Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Normally, stands made for hammocks with spreader bars aren't high enough for gathered end hammocks, but that's a big hammock and the pic makes it look like it just might work.

Based on the pic, it looks about the same size as the Vario, by the same company. I've hung my BB on the Vario before...but that's the closest experience I have to this stand.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest Regulus
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Really like the look of this stand with the bamboo laminate. Anyone ever give it a go? I would think it would have almost no flex compared to the Vario, which is reported to flex quite a bit.

~Dan

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    The key to this stand is the fittings, which could be made at a specified angle, so as to accommodate both the geometry and the material you prefer.

For instance, you could have these fittings fabricated to use 7' round aluminum poles at an angle so that their tops end up 13' apart, and square wooden feet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo

Vario Flex

would think it would have almost no flex compared to the Vario, which is reported to flex quite a bit.

~Dan

Dan--the flex of teh Vario is part of the mechanical function of the stand (see dedicated Vario stand thread if you want more explanation). German engineered, the flex is not from poor materials, it's intended to flex that way.

I agree with Just Jeff, the Vario takes my WBBB well, but that's as close as I've come to the bamboo stand.

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    I ordered a similar one in cypress wood (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product). I plan to fabricate an additional wood version that could easily be changed out to both lengthen and heighten the stand to accommodate my outdoor rig. I hope I won't have to strengthen the metal braces, but I may. If I do, I'll have my brother (the town blacksmith) make new ones at the same angles that are mo'beef-ee-er.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest Regulus
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    For instance, you could have these fittings fabricated to use 7' round aluminum poles at an angle so that their tops end up 13' apart, and square wooden feet.
    I would actually love to just get the fittings so I could use whatever materials I have at hand/would be best, but I wouldn't even know how to get something like that fabricated.

~Dan

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest Regulus
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkayaker1 View Post
    Dan--the flex of teh Vario is part of the mechanical function of the stand (see dedicated Vario stand thread if you want more explanation). German engineered, the flex is not from poor materials, it's intended to flex that way.
    Thanks for that! I read a good portion of that thread, but will take another look. My initial impression from what I did read was that most did not like the flex because they ended up butt on the floor or very close to it.

~Dan

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    Hi Dan. No the Vario keeps my butt way off the floow. sandykayak mentioned that her older Vario had a knob on the top of the rail that stuck her and she put a lifevest on it...but no, it'll keep you way off the floor. The flex is something a couple )e/g BillyBob) mentioned as hard to get a ridgeline taut with--but JustJeff and Stoikurt mention a remedy with weighted ridgeline that works absolute wonders...always just the proper tautness.

I considered the larger wooden ones, but balked at the price, weight, portablity and adjustablity as well as annual wood maintenance. But YMMV, and please do post photos if you get one. Interesting.

• + New Posts