Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles

Independence day with the three dubyas.

Cara (Mrs. Canoebie) and I had a wonderful trip on the fourth. We drove up to north of Cadillac, Michigan arriving at Chippewa Landing, a livery we work with up there, great folks. If you ever want to paddle the Manistee, work with them. Regardless, we drove up Thursday afternoon arriving at the river about 6 PM.

After sharing greetings, we loaded our trusty craft with a cooler, clothes, shovel, hammocks, Gargoyle stove, books, lots of stuff to keep us busy and entertained if necessary. The weather forecast was for warmth and humidity. Oh, btw, the bugs were bad. First night late evening getting dive bombed on the river by deer flies is ugly.

faithful craft.jpg

This is the Old Town tripper, 17'2", with 2" rocker, 6" freeboard at 1200 lbs.
    ABS Royalex, weight approx. 72 lbs. Designed after the classic Prospector.

We camped at the bottom of a sand dune, a very pretty place to sit and watch the sunset, Set up our Claytors as dark drew nigh, built a fire, swatted some bugs and went to bed early. About 10 years ago we had a large male black bear come into our camp about midnight at this site. Had no idea we were there. I remember holding my mini mag light on him and thinking how big he was. A few bangs on a metal pan with a large spoon, he sounded like a bulldozer going through the woods, disappearing into the woods as noisily as he had arrived. So, I slept lightly that night.

The next morning we had a breakfast of bagels, steel cut oats, coffee, and yogurt. Great way to start the day. As we ate, we were serenaded by lots of coyotes. Funny how we are close to Hwy. 131 but we are in some of the wildest areas of Michigan. We got on the water early. It felt like it was going to get hot. Prior to departure I bathed in the river, (no soap) and because the last two nights had temps. in the 40's the water was very invigorating. The warmest the river ever got, even with ambient temps in the low 90's, was 64 degrees.

We had a great paddle from the Dune campsite to Twin Pines. A paddle of about 20 miles and takes about 5 hours to complete with a couple of breaks, some floating, some swimming, some eating, and all the stuff we do as we float down the river. Cara read to me part of the time as I paddled leisurely down the river.

I love to paddle solo, having complete control over the craft and getting into a rhythm of strokes and techniques that are so second nature you just realize you have covered a mile of river without thinking about how you were going to do it. I am so into the here and now, I just observe, float, and enjoy the sights, sounds, and smells of water, things in bloom, and yes, even the occasional fireworks reminding us of human presence.

michigan woods in july.jpg

This is a shot into the woods from Twin Pines campsite. The Bracken ferns were peaking. We wear them on our heads looking like little fairies to keep the flies off. A little lore from a local.

The five hour paddle was uneventful in many ways, and the hot sun and cool water were enjoyed putting us to camp about 1 PM.

evening approaches.jpg

After setting up our hammocks and getting situated a bit, we drank a couple of beers and retired to our hammocks for afternoon naps. Man, that is the best.

cara rdng.jpg

Having the time to read books, nap, walk, just sit and watch the river provided stress relief like none other. We went to bed before dark, and I had one of those perfect hangs. I think we can all relate to this, you get one that just works so well that the sleep is deep and the comfort like none other. Fortunately, we stayed two nights.

bbq in the woods.jpg

One of the real advantages of canoeing is the ability to haul weight. Thus had wings cooked over the open fire and then baked in our 10" Dutch Oven with lots of sauce until you can just suck the flesh off the bone into a sensation of sweet, sour and SPICEY!! They were so good. Camping in the same site two nights has its advantages.

gypsy moth damage.jpg

We saw a lot of damage from Gypsy moth caterpillars. The above tree is an oak that has been completely defoliated. We would see huge areas of defoliation and the actual caterpillars everywhere. There is a large black fly that lays eggs in them and is a natural predator. They were everywhere. Lots of dead worms, lots of damaged trees, and at every moment during the day, you had 5-15 flies on various parts of your body. And then there were the deer flies. Oh, btw, did I mention the bugs were bad.

side by side.jpg

This is our last campsite Sunday night. We affectionately call it Blueberry Hill. Here is why. Oh, btw, here is where "I found my drill."

blbry bsh.jpg

We had left Twin Pines early because storms were in the forecast including the possibility of heavy rain. Most storms occur in the afternoon hours so we departed early, paddled a wonderful two hour, 10 mile stretch, arriving at Blueberry Hill before noon. Morning sun on my back, face and legs felt so good that day. Anticipated highs were in the low 90's for the day and it got there quickly.

After getting things set up and watching some tubers go by, Cara and I went down to the river and just sat on a sand bar with about 18 inches of water going over it and pulled out rocks we found in the sand. We found beautiful quartz, petoskey stones, and lots of stuff. It was so fun to rock hound like a kid again.

It continued to get hot and windy. The rain forecasted never happened. We listened to the weather radio and there was a "high fire warning." We decided we would not have a campfire that evening and broke out Gargoyle's Nimball stove and cooked brats on the lid of the Dutch Oven. The fire was contained and much safer and fuel consumption minimal. I love the stove.

rstv brtwrst.jpg

That night was really warm. Low was 73 degrees. I took my water bottle to bed with me and let water run over me and cool the hammock below. I fell into a sweet sleep in spite of the heat.

We awakened to a cloudy morning and had coffee on Gargoyle's stove again trying to keep fire to a minimum.

rstv cff.jpg

We paddled out that day, an enjoyable three hour float and in this stretch of the river there are a lot of two track roads that come down to the river so we got to see lots of car campers. What a hoot to see the stuff people do on the holiday.

We got back to our car to discover a rear tire was flat. One of the liveries was kind enough to give us a compressed air tank and we made to it Manton and incredibly enough the local garage was open. They repaired our tire for $10 and we were on our way. The river gods were with us.

Five days with the three dubyas, woods, water and wife, made for a most enjoyable experience. Time to slow down my head and open my heart to my marriage, to my love of the woods and river, rejuvenating my soul in ways indescribable. Nature does repair, there I feel nothing will befall me. . . .
    Last edited by canoebie; 07-09-2010 at 08:49. Reason: grammar
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    thanks for the write up canoebie. An excellent use of the dutch oven lid and gargoyle stove.
    I have heard your confession I know who you blame
    If you had it all back you'd just lose it again
    Can't bank on redemption if you ain't saved
    Don't bring me your tales of temptation and loss
    Don't bring me the pieces of your shattered cross

-- Stuart Adamson

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Nice report. I'm always attracted to those camo diamond fly's. Having just started kayaking i'm learning how to loosen up a bit and take a few more luxury items etc. The water can cool off an otherwise hot day.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Looks like a nice trip was had!
    Love seeing the stove! Glad its working well.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    M-m-m-m-m- ....real food.
    Terrific report.
    Glad ya'll got out and had a right goodie!!!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    Hey Canoebie,
    all I can say is kewl dude.
    Sounds like you had a right goodie in the Piney woods. Thankee for the report and pics.
    You did good son, Emerson would be so glad, and I think J. Muir would have enjoyed himself also! I'm gonna remember to have my partner read to me as I float down the river next time, that's sounded like a very enjoyable thing to do.

BTW-Sure like that there canoe thingee...I mean "Magic Bus", or is it a "Silent Time Traveling Machine?
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Thanks for taking us along! That's a classic "Cowboy Coffee Pot"
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    Time to slow down my head and open my heart to my marriage, to my love of the woods and river, rejuvenating my soul in ways indescribable. Nature does repair, there I feel nothing will befall me. . . .
    finer words have never been placed in this forum!!
    I think I will take this advice myself this weekend!

Glad you have a great trip David!!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Nice report Canoebie, thanks for sharing. That river is on my "List".
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    I really enjoyed your TR, canoebie!

Paddling and hammocking is a combo I'd like to pursue in time. Just the thought of real coffee and food is quite a draw!!

Glad you had a good time (in spite of the bugs!)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast