Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Modifying hammock for PP to fit better...

My DIY Speer type hammock is about 55" wide giving me alot of leg space (which I prefer). Problem is, the sides are so high that my PP wont lay on top of me. I have a space in between me and the PP when I lay in it. Thus Im often needing to put a top quilt on top of me to stay warm even when the PP is totally closed up. (Im thinking winter here of course). I was wondering if others had a similar problem with their setup. Im toying with the idea of cutting my sides down in a curvature length wise way to help the PP to lay closer to my bod.
    Any ideas out there?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    When you made your hammock, did you pull the corners some before you whipped it? If so, you ought to be able to re-whip it while putting less tension on the sides of the material.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    +1 for re-whipping as Angrysparrow suggested... usually, if you gather the ends of a wide hammock through a channel, so all of it is gathered the same amount, the sides will be too low.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Oh yeah!! I remember that now.. thanks guys. I purposely whipped it for the sides to be higher so I could get that bath tub feel. Guess I got some experimenting to do.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawldaddy View Post
    Oh yeah!! I remember that now.. thanks guys. I purposely whipped it for the sides to be higher so I could get that bath tub feel. Guess I got some experimenting to do.
    A more narrow hammock can be a sweet deal with the ppod. Although, it's- as oft it is- still a matter of pros and cons and what you want. For ex, with those high sides, if you are able to stay warm despite the high sides, it can sure be nice and roomy in the hammock with a pod.

But, when trying to maximize warmth to weight with a pod, my Claytor No Net(CNN) (a narrow hammock) has been my best bet. It allows the Pea Pod to drape right down on my body in many locations, and it is only slightly raised in other spots. Particularly if laying mid-line, which is pretty doable with the CNN. That makes it pretty warm all by itself with out a TQ. By just using clothing to drape over my chest and neck area, I had an "OK" night mid-20s, and plenty warm in the low 30s. It would have been a lot more luxurious using a very light TQ. But using the warm clothing I brought for camp ware anyway, to bridge the "gap", really saved some weight.

• + New Posts