A couple of years ago, I had about 5 months before I met my maker. The news was a shock, and Mark Twain was correct....I didn't regret all the stupid decisions that I made to mess up my life over the years, I regretted the things that I didn't do.
My doctor was new to the Lawton(home of Ft. Sill Army Post) area, and said that an operation would ease some pain and lengthen my stay on earth. He said Houston at MD Anderson, or if I would trust him, that he could perform the operation never done in this area before. I did, 12 hours, 9 doctors, a bunch of students, lost a kidney and some other stuff that I didn't need.
Went home to wait, and was bedfast for a month. Had a lot of time to think. My brother had sent me an Ipod, so I loaded it with songs of my youth, and got out of bed. I walked 2 houses down and was exhausted. Every day I that walked farther, I picked up a rock. My coffee table had quite a collection.
I have always loved nature but had no time or so I thought to enjoy it. Started lurking at White Blaze and read many books on the AT. I developed a dream, discovered Just Jeff, Sgt. Rock, and HF.
Quit chemo(it was making me sick), got out in the outdoors, bought trail runners, backpack, and hammock. Somehow, I beat the odds, am now healthy, no cancer in my body, and my doctor said that I had a greater chance of being injured falling out of my hammock than the cancer returning. I'll take those odds. June is my birthday month, so this post is to thank you all for taking me to Africa, the Blue Mtns of Australia, Linville Gorge, the UK, Germany, and Thialand to name a few.
I get exicited along with the new members when they post their first hang, I love the trip reports on Dad's taking their kids hammocking, I appreciate our non-English members taking the time to translate their post so they can join us. The incredible kindness and generosity here makes me proud to be a member. Thank you all for being such a positive part of my day. Anna