Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post

7. There was shoulder squeeze - maybe the first time in a hammock that I've ever felt squeezed. Not terrible, but I did notice it. For bigger, wider guys I imagine it would be unbearable. If there was a way to widen by another 4 or 5 inches or even 2 or 3, the darn thing would be incredible. As it was, it was comfortable enough for me. A variable width bridge, hmmmmm. Grizz, does your DIY have removable end panels? I don't remember.
    FishinFinn, what size are you?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skskinner View Post
    Thanks for that link. The zipper is a good idea - I'm not a fan of velcro or omni tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    Those hammocks can provide a straight spline but the width has a curve to it. Calling them flat, like I have sometimes seen, is misleading.

Think of the cross section of a can laying on its side. That is more like what you have than something that is flat, like a book laying on its side. A cross section of the width is on a radius of a curve. You have a curve you are laying on and if you are wide enough you can get squeeze to go along with it because you are trying to extend the radius of the curve.

When you sleep in the coffin position, with your arms crossed, you roll your shoulders. When you do that you are creating a curve along your back and shoulders-- you aren't trying to lay flat. If you are comfy laying like that and your radius of curvature fits comfortably within the constraints of the design, you will be fine, as far as shoulder squeeze is concerned.

If you look at these sketches in this early patent, it will be easier to visualize http://www.google.com/patents?id=GnZ..._pages&cad=0_1
    Excellent info as always, Dave. I was looking at the shape of the panels while I was laying in the hammock, and noticed the curve. I also noted that the head and foot ends are "lower" than the middle, ie there is a sort of "pocket" near the head and foot. Either that, or the middle is just higher than the ends.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    The speader bars on the BMBH are 30" wide. I routinely use 36" wide with hammock width maximized at 52", and size my ends accordingly. One of my earlier versions had endcaps sized to go to 40" wide, but I rarely spread it that far and I ended up putting velco tabs on to take up slack.

Shoulder squeeze? What's that?

Sorry I can't help with the rest of the questions.

Grizz
    Lucky Bastage! When you're tired of your newest bridge, you can send it my way. I may become the next bridge convert, as much as I initially like this BMB. But now I really need to get a decent UQ to fit the bridge. More gear. This has the makings of insanity or divorce, this constant need for gear! I guess that's why everyone DIY's. Too expensive otherwise.

I guess when I say shoulder squeeze, I meant my shoulders felt squeezed. I know the fabric creates a kind of 1/2 barrel around you, so it has a different feel to it. But I felt inward force from the outside walls of the hammock, which to me would be "squeeze." I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I don't mind it, but I could see how it would bother others. I have never had any kind of squeeze in any of my other commercial hammocks. The other hammock that does have squeeze is my DIY, which is due to my trials in folding and whipping. But I like the lay, so I live with the squeeze.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    FishinFinn, what size are you?
    I'm 5'9", 200. Built like a retired swimmer, or a landscaper who move rocks and digs ditches (as a hobby.) Don't look overweight, but I feel like it. Between Neo now and Neo then, according to pics I've seen, but closer to Neo now. And better looking than Neo . And with better taste (did you see his "girlfriend"?)

Just jokin', Neo.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    I also noted that the head and foot ends are "lower" than the middle, ie there is a sort of "pocket" near the head and foot. Either that, or the middle is just higher than the ends.
    TeeDee dubbed this the "inverted bananna". Happens when the ends are pulled too tightly. I read somewhere instructions by Pan on the correct tensioning for the BMBH. If I remember correctly, it involved putting the bugnet on, then tensioning up the ends until the bugnet down the middle was flat.

The surer way is to plunk in a ridgeline, tied between the rings, find your sweet spot, and leave it be.

Something I've noticed...a couple of DIY versions ago I went from a suspension cut of 12" deep (and I think the BMBH has one about this deep) to a suspension cut of 6" deep. I did it to lower the height of the ends of the hammock, but a positive side effect has been that I can't get the inverted bananna, not at least as I'd notice. The inverted bananna happens because the center is pulled up too high by the tension, but only a deeper cut allows there to be so much of a difference between the ends and the center that this happens and you can tell (since the center also gets the most weight and so when loaded sinks farther.

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    TeeDee dubbed this the "inverted bananna". Happens when the ends are pulled too tightly. I read somewhere instructions by Pan on the correct tensioning for the BMBH. If I remember correctly, it involved putting the bugnet on, then tensioning up the ends until the bugnet down the middle was flat.

The surer way is to plunk in a ridgeline, tied between the rings, find your sweet spot, and leave it be.

Something I've noticed...a couple of DIY versions ago I went from a suspension cut of 12" deep (and I think the BMBH has one about this deep) to a suspension cut of 6" deep. I did it to lower the height of the ends of the hammock, but a positive side effect has been that I can't get the inverted bananna, not at least as I'd notice. The inverted bananna happens because the center is pulled up too high by the tension, but only a deeper cut allows there to be so much of a difference between the ends and the center that this happens and you can tell (since the center also gets the most weight and so when loaded sinks farther.

Grizz
    And I had to tension it extremely tight to avoid my butt hitting the ground due to stretch. Or tie it 15 feet up on the tree! Exaggeration. I like the inverted banana - it's comfortable! But I will be adding a ridgeline.

Seriously, if anyone has the direction on the BMB, scan them and email me. I'd like to see how the Jacks suggest to set this hammock up.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Calling them flat is anything but misleading.....I get in my JRB bridge....it feels flat.
    Regardless of geometry, physics, what have you.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    mine was shipped today. If I can scan those directions I will.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Instructions sent to FF.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 06-23-2008 at 16:41.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    to save weight over the stock (listed as 4oz) netting- which read 6.3 oz on my digital scale I spent an hour making a new smaller bug net. This is just a torso sized net that drapes over the waist area. I thought that since Im in a quilt, no need for the whole length stock netting. (plus Im a nerdy ounce counter)
    anyway, it came out to 1.6 oz after finish product. When laying in the Bridge, the netting of course pulls away from your face, as the hammock sags. I added a small loop to the MacCat tarp with a mitten hook for easy removal.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by te-wa; 07-07-2008 at 21:00.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinfhaz View Post
    to save weight over the stock (listed as 4oz) netting- which read 6.3 oz on my digital scale I spent an hour making a new smaller bug net. This is just a torso sized net that drapes over the waist area. I thought that since Im in a quilt, no need for the whole length stock netting. (plus I count every ounce)
    anyway, it came out to 1.6 oz after finish product. When laying in the Bridge, the netting of course pulls away from your face, as the hammock sags. I added a small loop to the MacCat tarp with a mitten hook for easy removal.
    I've seen this style of net advertised for the bivy-camping set, and had the stray thought of wondering how that would go in a hammock. Looks to me like you've got it. Thanks for completing the thought

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast