Thread: shoulder pain?

Images

shoulder pain?

I've been hammock camping for about 8 years now. In the last year or so, my hammock has begun to really hurt my shoulder. I have loose tendons in my shoulders, and the pressure from my hammock wakes me up in the middle of the night with some significant shoulder pain. My hammock has been a mesh hammock with spreader bars. I recently made a couple of gathered end hammocks to try something different. My gathered end is 12 feet by about 65" wide and gathered "warbonnet style." I spent my first night in it the other weekend and had even worse shoulder pain. I have also made a bridge hammock that I haven't spent the night in yet, because just lying in it it feels like it pushes my shoulders even more. Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions or solutions? I would really hate to have to give up my hammock, but it's getting so I can't sleep through the night. How can I solve the shoulder pain issue? Help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I hate to say this, but...Advil.

Also, have you tried both diagonals?
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Images
    I have indeed tried both diagonals. It's definitely better if I can stay off of my right shoulder, but the left shoulder will give me trouble too.

You need to see a good ortho doc, sounds like rotator cuff issues to me. They are easy to fix if you catch it early.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The bridge I tried felt like it rolled my shoulders inwards, so it wasn't so comfortable to me. Maybe a wider one would be better, though.

My only real recommendation would be to make sure you had enough sag, but your pic shows that you do...so I don't have anything else to offer!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    A bridge hammock has a very unique and different feel to it. There has been a lot of discussion about "shoulder squeeze" in the bridge. For the most part it is not really shoulder squeeze but part of the unique feel. This is NOT to say your pain isn't real. In fact, if the bridge is that uncomfortable that quickly I would decidedly say "stay out of it" as it may just not be comfortable for you even if your shoulder didn't hurt. As far as the gathered end is concerned... I agree with JJ.. the sag factor looks good. The only thing I would suggest, if possible is give an even wider hammock a try. The Trek Lite Double and the ENO Doublenest are almost 8' wide. I made a DIY gathered end to those dimensions and it was absolutely comfy. It allowed even a flatter lie than my HH Explorer UL which is saying something in my book. You may still need to seek some medical assessment but if you have the chance to try out a double or make one according to those larger dimensions it might be worth a try.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Interesting. I now sleep in a hammock full time because it causes me less shoulder (and back) pain than a bed. Sorry it's not working for you. I use a gathered end.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Images
    Thanks for all the input. Sounds like I'll just have to live with it for a while. I may give the wider gathered end a try at some point. I also don't want to give up hope that I could sleep on my stomach in the bridge.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JDShearer View Post
    Thanks for all the input. Sounds like I'll just have to live with it for a while. I may give the wider gathered end a try at some point. I also don't want to give up hope that I could sleep on my stomach in the bridge.
    if this is happening laying on your side try pillows. if they work consider a blowup pillow in camp.

• + New Posts