Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    bigbamaguy - with thick-barked trees there's probably not a problem...but imagine thin spectra (which is pretty hard and doesn't flatten out to distribute the force) wrapped around an Aspen. The pressure on a hammock would likely (IMO) cause damage to the part that was under force...probably 1/2 to 3/4 of its circumference. That's enough reason to use straps, IMO.

I think that as long as SOMETHING is distributing the force from the cord, it can serve the purpose. Youngblood often uses (or used to use) hollow rope that flattens out to distribute the force. That may work just as well as webbing. Other folks seeing it may not make the connection, so perceptions are still important, though.

I think the tarps are different. I don't put anywhere near the force on my tarp that I do on an occupied hammock. But if there's enough force that you're risking damaging the tree, then surely something should be used to protect it. Straps would work.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Let's not let this get away. Youngblood is making a good point, here.

I have one tarp that hangs on tree straps, and plan to change the others over.
    Dave,

Say more about this. How are you connecting the tarp to the webbing? I have considered such because I don't like rope around trees at all.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    DIY (&c.)
    I trust Acer's judgement regarding tree damage.

As well as protecting trees from the suspension line, tree slings also protect the suspension line from trees (i.e., sap, algae, abrasion, &c.). They can also make suspension line adjustment easier.

Hammock
    WB Traveller Dbl 1.7
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Let's not let this get away. Youngblood is making a good point, here.

I have one tarp that hangs on tree straps, and plan to change the others over.
    I wouldn't think a tarp would exert anything NEAR the pressure that a hammock rigged on cordage would.
    Mike

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    Based on all the quality info here at HF, I use webbing FOR hammock and not for tarp.

I am contemplating the use of webbing for tarp also...still pondering the realities.
    Tom

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Sorry Jeff, I could not see the forest for the trees!!!!!!!! I miss read one of the posts and made my post. I agree that a thin Spectra or other form of small cord will damage the trees. I always stress that straps should be used and if they are not used then there should be a "twig spacer" placed around the trunk to spread the load of the suspension out over a greater surface area.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
    I wouldn't think a tarp would exert anything NEAR the pressure that a hammock rigged on cordage would.
    I agree with that, Mike.

As has already been stated, there's no science on the topic of what will/will not damage trees, and even if there were, it wouldn't matter much, if at all...perception carries the day, every day. Choosing straps over cordage is all about spin control...has nothing to do with facts, whatever they may be.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I agree with that, Mike.

As has already been stated, there's no science on the topic of what will/will not damage trees, and even if there were, it wouldn't matter much, if at all...perception carries the day, every day. Choosing straps over cordage is all about spin control...has nothing to do with facts, whatever they may be.
    When was the last time you had a rational conversation with an irrational person? Perception does carry the day. Exactly why I would like to go to straps for the rainfly. Even if there were a remote chance of damage, I don't want to be party to it. And if Ranger Rick thinks it is so, it is what it is.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    Dave,

Say more about this. How are you connecting the tarp to the webbing? I have considered such because I don't like rope around trees at all.
    Version 1 is a strap/ring buckle suspension, using 1/2" webbing...I don't like it very much, for a variety of reasons.

V2 will employ 1" webbing and side release buckles...the webbing will go around the tree and fasten just like a belt. Then I'll use a mini 'biner on one end, and a Figure Nine 'biner on the other to secure the tarp's ridgeline.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    Straps it will be.
    Point made
    Tom

• + New Posts