WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ/Golite TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Dig a test hole before you buy your posts. The deeper you can set them, the better. Hope for 4' deep. My bedrock is only 2' down where I set one pole in concrete, and it needed substantial bracing. A deep hole is better.
    Kind what he said. If you use wood get it below frost line. Where I live its about 2 1/2 feet to be up to code for load bearing structures (decks etc) but we rarely get snow or really cold weather.
    If you angled the posts outward would that do anything to lessen the stress on them?

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ/Golite TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Webbing
    Oh and when you finish digging said holes your back is gonna need that hammock

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide

arbor style

I found this on-line as an example of what I am thinking of doing.

The one difference is that I want to use round posts similar to fencing posts.

I also want to get a "backyard" hammock to put there when I am not hanging my bridge.

Just noticed that the amount of sag on the hammock in this pic [NOTE TO SELF: double check distance between posts before pouring concrete]

Opie, notice the 45 deg braces...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tjm; 07-13-2010 at 10:22.

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide

Footing for post

I suggest you use the same footing details, with respect to depth and diameter concrete, as you would use for building a deck in your area.

There are significant loads involved and this is NOT the same thing as planting a post for mail box at the end of the driveway.

This footing detail may be overkill but would make for a **** fine hammock stand.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    I found this on-line as an example of what I am thinking of doing.

The one difference is that I want to use round posts similar to fencing posts.

I also want to get a "backyard" hammock to put there when I am not hanging my bridge.

Just noticed that the amount of sag on the hammock in this pic [NOTE TO SELF: double check distance between posts before pouring concrete]

Opie, notice the 45 deg braces...
    'Tis purty.

But on those nights when you want to go tarpless, and look at the sky, I would think that less is more.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY 1.1oz or WB Traveler
    Tarp
    HG Cuben / DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Nest UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    jalford, what is the spacing on your posts?
    I made it home for lunch and just measured the posts. The two frontmost posts (the ones farthest from the fence as seen in this post) are 17' apart. The distance between each of those posts and the one closest to the fence is 12'.

So, the triangle is 12' x 12' x 17'.

If I were to do it again, I would make the short sides a little longer so I would have some more options. In the pics in the post above, you'll also see that about 13" from the top of the posts (remember, they're buried 30"), I drilled through each one and put eye hooks to make hanging easier with just a carabiner. I also have some rope loops on each eye hook that allows me to hang shorter hammocks by just clipping them onto the rope loop.

This setup has worked very well for our family. As I said before, if anyone wants more info, let me know.

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    These replies have been incredibly helpful, and I thank you all for posting.
    The uprights need to be quite a bit deeper than I thought—looks like 3-4 feet. That sure seems like a lot, but I know there’s a lot of “pull”. I measured my space, and could easily do 17 foot spread on the uprights: this would be to span a kidney bean shaped patio I have out there already. Is 17 feet too far post-to-post?
    The pergola idea is a great one—don’t know if blocking the sky is good or no[t. It sure would be prettier when not in hammock that way. I gotta think about that one. Also, the idea about sleeves in the ground and pulling out at will to mow, replace the wood, etc., is an interesting and good one. Also, if I can find 6x6’s (hard to find, I think), the three post triangle is superb—one more post, can add two more hammocks! Great idea! Thanks for photos. And Opie did chime in, I gotta watch your videos again. Thanks

Loads to think about—keep ideas coming if anyone has more, and thank you.
    Last edited by coolkayaker1; 07-13-2010 at 22:27.

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo

Jalford...how tall are your posts from ground to top?

Is that what you'd do again, same height? Thanks for getting out the tape measure again.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkayaker1 View Post
    Is 17 feet too far post-to-post?
    The pergola idea is a great one—don’t know if blocking the sky is good or no[t.
    Just keep in mind that as distance increases the higher you have to hang your hammock supports to get the desired 30 degree angle. If you plan on doing a top rail to keep the posts from bending in, lumber comes in standard 2' increments with the most common (read easily available at local big box hardware stores) longest board length is 16'.

One last thing to note is that tree huggers don't work as well on square posts as they do on round trees with bark.

Have fun and post pictures when you're done.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    DIY 1.1oz or WB Traveler
    Tarp
    HG Cuben / DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Nest UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Is 17 feet too far post-to-post?...

Also, if I can find 6x6’s (hard to find, I think), the three post triangle is superb—one more post, can add two more hammocks!
    As mentioned by BrianWillan below, the farther apart you go, the higher you'll want to hang your straps. 17 feet hasn't been a problem at all for me. If you're nervous, you could always go with something like 15 feet to be safe. If I were to do it again, the main thing I would change is I wouldn't do 12 foot sections again. That just doesn't leave much room for larger hammocks / tarps.

As for finding 6x6's, I had no problem finding them at both Home Depot and Lowe's here. They had several lengths as well.

Is that what you'd do again, same height? Thanks for getting out the tape measure again.
    I'll have to get the tape again to say for sure exactly how much is sticking up. I haven't had a need for a support bar going across the top (yet?), so I'm happy with the height. I'm able to hang hammock and tarp from the posts without any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    One last thing to note is that tree huggers don't work as well on square posts as they do on round trees with bark.
    Great point! I've been using dutch clips on my tree huggers. If I put the dutch clip right in the corner of the post and pull tight, they seem to stay fine. If I don't give it a good tug, they have slipped about an inch or two before I could get into the hammock. Once in the hammock, I haven't had any problems. Just in case, I also added the eye hooks for easy attachment of the hammocks to the posts.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast