I wonder what kind of material my Clark is made from??? Couple of weeks ago, I'm doing a week long stay at Boy Scout summer camp where we had the absolutly worst thunderstorm I've ever been in. Lighting strikes withen 50 to 100 feet of us!! It came up fast and I couldn't get to my hammock which was set up for hot/humid and not rain conditions. I did have my Clark tarp over it but it's high and spread out for as much venting as I could get. When I got back to my hammock late that night, I had a puddle of water inside my hammock!!! Wet pillow, wet silk sheet. I up ended the hammock to get the water out, turned over the pillow, used a dry bandana to dry the hammock. Layed down on top of the wet silk sheet and went to sleep. Sleap great!! Woke up dry. Oh, lesson here..... when leaving hammock, set it up for rain... just in case!!!
The only time my hammock is in a waterproof sack is when I'm packing it in my Kayak. Otherwise it's rolled into a pocket of the hammock. The pockets are nylon. (the hammock bottom is not)