Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tarptent and Bridge inspired Hammock

I got some photos of my DIY hammock. h4_profile.jpg Here is my bottom pattern.
    hammock4.jpg
    The top was constructed like a tarptent and mesh netting sides are about 12" at the shoulder tapering back to the foot.

I still need to install the zipper side door. It will actually be two zippers. A horizontal zipper will be installed at the base of bug netting running from shoulder to knee. And a vertical zipper will detach the head portion of the bug netting.
    h4_openside.jpg
    I have arranged the hiking poles like a cross bow. It maintains my fixed length ridgeline. But I was also kind of hoping it would help distribute the load of the horizontal spreader bar when the hammock is occupied. I am not convinced it is performing that function in the current arrangement. crossbow_poles.jpgI took the sensible advice of Grizz and slipped something inside the horizontal spreader bar/hiking pole to prevent compressive forces relying on the hiking pole's twit-tight mechanisms. Grizz said he used a wooden dowel. I used an old tent pole. Cut to 14" it weighs 1.1 ounce.

Jeff's Gear Hammock firs amazingly well as a vestibule. it would block driving winds and rain into the head end opening of the hammock, while simultaneously offering dry storage area. This enhancement requires the addition of one more mini-carabiner to hold two corners over the ridgeline.h4_headendview.jpg

Images
    very cool looking design, does it work well? how much does it weigh without the poles?

Weight

Thanks! It weighs 43 ounces :includes suspension, guy lines,hiking pole insert, and stakes (but not treehuggers). Wow! 2 lbs. 11 ounces, why so heavy?

One reason is, that it has a mesh sleeve for the pad underneath. But the BIG reason is that I used 4 ounce per yard Polyester microfiber with DWR for the hammock body. I really like the feel of it, it has a warmth and luxuriousness unlike ripstop. Since sleeping bag liners don't work well in a hammock environment, I have been sewing fabric in all of the hammocks that I've made which adds to the warmth and comfort underneath. If someone else were to make one, I'll bet they could shed 3 or 4 ounces if a standard 1.9 ripstop body were used instead.

Does my hammock work well you ask? So far, yes. Cat naps have been excellent, the hammock has definitely proved it's comfort and stability in short term testing. I really like the roomines and the (potential) view. I anticipate I may have some issues with keeping the tarptop properly tensioned, but I will fine tune that detail as it emerges.

Honestly, I don't know if the HP configuration that I currently use will prove to be the best, but getting a consistant hang from the fixed ridgeline is a very convenient advantage to having it this way.

I need to install the zipper door before I can tell you if that's working, but I will be taking the knowlege of my recent past mistakes, and appling the lessons learned. So I think it's going to work out.

I took the sensible advice of Grizz and slipped something inside the horizontal spreader bar/hiking pole to prevent compressive forces relying on the hiking pole's twit-tight mechanisms. Grizz said he used a wooden dowel.
    Sorry for the confusing typo. I meant "Twist-Tight" mechanism. Here is the link to the post describing this. It's post #568 near the bottom of the page.
    Last edited by dblhmmck; 10-02-2007 at 01:34. Reason: link didn't work

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    That is an amazing looking hammock. Wow just amazing.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

piles 'o ideas

what a lot of ideas are packed into this design. One can tell you're an artist.

I'm particularly appreciating the use of a pole vertically. You may see that idea borrowed someday (maybe even soon) on one of mine. Since I don't carry three poles that would mean tie-outs at the feet. But I can do that....

cool hammock.

Grizz

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    That's pretty awesome. It is the most unique hammock I have ever seen. Congrats.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The only thing I can think to say is: Neato!

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    stock JH tarp
    Insulation
    CCF and body fat
    Wow. How long did it take you to make it? Also, how long does it take to set up? It looks complex, any thoughts on ease of set up?

Sorry about all the questions, but that's one of the neatest things I've seen in a long time, so I (and I assume many people here) wanna hear all about it. Congrats on a job well done, BTW.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Very cool. I'd love to see some pics of it out in the wild.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast