Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images

Was it Love at First Sight?

I read all the stories about people trying out hammocks for one night and loving it and never looked back. I on the other hand have had a heck of a time trying to get more then 2 hours of sleep in them (HH, BB & BMBH). Granted, I've only been in a hammock for 3 nights, I am still game to try it some more.

Please tell me that my story is not unique and that there is hope for me yet. I refuse to go back to the ground! Are hangers made or are they born? Is determination alone enough to be come a hanger?

- S.

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    foam pad
    Suspension
    Warbonnet web
    To me it was all about finding that elusive sweet spot. Once you find it you will be in hammock bliss.Good luck.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    My first night of sleeping in a hammock was the first day of my thruhike of the AT. At that point I was pretty commited. Turns out I made a good chioce though and regretted the few times I slept in a shelter. That was 7 years ago and there a a world of options since then.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    have you experimented with the ENO/clones? they are very wide, and with an adjustable ridge line added you can try different amounts of sag and different degrees of digaonality (a real word?...maybe!) untill you get it just right!
    KM

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    You done explain what was causing you to stay awake???

Me ... I fell in love with hammock camping before I even had one by the concept, so I was tickled with the first night meeting and exceeding my expectations!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yeah, I think that love at first sight with hammocks is no different than with people; you have to be lucky. In hindsight, the hammock that made me fall head over heels was actually not a good hammock for me. Too small and too lightweight, but it shore was cheap.

I had a good idea of what I was doing since I had been surfing around here for a couple of weeks prior, but really just got lucky and hit the sweetest part of the hammock on the first try. I get in that hammock now and think "What the heck was I thinking!?" Again, like people, you'll find some good ones and some bad ones. Some there will be a future with, others you get rid of after one night.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    My first hammock on my own was, in retrospect, miserable.
    1: I got too small of a hammock.
    2: didn't have the right sag. In part because of inexperience & part cause the hammock was too short for a good sag.
    3: couldn't get diagonal because of #2.
    4: used VERY stretchy webbing to hang with, putting me on the ground after (usually) less than 4 hrs.
    5: etc.

It was still more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. And now I'm in the hammock so often, sleeping in a bed is a novel experience.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I read all the stories about people trying out hammocks for one night and loving it and never looked back. I on the other hand have had a heck of a time trying to get more then 2 hours of sleep in them (HH, BB & BMBH). Granted, I've only been in a hammock for 3 nights, I am still game to try it some more.

Please tell me that my story is not unique and that there is hope for me yet. I refuse to go back to the ground! Are hangers made or are they born? Is determination alone enough to be come a hanger?- S.
    I hung first, then talked with Shug about it, he told me about this forum. I was hooked by the lack of back pain in the a.m., even though I didn't sleep the best- so I used this forum to figure out how to hang better. Hey- lots of sag to the hammock, and sleep diagonally? WOW, who knew?!!

Love at first morning's light, and never looked back. I concur with the suggestion of using an ENO or DIY gathered-end 'mock to figure out what is most comfortable for you.

One question by way of comparison: do you sleep for more than 2 hours consecutively on the ground? I know I don't......

Images
    I am on my second round of trying. I bought a Hennessey a few years ago when they were pretty new to the scene. I gave it a good try, but could never stay warm enough. The bottom slit made it a real PITA to get in, get on top of the pad and into the sleeping bag.

A few months ago a buddy got a hammock and pointed me to Shug's videos and I ended up with a WBBB. I've only had it a few weeks and am getting situated. Much easier so far. I have a pad for insulation now but have an UQ on order from Stormcrow... I'm very hopeful this go-around.

Jury's still out but it's looking much better.

--Matt

Love at first sight for me. Of course I did a lot of research here mostly before deciding what to buy and I knew pretty much how ot hang it once it arrived. Turned out I had a lot of time to hang in the yarad before I actually went camping so I was well practiced once I started camping. I still look forward to getting home every evening and hanging a little. Kind of like taking a drink use to be........ RELAXING.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast