Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    3-season Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    stock BB webbing

tarp for two hammocks

Hello everyone. this upcoming year, im going to be hiking with my girlfriend for a couple weeks. The temps are looking to be in the mid 30 F at the very lowest and more like mid 40s most nights. W'ere going to go with two Warbonnet BB's, ive already got mine, shell be getting one shortly. As for the best way to hang, i've come to the conclusion that the best solution to stay close for talking, evenings, etc will be to hang the hammock heads off of one tree and foot ends on separate trees.

this comes to my next question: I just got my superfly delivered and havent had a second to set it up yet. Will that be enough to cover both hammocks in this configuration? I've heard mention a guide gear and an equinox 10x12 tarp talked about. would that be enough? I also saw that equinox makes a 12 x 19 nylon tarp, which would be enough, but its also heavy as all get out, so i'd rather not go that far.

would it make more sense to get two smaller tarps and use grip clips or something to hold them together?
    any help would be appreciated!

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    My wife and I hang side-by-side under a GG 12x12 pitched on the square. I think that you're going to want to try that "two heads together" approach before you go. I'm thinking that doing it the other way around would work better for you. Because our bodies taper from the shoulders to the feet, you might be hard pressed to get the feet far enough away from each other while not squeezing each other's inside shoulder AND staying under even a large tarp.

My .02
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    My wife and I hang side-by-side under a GG 12x12 pitched on the square. I think that you're going to want to try that "two heads together" approach before you go. I'm thinking that doing it the other way around would work better for you. Because our bodies taper from the shoulders to the feet, you might be hard pressed to get the feet far enough away from each other while not squeezing each other's inside shoulder AND staying under even a large tarp.

My .02
    This is an interesting concept that my wife and I are considering trying Heads opposite sounds good

Hammock
    HH Explorer ASYM
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Suspension
    WS, huggers, toggs
    I've done the hanging two under one tarp thing and it's definitely better, IMO, to hang the feet off one tree and the heads off separate trees. Anywho, Just Jeff has some good insight on his website here: http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCam....html#Advanced
    ~We all start at the bottom~

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushman of yukon View Post
    This is an interesting concept that my wife and I are considering trying Heads opposite sounds good
    NOOOOOO!!!!!
    Re-think the opposite thing ... trust me on this ... having been married over 32 years to "the blonde" ... you don't want to do this.

TRUE STORY ... placing two of my hammocks side by side ... face to face this spring with the blonde in the back yard ... first thing that happened was her left leg came over onto my belly and the words all husbands try to run from happened!!!!

"RUB MY FEET"

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    first thing that happened was her left leg came over onto my belly and the words all husbands try to run from happened!!!!

"RUB MY FEET"
    No doubt! What is wrong with their feet anyway that they need to be rubbed whenever?

Seriously, my girl and I hang together all the time and we've put every configuration through its paces; not all were happy endings. Do a practice set-up (or 6) in the yard/park before you go. Remember, the Blackbirds pretty much force you to lay in a certain position and if you get it wrong, somebody gets kicked about the head and face; not that I would know anything about that.

Good thing about the Blackbirds is that it will be very difficult for her to throw her feet through the two webbing canopies so that you can rub them. Brandon is a genius in ways we haven't even begun to realize yet.
    Trust nobody!

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    No doubt! What is wrong with their feet anyway that they need to be rubbed whenever? ...
    Estrogen

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    When I set up the honeymoon suite I use a 12X12 Kelty Noah's tarp. sometimes I'll hang it A-Frame and other times diamond style. There is enough extra material to close off the ends in colder weather and for now it does what I need.

We always put our head ends together and feet apart, in fact when I had my HHs modified by 2QZQ we had one with a right zip and the other lefte so we could open to each other. She is now in a WBBB and I am too sometimes so one zips to the inside of out set up and the other to the outside, yet even so, we prefer the heads together.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    MrsMustardman and I do heads opposite too - since we have two standard Blackbirds, doing heads opposite lets us put the zippers facing inwards. We leave enough space between the two hammocks that we can both lounge in them and have space to cook between us. If the weather gets really nasty, I use a piece of tarp guyline to pull the wider end of the hammocks closer together to get better tarp coverage.

For tarp choice, I've used the Big Mambajamba, which was the older version of the superfly without doors, and it is not really enough coverage for two hammocks in a blowing rain. If you have an older superfly with the permanently attached doors, you might be able to make it work, but if it's the newer superfly with removable doors, I think it would be too fiddly to work with two hammocks easily.

I use an OES 12x10, which has been cut in the same general pattern as a Speer Winter Tarp. I have also added a number of extra tieouts to it, to allow a variety of clever pitches. More details about my tarp are in this thread:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ight=oes+12x10

Here's a typical two-hammock hang from two weekends ago in the Buffalo Peaks Wilderness:

And here's the reason why we like to have the openings of the Blackbirds face inward:

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    And here's the reason why we like to have the openings of the Blackbirds face inward:
    Nice setup
    Show of Life Media Youtube Channel

The Carolinas Backpackpacker Chronicles

I'm drawn to the open country. Its where the world makes the most sense. When I put myself out there I always return with something new.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast