Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Screwdriver for every occassion

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Why do women (in general) have so many shoes?
    Why do men (in general) feel the need to have 642 screwdrivers?

Haha! We just had a garage sale and managed to get rid of about 12 EXTRA screwdrivers that we had around the house. We might be down to about 5 or 6 by now.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    To answer your original question. I have a BlackBird 1.1. double hammock for the following reasons.

1. Warbonnet guy lets you design your hammock (within reason). You can pick weight of fabric, single or double layer, pick color and type of suspension, and choose which side you want zipper and footbox on.

2. It's light enough for backpacking but has extra material so you can "spread out" inside the hammock.

3. It has zipper for easy top entry. Allows you to tie netting out of way for using hammock as a chair.

4. I like having attached bug netting.

5. It has a structural ridgeline (allowing for pretty much same hang each time)

6. And it has the totally awesome wing pocket that allows me to keep extra gear in hammock with me.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    I bought my first hammock, a Switchback, because:
    1- it's big and roomy- I am a car camper
    1.5- storage pockets and tabs at each end
    2- built in bug net with spreaders to alleviate that claustrophobic feeling
    2.5- bug net does not remove, but it does tie up well out of the way
    3- came with straps and rings for adjustments already installed-my suspension of choice from the beginning
    4- it neither has a head nor a foot so I don't have to think about which end is which.
    5- it has pull out tabs to tie out the body to prevent sway and pull the hammock fabric away from me
    I spent months and months lurking on HF. I read and watched and pondered and made lists of wants and....I've bought houses quicker! I got lucky. I just decided to bite the bullet and spend the mullah and I hit pay dirt. I love my Switchback.
    The gene pool needs a life guard.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Because...i can
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Original question answer ... my two favorites for camping ... my HHEX Mod4 and my DIY Jerry5. HHEX MOD4 for the comfort and flexibility of the new mod ... my DIY for some of the same reason and for it's extra size and room. For a quick grab and lounge hammock I love my WBT, ENODN or MY ENODN DIY Clone. All very easy to hang and comfy!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I went from the HH to the WBBB for various reasons. I put them head to head in a video series and explained why I was personally unhappy with the HH:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg4dumdEHAU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a743t...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=113yj...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1Kf-...eature=related

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    One thing that played maybe the biggest part of what I chose for my first hammock was the gear I already had. Some hammocks are very comfortable, but don't accomodate a pad as well as others. I wasn't looking to buy an UQ yet so I wanted something that would work well with my Thermarest pad. I got a Claytor Jungle. It's double layer design held the pad under me and I never slipped off. It aso could be setup on the ground as a bivy, and that made me feel better. I've yet to find somewhere I can't hang.

Now I use a WBBB and love it for all the reasons that have already been said.
    Last edited by miisterwright; 07-13-2010 at 16:37. Reason: Typo
    ~Bryan

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    I chose the HH because as a backpacker I wanted a light solution to a specific problem- the lack of level spots to pitch a tent in the areas I normally hike. Also, HH seemed to have the most complete package for a newbie.

The bonuses have been a much more comfortable nights sleep AND a dryer night's sleep due to less condensation that in one of those tiny little micro tents.

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    Oh, and like with all backpacking equipment, there's a learning curve. You buy, try, learn, learn some more, modify, try, learn, modify, upgrade, try . . . become obsessive, check the Hammock Forum 12 times a day . . .

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I started with DIY Risk Test style hammock (3-4 yards of fabric, gather the ends and tie off with an overhand knot, webbing tied to each end then Speer style 4 wrap friction knot to hang) and loved it for nap time and have since made more and purchased a few open style.

For all the bugs in our area, I knew I needed something with netting but didn't want to spend a ton without knowing how well I liked it so the next step for me was a HH Explorer UL purchased at REI - my thought was with their return policy it was a no risk trial. It worked well for me and I really liked it.

Then my wife tried it liked it and adopted it as her own so I needed to purchase another one for her which I did but in the smaller lighter version the Backpacker UL. It turns out she liked the roomier Explorer so the Backpacker went on the shelf as a loaner for my daughter if I could ever get her to camp and I purchased another HH Explorer UL for my wife.

That should have taken of care of the family needs since my son was a dedicated groundling. Well, he decided to get off the ground and wanted a WBBB thanks to some forum friends hooking him on it at a group hang.

Once he got the Blackbird and my wife tried the top load she decided that was what she really wanted but instead of another Blackbird, I sent the two HH Explorers off to 2Q/ZQ for a zipper modification. Now with both a top entry and bottom entry, the HH took on a new life until my wife decided she really liked the WBBB shelf so now she has one.

Not to be outdone by the rest of the family I purchased a BB for me too and now alternate between the HH and it.

Among the nice things about the WBBB is if you don't like it, it will sell on here in a matter of minutes. If you get a HH and decide to make a change to something else, it will sell on Whiteblaze.net pretty quickly.

Bottom line. Go to a group hang, try several. Get something. Try it, modify it, see what works best for you and welcome to our world.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast