Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images

Dragon opened, going up to the BMT for trail maintenance

Howdy folks. US 129 is finally re-opened. I haven't been up to my section since early March for trail maintenance, and I figure the brush has got to be up. So this coming weekend I'm planning on doing an overnight trip. Hike in on the morning of the 17th, doing trail maintenance on the way in. Camp on Slickrock Creek that night and enjoy some hammock camping, bourbon, cigars, and some good food (hopefully), and then hiking back out and finishing anything we couldn't get done the day before on the way out.

The location is on BMT section 19b. Trail head is right off US 129 below the dam: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...3&ie=UTF8&z=17

The camp site is shown here: http://bmta.org/sections/BMT-Map-Sec19a.jpg
    at the point marked "Slickrock Trail" on the map. The total hike mileage from trail head to campsite is ~2.6 miles.

Anyhow, anyone is invited to come hang out. No trail maintenance is required to participate. If you do want to come do some work, it should only be brush work and maybe some light blow down cutting - if you have some loppers bring 'em and you should probably wear some work gloves and expect to possibly see some poison ivy in places.

An additional note on that - the adjoining section from Farr Gap down to Slickrock Creek doesn't have a maintainer at all, so it is suffering from neglect. If we have time, energy, and motivation to do it, we may go up part way on that section to do some brush work as well. In March my oldest son and I cleared the first 2 miles of blow downs but didn't brush it out at that point. And if anyone is interested in adopting a few miles of trail, let me know - I think we could arrange that.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Howdy folks. US 129 is finally re-opened. I haven't been up to my section since early March for trail maintenance, and I figure the brush has got to be up. So this coming weekend I'm planning on doing an overnight trip. Hike in on the morning of the 17th, doing trail maintenance on the way in. Camp on Slickrock Creek that night and enjoy some hammock camping, bourbon, cigars, and some good food (hopefully), and then hiking back out and finishing anything we couldn't get done the day before on the way out.

The location is on BMT section 19b. Trail head is right off US 129 below the dam: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...3&ie=UTF8&z=17

The camp site is shown here: http://bmta.org/sections/BMT-Map-Sec19a.jpg
    at the point marked "Slickrock Trail" on the map. The total hike mileage from trail head to campsite is ~2.6 miles.

Anyhow, anyone is invited to come hang out. No trail maintenance is required to participate. If you do want to come do some work, it should only be brush work and maybe some light blow down cutting - if you have some loppers bring 'em and you should probably wear some work gloves and expect to possibly see some poison ivy in places.

An additional note on that - the adjoining section from Farr Gap down to Slickrock Creek doesn't have a maintainer at all, so it is suffering from neglect. If we have time, energy, and motivation to do it, we may go up part way on that section to do some brush work as well. In March my oldest son and I cleared the first 2 miles of blow downs but didn't brush it out at that point. And if anyone is interested in adopting a few miles of trail, let me know - I think we could arrange that.
    Our Citico group is planning on finishing via Stiff Knee. If the fish aren't biting, I might be able to throw in a couple of hours.

Would one of these work?

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Our Citico group is planning on finishing via Stiff Knee. If the fish aren't biting, I might be able to throw in a couple of hours.

Would one of these work?
    Looks like it could do something.
    NO SNIVELING!

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Looks like it could do something.
    It's one of the Woodsman's Pal series. The long side works as a machete or hatchet, and the hooked side is good for grabbing brush and vines. It weighs less than a pound. Since I'm already toting backpacking gear and fishing gear, I'm trying not to pack the plantation for the trip.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Sounds cool. My favorite all around tool is a Kuhkri knife, but it weighs more than a pound.
    NO SNIVELING!

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Sounds cool. My favorite all around tool is a Kuhkri knife, but it weighs more than a pound.
    This one tends to get more velocity than most knives since it is about 22" and about 14 ounces.

You'll understand if I skip the entrenching tool, axe and rake for this backpacking trip.
    Maybe we can talk about "adopting" Stiff Knee this weekend. I've always wanted a trail.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Walter, were you at the last SEHHA hang at Hot Springs?
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Walter, were you at the last SEHHA hang at Hot Springs?
    I did not get to stay over this year, but I did drop by for a visit.
    That's where I first heard of that section of the BMT needing someone.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Sgt Rock, it was Walter that I introduced to you... I knew he did not hang at Hot Springs, and I forgot that he dropped by.

Walter, Sgt Rock asked me who was the TN fellow interested in trail maintenance.

Glad you fellas found each other again!

- MacEntyre

P.S. Sure wish I could make it this weekend, but my family wants me here to celebrate my birthday... seems like they would have gotten tired of that, after all these years!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Sgt Rock, it was Walter that I introduced to you... I knew he did not hang at Hot Springs, and I forgot that he dropped by.

Walter, Sgt Rock asked me who was the TN fellow interested in trail maintenance.

Glad you fellas found each other again!

- MacEntyre

P.S. Sure wish I could make it this weekend, but my family wants me here to celebrate my birthday... seems like they would have gotten tired of that, after all these years!
    Well happy birthday in advance! This should be a pretty nice little hike and with any luck, we may have brownies for dinner (the ones with gills).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast