great tarp, but I'd personally go with a 12' length. I think the superfly is about an 11'. Like I said 12x10, is my pick for two.

As far as hanging the hammocks goes, we've always hung our feet to one tree and used 2 separate trees at the head end, with zippers facing inside. Facing the zippers in gives you the most head room while entering, and makes it easier to pass things back and forth or help one another get quilts, etc. situated. With the blackbird, however, you must lay a certain direction ( unless Brandon makes a "lefty model" that would be ideal.) So you will have to hang head to foot to keep the entrances to the inside.

One trick I've found helpful is to hang one hammock a little lower than the other. This may happen naturally if one on you is significantly heavier than the other. This helps to keep you from swinging into each other if you hang right next to one another.
    ~Bryan

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by geneticflea View Post
    could you do this with grip clips? Say hang your tarp as pictured above, then have say two smaller tarps that you be grip clipped to the main tarp and provide more coverage at the ends... sort of like modified larger gris beaks or doors.
    Absolutely. There are lots of ways to accomplish this end cover, & I'd say you don't need to carry as much two smaller tarps, but just extra plastic.
    If you have a place to set up the tarp(s) & experiment, you could hang the plastic using the grip clips, cut away the excess, & leave the grip clips in place so when you want to cover the ends it's a quick fix.
    Remember, unless you are creating a winter shelter & want to cut all wind from entering your space, it can have gaps & still keep you dry. Matter of fact, ventilation can be a good thing.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I normally hang with Joker under the same tarp, but on the last trip (Buffalo Peaks over the 4th) he said he'll hang on his own next time so mom and me can hang together. Either way...looks like a lot of my trips will have two under one tarp.

I always bring a second tarp just in case we need to hang separately at a particular site. Also, the extra tarp goes in his pack in case we get separated. He always has at least the minimum for safety when we hike. I've used that tarp before to seal up the ends...a few pics of it in the Rampart Range trip report.

I've been thru some serious rain and pretty good snow with us both under there, and never really been uncomfortable about it that I can remember. At Jones Gap, it was raining so hard that the water was splashing up from the ground onto my UQ a bit, but I didn't get up to adjust anything. I was using the MacCat Standard that time.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast