Should I jump into a bridge?

Hi all,

This last month was the first time I hung. The first trip was 2 nights and the second about a week later on a 3 day trip. I am currently in a Skeeter Beeter Pro due to being 6'3" and 220 lbs. The first night I slept in the SB I did not have enough space between trees and ended up in a C shape all night. Determined it had to be better than that the next night I made sure I found a spot with more span and got a flatter lay and was much better off. On the second trip I stayed in the same place and changed a few things each night (experimented). The flatter the hang the more comfortable I was in general but still felt pinned to the middle and was not able to get sideways very easily. I like to sleep on my side at home and just couldn't get lights out comfortable. Reading a few other posts several recommend a bridge style for those that like to lay on thier sides. In general does a bridge allow a flatter lay without the shoulder pinch I was getting when I sleeped on my back in the SB? Or is the SB just too big of a set up even for my size? Just felt like I was getting swallowed up inside it?? Any help??

Thanks in advance!!

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    I've got a bridge in the bedroom now (thanks to Professor Hammocks advice on how to use my hammock stand for it!) so I'm getting much more bridge time in lately.
    My predictions are that if you are comfortable in a gathered end hammock like a Warbonnet or a Hennessey and you move to a bridge you will be dissapointed-of course this won't be true for everyone but I bet so for the majority. But if you never liked the lay of the gathered end hammocks a bridge just might be for you IF you can get over the PERCIEVED shoulder squeeze. Percieved because it is relative and in some instances it is the same as in a gathered end though one might swear there is none when gathered.
    I became enamored with the bridge just given the challenge of getting one down to a sub pound unit which Prof Grizz has done so the decision cannot be weight base alone.
    It's def. something to try before you buy so-to-speak.

Hammock
    DIY Cuben
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    down,over & under
    Images
    a bridge is quite easy, and cheap to make, get generic rip 1.9+-,sew the arc edges and ends, figure out your spreader bars,(an old broomstick works well) hang 'er up! then you can try it out to see how you like it. If you like it then make your dream bridge with all the bells and whistles! gnome

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    If you do "jump into a bridge" ... video tape it for us ... that's going to be worth the watch!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide

I love my JRB BMB

I recently bought a Jack R Better's bridge hammock. I have made two trips with it for a total of four nights. It is a very flat hammock, so much so that I need a small pillow.

I was very apprehensive about the "issue" of shoulder squeeze but it hasn't been an issue for me AT ALL.

I do put a sleeping pad in the pad sleeve so that might be help [BA insulated aircore].

When I sleep on my side, I have noticed is that I can't pull up my knees as high as when in bed but, otherwise, it is extremely comfortable.

Good luck.
    Last edited by tjm; 07-13-2010 at 16:14.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jduck1 View Post
    ....... The flatter the hang the more comfortable I was in general but still felt pinned to the middle and was not able to get sideways very easily. I like to sleep on my side at home and just couldn't get lights out comfortable. Reading a few other posts several recommend a bridge style for those that like to lay on thier sides. In general does a bridge allow a flatter lay without the shoulder pinch I was getting when I sleeped on my back in the SB? Or is the SB just too big of a set up even for my size? Just felt like I was getting swallowed up inside it?? Any help??

Thanks in advance!!
    A bridge hammock(BH) is noticeably flatter than any gathered end(GE) I have used. In fact, I would have to say it is "perfectly" flat, apparently as flat as any bed. But whether it can "allow a flatter lay without the shoulder pinch" is a different question. Those really are two different issues.

The shoulder sensations are going to be different in a JRB BMBH than in many GE hammocks I have used. There is no extra shoulder room. My shoulders are forced into a slightly curved position, sort of like standing with bad posture. For me this is not necessarily uncomfortable , even though actual shoulder "squeeze" in a too tightly pitched GE hammock is very unpleasant. In fact, lying on my back , arms across chest/abdomen, with pillow, is arguably more comfortable overall than any other hammock. I would enjoy more shoulder room, but it is not a deal breaker for me all things considered. It is for some folks.

I have put a wide pad in the pad pocket, and found that the BMBH sides have no contact with my shoulders. But, that get's into pads and all of that discussion.

You can use(make) a BH that is wider in the shoulders than the BMBH, but the tarp/spreader bars is already a slight challenge with the width of the BMBH. It would be worse with a wider hammock.

I love to sleep on my back in a BH but just barely turned on my side, just enough that one shoulder is higher. This gives me more shoulder room.

You can sleep perfectly flat on on your side, but only go into very slight fetal position with the BMBH. A pad allowed me to pull my knees up quite a bit more.

For me, the greatest thing about a BH is ZERO calf pressure from the ridge that forms in the bottom center of a GE. A problem I often have when laying diagonal in most GE hammocks. This problem is non-existent with a BH.

You might check with the Jacks about what the return policy is, in case you wanted to try one out. Some folks prefer them, many others prefer a GE. I really like mine and use it a lot, but I still feel like using one of my GEs sometimes, for a variety of reasons.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End w DIY Bug Net
    Tarp
    DIY Black Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Question about shoulder squeeze -

Could this problem be remedied by a wider hammock? Or, generally speaking are you using the full width of your fabric at the ends as the cat cuts are minimal at that point?

First time DIY Bridger, folks

Thanks,

LB

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leroybrown View Post
    Question about shoulder squeeze -

Could this problem be remedied by a wider hammock? Or, generally speaking are you using the full width of your fabric at the ends as the cat cuts are minimal at that point?

First time DIY Bridger, folks

Thanks,

LB
    I think it can be helped with a wider hammock. But, that adds a different problem. Wider spreader bars contact the tarp even more than a stock JRB, which is already a bit of a problem that must be dealt with. It's not all that hard to solve the problem, but some extra steps are needed. But a wider hammock would increase the problem.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    In my experience there is a noticeable difference in hammock wall "presence" in my DIY bridge hammocks with 36" spread over 52" of fabric than with the BMBH 29" spread over about the same amount of fabric, at least when I'm on my back. There are tradeoffs everywhere. BB58 mentioned the impact on the tarp. Another is that the wider-flatter hammock has more tip to it. I've not fallen out or ever felt in danger of doing so, but it is also true that as I turn in the hammock I at the same time recenter, something that comes with experience I suppose.

The difference between 29" and 36" is not so noticeable when on my side.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    BB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    MacCat SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images

OH ... Into A Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    If you do "jump into a bridge" ... video tape it for us ... that's going to be worth the watch!
    I did a quick scan of the subject and thought it said "Jump Off a Bridge.

DON"T DO IT!!! You have SO much to live for.
    "Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny." - Yoda

Hungry Hammock Hanger Website

• + New Posts