Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Images
    I've tried the hammock with a Ridgerest and BA Insulated Air Core Rectangular - both 20" x 72". Haven't tried it without a pad yet. While I'm at the upper end of the weight limit, in men's sizes I wear a Large shirt (a little big on the shoulders) and an XLarge pant (lotta junk in the trunk ). I didn't have any trouble with squeeze at all - it was a bit narrow at the hips when I turned over on my side. Once turned, I was able to bring the upper leg up from hip to knee at about a 30 - 40* angle which is my normal sleeping position.

As for side insulation - I would likely add some SPE to the edge of my underquilt so they would be on the outside if I found I needed them and use the BlackBishop skin that is like a bag to store both the underquilt w/ SPE and hammock. I do not normally sleep out in really cold temps because getting cold makes my bad leg ache. I will be doing some of this close to home to test this hammock, however. I'm waiting until I get over whatever nasty virus or infection I've had to do this - I started my third round of antibiotics today and am already feeling better.

I'll see if I can get He-Dino to crawl in the hammock and see if he gets squeezed - He's 6' and about 200lbs.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Good question, sorry for the confusion. FF and FD might chime in with more detail, as I am working from memory now, as I no longer have mine.

I think the hammock is, in effect once I laid in it, quite shallow in the center. It's just quite different in so many ways, good or bad, than any other hammock I have used.

Look in this picture how much higher each end is than the center:
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_fi...0Bug%20Net.jpg

The net is attached to the ends, and it is the tension from the ends that elevates the net to the same height as the ends. In fact, that is one way you are supposed to judge correct tension: tighten the straps until the net is tight on top, then loosen just slightly.

Now, look at this picture of Jack (?) lying in the hammock.
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_fi...r%20Pocket.jpg

Notice how much higher the hammock is behind his head than near his elbows. It is that high part that determines the net height, although the sides of the net hang down and omnitape to the hammock sides. But that side attachment is 2 feet lower than the top which is over your face. Did I manage to clear that up? It's sort of hard to put in words, but the pics should do it.

Now, in this pic Jack looks like he has plenty of shoulder and elbow room, and he looks like he is down in there pretty good. I'm wondering also if he has a pad in there, widening the bottom? Still, his elbows are pretty close to the top edge, I'm wondering if more so on the left, which is out of the picture?

Now whether because I'm wider, thicker, heavier(aka fatter) or whatever reason, if you were looking at a picture of me in there, my shoulders would be just touching the side of the hammock, and my elbows (with my hands/arms drapped over my belly as in these pics) would be laying just barely out side of, and on top of, that lower close to center (length wise) edge/side of the hammock. If I put my elbows by my side or inside that edge, they would be tightly squeezed.

I guess I should have had my wife take a picture. Let me say again that I had significantly more room with the pad in the pocket. But tmy elbows would still just touch the edge and were still higher ( barely ) than the edge. Looking at the pics you would think I'd have to be HUGE for that to be the case. I ain't no where near skinny, but I don't think I'm huge. I don't think I'm as big as most 225 pounders ( upper hammock limit?) I know. Again, 6'1", 204 lbs. 49" around the shoulders, 53" around elbows. Size 45 jacket. Large jackets are usually just a little tight on me, extra large is usually just a little big on me, with plenty of room for layering. At the moment I'm wearing an extra large mens shirt, and it's not at all tight, plenty roomy, almost baggy. I think any guy who wears a large or medium would be fine in this hammock.

If I had the room that jack appears to have, I would have kept the hammock. Although I'm still wondering, even if I was 190 instead of 204, if I could have drawn my knees up ( semi-fetal position) when on my side, since my hip to knee length would not change.

AngrySparrow, what size are you, if you don't mind me asking?
    I imagined after posting that the netting would run level from highest point to highest point. What I hadn't imagined though was that the cut on the side would be so deep that your elbows could start to leak out!

My current version is a bit lower at the head than the BMBH, and higher at the middle.

Maybe I'll see one of these at the Mt. Rodgers winter hang. Hope the Jacks don't mind if I'm all over that thing with a tape measure!

Thanks for clearing this up

Grizz

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I imagined after posting that the netting would run level from highest point to highest point. What I hadn't imagined though was that the cut on the side would be so deep that your elbows could start to leak out!

My current version is a bit lower at the head than the BMBH, and higher at the middle.

Maybe I'll see one of these at the Mt. Rodgers winter hang. Hope the Jacks don't mind if I'm all over that thing with a tape measure!

Thanks for clearing this up

Grizz
    Grizz,

I'm sure there will be more than one tape measure At Mt Rogers.... Can't for the life of me figure why the tapes were not out last TD or at the MAHHA...

Looking forward to the winter hang.... Glad that you are planning to make it.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey Pan, you guy hooked me up with a Katahdin last year, before they even started shipping, and I can't thank you enough. It's a great quilt for a big guy like me. It could be a bit wider for me, I can't use it in sleeping bag mode but it is perfect as a quilt. I've been sleeping with it every night since, it's awesome on the bed. i only have a bottom sheet on the mattress and I wrap up in the quilt. Maybe stuff like this is why I am still single?

Anyway, do you guys have any plans of bringing a hammock to market for us big boys? I'm ready to try venturing up into the trees and will probably go with an Eno until you guys have a big boys hammock. I'd really like to give you guys more of my money.

Thanks again.

- JT

Any word on a bigger/wider version of the BMBH?

Thanks!

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ken999 View Post
    Any word on a bigger/wider version of the BMBH?

Thanks!
    Last I heard they are gonna come out with one later in the year.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Sweet.

I think from some of the intital reports I'd be a bit better served by the wider version.

I might be interested in a wider version. The one I bought has only been set up in the backyard but even I do get that shoulder squeeze. It bothers me enough that I haven't yet taken it into the field.......

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mixinmaster View Post
    I might be interested in a wider version. The one I bought has only been set up in the backyard but even I do get that shoulder squeeze. It bothers me enough that I haven't yet taken it into the field.......
    that phrase set me off. Sorry.

set to a slow 12 bar blues tune.
    Think Bob Dylan's "Meet Me in the Morning"

Got the package in the mail
    I could not wait to see
    I got the package the mail
    I could not wait to see
    what's in the UPS box
    a hammock just for me!

It was hard to wait til evening
    when I could try a hang
    Oh it was hard to wait til evening
    when I could try a hang
    But evening finally came 'round
    I hung it and said dang!

You see the hammock's kinda narrow
    'bout a foot below my head
    Oh yeah my hammock's kinda narrow
    about a foot below my head
    No I can't imagine sleeping
    Will have to go inside to bed

The moral of the story
    Now hear the reason why
    Yes there's the moral of the story
    Now hear the reason why
    You want a comfy hammock
    You'll just have to DIY

I've got those bridge hammock shoulder squeeze blues, oh yeah
    I've got those bridge hammock shoulder squeeze blues

Grizz

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    that phrase set me off. Sorry.

set to a slow 12 bar blues tune.
    Think Bob Dylan's "Meet Me in the Morning"

Got the package in the mail
    I could not wait to see
    I got the package the mail
    I could not wait to see
    what's in the UPS box
    a hammock just for me!

It was hard to wait til evening
    when I could try a hang
    Oh it was hard to wait til evening
    when I could try a hang
    But evening finally came 'round
    I hung it and said dang!

You see the hammock's kinda narrow
    'bout a foot below my head
    Oh yeah my hammock's kinda narrow
    about a foot below my head
    No I can't imagine sleeping
    Will have to go inside to bed

The moral of the story
    Now hear the reason why
    Yes there's the moral of the story
    Now hear the reason why
    You want a comfy hammock
    You'll just have to DIY

I've got those bridge hammock shoulder squeeze blues, oh yeah
    I've got those bridge hammock shoulder squeeze blues

Grizz

How long have you been waiting for a chance to use this one?
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast